Successful HDTV Antennas in Santiago/La Vega areas?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Has anyone tried an HDTV Antenna in the Santiago/La Vega areas?

How many HD channels does it actually picks up?

I'm talking about an antenna as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BN5Z2WM

I have a feeling this type of antenna might not work as well in the Santiago/La Vega areas (or anywhere in the DR for that matter), but I could be wrong.

Quick review of the 35 mile (56 km) long range version (there's a 50 mile -80 km- long range version too and perhaps other more powerful antennas).

[video=youtube;0fEQOTkUeRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fEQOTkUeRs[/video]

These antennas could make a nice gift for some people, but first they need to work. lol

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
First "Fake News", and then there?s "Fake HD Antenna".

Don?t waste your money, there is no such thing as a HD antenna, it?s a sales ploy.

HD channels are in the same frequency range as regular TV channels.
Any antenna that works on regular TV also works on HD TV channels.

Years ago, my son paid over a $100 for a "special" HD antenna. He was having trouble hooking it up and asked me to help. While he was at the TV end, I was on the roof. He told me to stop moving the antenna, it was getting great reception. I told him to come outside and check it out. I had connected a piece of wire to the antenna cable, not the $100+ antenna.

I made my point with him.

He promptly returned the $100+ antenna to Radio Shack.

Aug 6, 2006
Youtube describes how to make an HDTV antenna with salvaged wire coathangers and several pieces of wood.
Te design is probably better than rabbit ears.
Is anyone BROADCASTING in HDTV format? I have not heard of this.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Has anyone tried an HDTV Antenna in the Santiago/La Vega areas?

How many HD channels does it actually picks up?

I'm talking about an antenna as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BN5Z2WM

I have a feeling this type of antenna might not work as well in the Santiago/La Vega areas (or anywhere in the DR for that matter), but I could be wrong.

Quick review of the 35 mile (56 km) long range version (there's a 50 mile -80 km- long range version too and perhaps other more powerful antennas).

[video=youtube;0fEQOTkUeRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fEQOTkUeRs[/video]

These antennas could make a nice gift for some people, but first they need to work. lol

Cable providers and for that matter dish providers, such as, Claro or Sky, are not, I believe, HD capable at this time. Having an "HD" antenna won't solve this.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As far as I know, there are no "over-the-air" stations broadcasting in HD here. You'll need a cable service for that. Last I heard the mandatory transition to digital broadcasting in the DR has been further delayed.*

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If you want HD especially American channels in HD you will need 2 five foot dishes with 3 lnb's (antennas in middle of dish, to pick up 3 different satellites) and a dishnetwork receiver with a paid subscription (with a US address).

Now if you have a good internet connection you may be able to get this online, but then you need to get around the new measures designed to block VPN and fake US based IP addresses since these channels are not technically allowed to be broadcast outside the US (you are supposed to buy the channels from the local distributor like Claro/Sky etc).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you want HD especially American channels in HD you will need 2 five foot dishes with 3 lnb's (antennas in middle of dish, to pick up 3 different satellites) and a dishnetwork receiver with a paid subscription (with a US address).
We have one 6' dish and two LNB's for our Dish Network package based in Tampa. Works well for HD.

One caveat: you cannot receive local stations with a US based satellite TV subscription. Those stations are on a "spot beam", a narrow broadcast to just the local area. So we cannot receive major broadcast network programming from ABC, CBS and NBC.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
We have one 6' dish and two LNB's for our Dish Network package based in Tampa. Works well for HD.

One caveat: you cannot receive local stations with a US based satellite TV subscription. Those stations are on a "spot beam", a narrow broadcast to just the local area. So we cannot receive major broadcast network programming from ABC, CBS and NBC.

I have ABC NBC etc but not in HD. Maybe that's what my 2nd dish is for.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have ABC NBC etc but not in HD. Maybe that's what my 2nd dish is for.

New York channels are on a conus beam, not spot beam.
So is your subscription using a New York or New Jersey address?
If so, that would explain why you get ABC and NBC.
You should also be getting CBS I would think in that case.