Buy a flat advices & suggestion about window and door frames (wood/aluminium)

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi to everyone,
we saw a new condominium project in Las Terrenas (about 1.5 km from the sea). They use to install windows and door in wood. As european we like aluminium frames much more than wood. Any suggestion about pro & cons?
We saw, in that area a lot of buildings and houses still use wood (also buildings located near the beaches).
Please feel free to give any kind of advice. And..the project will be located in the area near SuperPola about 300 meters ahead (direction Bus terminal) in the same side of SuperPola. Is that a good area or is it a dangerous area? Any idea? For safety reasons we would like to buy the flat on the 2nd floor instead ground floor. We have the option to choose also 3rd floor. What do you suggest for the safety reason?
Thanks a lot

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is wood and there is wood. If the windows and doors are being installed in oak then the builder is offering more quality than if he were using aluminium, with few exceptions. Aluminium frames, doors and windows, nevertheless, require little maintenance and last longer.

DR1 Forum readers have always recommended others to rent prior to buying in order to feel out if the area is right for you.

The Super Pola area is smack in the commercial area of Las Terrenas, and would not call that a dangerous area, but it could be noisy. Take note that the higher up you are, the more you will hear the noise.

Regarding security, you will have to see what provisions the condominium will be providing.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It's all about noise and bars. You need to have some type of noise-proof windows & doors, as the village can get VERY noisy. Also you WILL need bars, as thieves are getting bolder by the day.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi to everyone,
we saw a new condominium project in Las Terrenas (about 1.5 km from the sea). They use to install windows and door in wood. As european we like aluminium frames much more than wood. Any suggestion about pro & cons?
We saw, in that area a lot of buildings and houses still use wood (also buildings located near the beaches).
Please feel free to give any kind of advice. And..the project will be located in the area near SuperPola about 300 meters ahead (direction Bus terminal) in the same side of SuperPola. Is that a good area or is it a dangerous area? Any idea? For safety reasons we would like to buy the flat on the 2nd floor instead ground floor. We have the option to choose also 3rd floor. What do you suggest for the safety reason?
Thanks a lot

If you are not "beach people" and don't mind not being very close to the water this may be an option. Hopefully the price of the condo reflects this. If this project is gated and will have good security then this location may be fine. I would not buy on the first floor. Make sure you have screens for your windows, overhead fans and of course a/c. Will this project have a back up generator system. I owned a condo in Don Cesear at the beginning of the beach road, diagnally across from the Fisherman's Village, of bar and restaurants. I said I owned, for 6 years, and finally sold. The location and security were great. The design and materials used for the project could have been better quality. They used cheap, small metal hot water tanks that rusted out after a year. I finally went to an on demand hot water system to eliminate the use of a tank. I would highly suggest this. I had problems with electrical outlets and breaker switches. the appliances which looked nice were medium grade. Personally, depending on your personal situation, I would not be overly be in a rush to buy. If you don't know the area well rent for a year or two to get the feel as a resident and not a tourist. This is very important to experience "real" life in LT. If I had to do it again I would rent. My wife and I spent 6-7 months a year in the DR. If you are considering living in the DR full time than buying may be a better option. The other thing to consider is what is the monthly maintanence fee. I was paying a very reasonable rate of around $175us dollars a month. Many of these projects are double that. As far as wood or aluminum frames they both have pro's and con's and I don't think it will make a big long term difference. Are you legal residents? How are you financing your purchase? What will you have for transportation? These are all things to consider before buying. Be very careful paying any money upfront for a project that has not progressed to the building stage. Do not sign any agreement until a local attorney has reviewed it. There is a Guzman law office in town. They are very reputable. Good luck and good travels.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In the DR if it's not mahogany, fiberglass or stainless steel then it's temporary. Termites here are a big problem. Not sure about pressure treated wood as in the US it contains arsenic. Termites here will eat the furniture right out from under you. Once they are in the house there is no stopping them
They ate my interior doors and closets. I like existing construction. Good luck

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
One disadvantage of metal windows and doors is that if the sun hits them directly they get really hot and pass on the heat into the room (almost radiate it !), I have first hand experience with this (it gets so hot you can not touch the metal frame of the window in the summer in my place) and it's terrible - wood is better in that respect (I can imagine fiberglass should transfer less hit than metal too....)