Moving Boxes and Supplies

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Hello DR1 Friends and Family,

Unfortunately we have to move back to the States. Earlier this year our dear son was diagnosed with Autism (high-functioning in some categories and low-functioning in others). As such, we need a wide array of treatment and therapy options. Unfortunately, the options we need are not available here in the beautiful country we have called home for almost two years.

We are packing up the important things and selling the others. We need moving boxes that are uniform in size-the type one can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. Is there anywhere in Santo Domingo to get these types of boxes and other supplies like shrink wrap, packing peanuts, and bubble wrap? Thanks so much in advance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hello DR1 Friends and Family,

Unfortunately we have to move back to the States. Earlier this year our dear son was diagnosed with Autism (high-functioning in some categories and low-functioning in others). As such, we need a wide array of treatment and therapy options. Unfortunately, the options we need are not available here in the beautiful country we have called home for almost two years.

We are packing up the important things and selling the others. We need moving boxes that are uniform in size-the type one can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. Is there anywhere in Santo Domingo to get these types of boxes and other supplies like shrink wrap, packing peanuts, and bubble wrap? Thanks so much in advance.

Office Depot has two locations in SD. One on Churchill in Julieta Morales, and one in the Galeria on Kennedy. They should have what you need.*

Sorry to hear you're going through this, and wish you the best of luck. *Have you actually found a way to ship these boxes home? *Many have asked about that and not found a solution.*

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Office Depot has two locations in SD. One on Churchill in Julieta Morales, and one in the Galeria on Kennedy. They should have what you need.*

Sorry to hear you're going through this, and wish you the best of luck. *Have you actually found a way to ship these boxes home? *Many have asked about that and not found a solution.*

I was just about to ask the same thing because if so would not the international shipper be able to provide shipping materials?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I moved and shipped from Santo Domingo and got the boxes from Mailboxes Etc, the branch I went to was next to Jumbo in Luperon, but they have several others. They also sell all the packing tapes and the bubble wrap. For shipping you need a particular specification of box, I think they need to be double-walled cargo boxes or something like that, and I was advised to get them in Mailboxes Etc as they were the right type.

A word of advice, make an inventory of everything you are packing and don't seal the boxes. The shipper will need to check the contents and they then seal them with huge rolls of clingfilm and tape. The bubble wrap is particularly expensive, so I just wrapped things in towels and bed linen and this cut the cost down quite a bit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cannot offer any advice on moving but i'm sorry to hear about this diagnosis and i wish you the best. stay strong and focused. hope the move goes well too.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Thanks to all for your help and well-wishes. We love this country, warts and all. However, family comes first, and I would do anything necessary to aid my son and his struggle. I have a shipper that is helping me get everything to Florida.

You guys have been a wonderful source of laughter y desahogo durante nuestra estad?a aqu? en el pa?s. Gracias por contar sus experiencias, tanto sus luchas como sus logros. Han sido un oasis en el medio de un desierto. Bendiciones.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
what part of the USA are you going to...... have been trying to do the same thing in reverse??