Dozens of Americans Become Dominican Citizens

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I'm married to a Dominican and will also go this route shortly and obtain my Dominican Citizenship. It has nothing do do with who is president in the U.S. but everything to do with having an escape route if everything blows up over there economically, as I believe it will no matter who is in charge. All the sins committed economically since the U.S. went off the gold standard in 1971 will come home to roost someday soon I believe and when it does the U.S. will be the last place anyone will want to live. A nice small (although loco) Island Country will be just the place to ride out the craziness that will surely happen in all the developed world when the debts have to be paid, one way or the other. Just my opinion...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm married to a Dominican and will also go this route shortly and obtain my Dominican Citizenship. It has nothing do do with who is president in the U.S. but everything to do with having an escape route if everything blows up over there economically, as I believe it will no matter who is in charge. All the sins committed economically since the U.S. went off the gold standard in 1971 will come home to roost someday soon I believe and when it does the U.S. will be the last place anyone will want to live. A nice small (although loco) Island Country will be just the place to ride out the craziness that will surely happen in all the developed world when the debts have to be paid, one way or the other. Just my opinion...

I would say your theory has no basis in reality. Remember "paradise doesn't come without a price." In terms of economics, the U.S. is still much more stable than a "banana republic".

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I agree with you LTSteve during normal conditions, but what I'm talking about is what I believe (my opinion) will occur upon a major economic collapse that I see coming in the near future (who knows how near). The highly spoiled citizens in the debt fueled world will not take kindly to a new lower reality, where here in the DR the people have never known anything but the poor economic conditions. There will be little adjustment here in the DR whereby I see a huge adjustment coming in the developed world which will cause crazy happenings... that's all...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The article doesn't give an exact number other than to say they are part of a total of 664 Americans who have regularized their status which I assume means citizens.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2016/12/19/61741/In-a-switch-dozens-of-Americans-become-Dominican-citizens

And please don't post US Presidential politics in this thread. Those posts will be dealt with swiftly and with extreme prejudice.

The article says that the Americans who have become Dominican citizens are "part of a group" who of 664 have regularized their status, so I imagine that only a few have become citizens, the rest having taken part in the Regularizacion process that took place a couple of years ago.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A few examples of how citizenship can benefit a foreigner:

1.  I can permanently validate my aircraft maintenance license for a Dominican one which would permit me to work on certify Dominican registered aircraft.  At the moment I have to redo it every six months.

2.  I can validate my pilot's license and legally fly for a Dominican airline.  Dominican pilot's union is very strong here and do not permit foreign pilots flying for Dominican companies.  PAWA have made an exception and some of their pilots are Venezuelan, but as soon as a Dominican pilot is available with similar qualifications they will fire the Venezuelan in favour of the Dominican.

I can only comment in my particular field of expertise, but I can assume that any profession that requires a license, probably has the same restrictions for foreigners.  Perhaps medicine, dentistry and law are a few examples that may also apply.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Add the no Cedula renewal process beez
just a new card, no testing, trips to SDQ.

Less hassle in an everchanging Migracion world.

Renewals were easy a few years ago.... a PIA these days from what I read.

No more for me.... citizenship !!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can also become an official legal translator (can't if not Dominican) as Beeza was saying. Inheritance tax is less and, should you wish to, can stand for public office for all positions apart from President and Vice-President. You can also vote.

Matilda

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
The article says that the Americans who have become Dominican citizens are "part of a group" who of 664 have regularized their status, so I imagine that only a few have become citizens, the rest having taken part in the Regularizacion process that took place a couple of years ago.
I did this and have this paper in my pasport but have never herd anything more about it. Though it was a joke and going no ware.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I think you mean residency. Residency and citizenship are two different things.

I seem to remember one can also get citizenship if married to a Domincan, but I'm not sure where to find info on that. I'm gonna do it myself now that I tied the knot again.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

I seem to remember one can also get citizenship if married to a Domincan, but I'm not sure where to find info on that. I'm gonna do it myself now that I tied the knot again.

There are various routes to gaining citizenship, the most straightforward and quickest is if you are married to a Dominican. However you still need to have residency first - temporary or permanent, you need to have held it for 6 months and it needs 6 months left to run before it expires. This is for both men and women. Up to 2 years ago women did not need to have residency first. The requirements for the different types of citizenship are here http://www.mip.gob.do/index.php/2015-10-16-17-29-28.

Please note the average waiting time is now 2 years after you have passed all of the requirements, supposedly to wait for an Interpol report, but really methinks as they were overwhelmed.

And congratulations JDJones.

Matilda

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005

No you didn't, did you? In a church?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm going ahead on citizenship.
Not that hard paperwork wise, but as Matilda says , the waiting time is getting longer.

I think you get the cedula and then need to wait for the citizenship ceremony.
But the cedula carries you, if I understand it correctly 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'm going ahead on citizenship.
Not that hard paperwork wise, but as Matilda says , the waiting time is getting longer.

I think you get the cedula and then need to wait for the citizenship ceremony.
But the cedula carries you, if I understand it correctly 

Incorrect. You submit all the required paperwork, get appt for the interview in Spanish. Pass interview and then wait for security checks - DNI, DNCD and Interpol. Once those are done you get date for swearing in then get piece of paper which you take to Junta to get Dominican birth cert. Once you have that you take back to Junta to get Dominican cedula. If you are a woman, all is in your maiden name so go back again to Junta with marriage cert and get new cedula in married name.

What carries you is the fact you are in process so my cedula and residency are out of date but have letter from MIP to say in process.

Matilda

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I obtained my residency before I got married. In fact my wife and I were married in the US and my cedula still shows as me being single in the D.R.. So I don't know if being married to a Dominican has anything to do with residency or citizenship. We did own property together in Santo Domingo which maybe helped expedite things. I've been a resident for around ten years and have considered becoming a citizen if only to avoid having to renew my "permanent" residency but don't know which route will result in the least hassle over all.