atm

Art Vandelay

Dec 15, 2016
Hola,
I'll be driving around the DR for a couple weeks and would rather not have wads of US dollars or the hassle of travellers cheques but i will be mostly in places that won't take credit cards.
I would like to use my RBC debit card ( interac ). I thought i would go to a bank ATM each time i'm in town.
Is interac compatible at all bank ATMs ?
Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A lot of cards have small limits per day of what you can get. At the very least change some Dollars to Pesos for a reserve.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
First, travellers cheques are useless here. Second, a wad of cash, especially if flashed will cause problems.
The ATM's here take all the normal cards, not sure what RBC belongs to. Others will chime in.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Wherever you try to withdraw money, try to do it at a bank during business hours. That way if the atm swallows your card, you won't have to jump through too many hoops to get it back.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hola,
I'll be driving around the DR for a couple weeks and would rather not have wads of US dollars or the hassle of travellers cheques but i will be mostly in places that won't take credit cards.
I would like to use my RBC debit card ( interac ). I thought i would go to a bank ATM each time i'm in town.
Thanks

Cirrus, Plus, ATM are the most commont brands that can be used in the ATM here. Check in the back of your credit card and if you see the logo and name of one of those you will be able to use your RBC card in most of ATM here in the Dominican Republic.

About the amount per day that you can take you can tell your bank how much money you want to have avilable per day. The banks charge arround 2.00 US Dollars per transaction to international cards so you better calculate how much money you will need per day and take it at one time the money for few days to skip the charge of 2.00 Dollars per each transaction.

Art Vandelay

Dec 15, 2016
Good answer Riva, thanks. It does have a "PLUS" symbol on the back of my card. Now i just have to worry about the maximum withdrawl.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Wherever you try to withdraw money, try to do it at a bank during business hours. That way if the atm swallows your card, you won't have to jump through too many hoops to get it back.

I've had that happen twice in the DR. Te one time the bank was open and they thought it was a heavy imposition me asking them to open the machine and take out my card. I was even told not to come back trying to use their ATM! Puerto Plata Banreservas.
Der Fish

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Art,

Generally you can only get 10,000 pesos per transaction. That has been my experience.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
When in the DR, we always use Bano Popular atm machines for withdrawals - with our BMO access card. We usually take out 10,000 pesos at a time and their machine charged 195 peso fee - depending on the day and exchange rate, my home bank showed withdrawals of approximately $300 Canadian. At the end of the month, BMO charged one $5.00 Cirrus fee. Earlier I had used my TD access card and they charged me $5.00 Canadian for EVERY transaction!!! Not sure about RBC but, I will NOT use TD again if I can help it.

Debbie Short

Feb 27, 2016
We find Scotiabank the best for Canadians in the DR. There are NO fees to withdraw at their ATMs in the DR and none at the Canadian end. Saves a lot on transaction fees. Maximum withdrawal is 10,000 RD (approx. 300.00 CAD) per transaction, but that is per person on the account.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
You are able to withdraw a maximum of 10,000 pesos a day (little more than $200 us) the RBC (Royal bank of Canada) will change a $5 fee per transaction. Depending the ATM if the bank will change you more..

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Bring two different cards from two different banks. Don't keep them in the same place. Such as one in your wallet (that is in your zippered pocket), and put the other one in a secret fold of your luggage.

Recently USAA canceled one of my cards because it didn't have a chip. Cards are put on hold for fraud or similar. You can loss a card, they can get stolen. Always have backups.

And, be sure to let your bank know about your travel plans.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
In past years, I used the atm at Scotiabank but.... this past trip, it would not take my debit card although I had used the same card there in prior years. This year I found the only atm that would accept it was Banco Popular which was good as their machines were closer and did not require a taxi into town... we stay in Costambar.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola,
Thanks

I am not sure what card you are using but make sure you notify the credit card company prior to coming to the DR so they are aware you are using there, otherwise it may be rejected by the local ATM.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Banco Popular no longer accept foreign credit cards on their ATM system. You need to go inside and they work there provided you have your passport with you.

When in the DR, we always use Bano Popular atm machines for withdrawals - with our BMO access card. We usually take out 10,000 pesos at a time and their machine charged 195 peso fee - depending on the day and exchange rate, my home bank showed withdrawals of approximately $300 Canadian. At the end of the month, BMO charged one $5.00 Cirrus fee. Earlier I had used my TD access card and they charged me $5.00 Canadian for EVERY transaction!!! Not sure about RBC but, I will NOT use TD again if I can help it.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I opened up a Charles Schwab checking account solely for the D.R. I don't get charged atm fees or foreign transaction fees. Plus my debit card works everywhere. Be careful some banks will only allow you to withdraw 2 to 4k pesos at a time. That gets annoying quick