Odebrecht and Braskem Plead Guilty and Agree to Pay at Least $3.5 Billion in Global P

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
These are the boys from Brazil who were uncovered in the "Operation Car Wash"....Odebrecht and Braskem used millions of dollars to bribe government officials around the world......lets focus on the DR.....

*"In or about and between 2001 and 2014, ODEBRECHT made and caused to be made more than $98 million in corrupt payments to government officials and intermediaries working on their behalf in the Dominican Republic. ODEBRECHT realized benefits of more than $163 million as a result of these corrupt payments"

*Page 19 Section D #54

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/919911/download

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/odeb...pay-least-35-billion-global-penalties-resolve

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-corruption-usa-idUSKBN14A1QE

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
16i8q4n.png

Relationship between bribes and results (sales) in Latin America according to US Attorney Eastern District of NY Robert L. Capers and Chief Fraud Section Criminal Division US Department of Justice Andrew Weissmann

Attachments

• Odebrecht sales.png
    Odebrecht sales.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From the US Justice Department document referenced above:

The Dominican Republic
In or about and between 2001 and 2014, Odebrecht made and caused to be made more than $92 million in corrupt payments to government officials and intermediaries working on their behalf in the Dominican Republic. Odebrecht realized benefits of more than $163 million as a result of these corrupt payments.

For example, in order to secure certain public works contracts in the Dominican Republic, Odebrecht paid bribes to an intermediary responsible for interfacing with the government with the understanding that the intermediary would pass the money, in part, to government officials. Most of the payments were made with unrecorded funds from the Division of Structured Operations with the authorization of Odebrecht Employee 6. Through this agreement, Odebrecht was able to influence government budget and financing approvals for certain projects in the Dominican Republic.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
From the US Justice Department document referenced above:

The Dominican Republic
In or about and between 2001 and 2014, Odebrecht made and caused to be made more than $92 million in corrupt payments to government officials and intermediaries working on their behalf in the Dominican Republic. Odebrecht realized benefits of more than $163 million as a result of these corrupt payments.

For example, in order to secure certain public works contracts in the Dominican Republic, Odebrecht paid bribes to an intermediary responsible for interfacing with the government with the understanding that the intermediary would pass the money, in part, to government officials. Most of the payments were made with unrecorded funds from the Division of Structured Operations with the authorization of Odebrecht Employee 6. Through this agreement, Odebrecht was able to influence government budget and financing approvals for certain projects in the Dominican Republic.

In 28 yeas in construction in the Miami area only 3 companies beat me out of my money, and one of them was Oderbrecht of Brazil
Der Fish

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Corruption appears to be much more efficient in the D.R. than in other Latin American countries.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Corruption appears to be much more efficient in the D.R. than in other Latin American countries.

I read the sales vs the bribes with the DR being much less efficient than other countries. It could be my interpretation of that chart.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Too bad.

They can engineer and build one heckuva road...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
These are the boys from Brazil who were uncovered in the "Operation Car Wash"....Odebrecht and Braskem used millions of dollars to bribe government officials around the world......lets focus on the DR.....

*"In or about and between 2001 and 2014, ODEBRECHT made and caused to be made more than $98 million in corrupt payments to government officials and intermediaries working on their behalf in the Dominican Republic. ODEBRECHT realized benefits of more than $163 million as a result of these corrupt payments"

*Page 19 Section D #54

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/919911/download

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/odeb...pay-least-35-billion-global-penalties-resolve

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-corruption-usa-idUSKBN14A1QE

Sadly, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Graft is a way of life for many in the DR. It is the way business has been done since the Spanish settled Santo Domingo.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
16i8q4n.png

Relationship between bribes and results (sales) in Latin America according to US Attorney Eastern District of NY Robert L. Capers and Chief Fraud Section Criminal Division US Department of Justice Andrew Weissmann

The chart is missing data about Brazil..........Known Bribery $349 million--Resulting sales/bribery $1.9 billion......

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I read the sales vs the bribes with the DR being much less efficient than other countries. It could be my interpretation of that chart.

The DR got proportionally more bribe money for the amount sold to them than most of the other countries.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015

You are correct.....turns out the most efficient was Argentina followed by Peru then Mexico..... DR is last in efficiency of sales vs the bribe....it really shows how greedy the politicos here are...... ;)

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
This is the correct way the Dominican prosecutor should proceed......no sacred cows...

Authorities Raid Brazilian Construction Group Odebrecht’s Offices in Ecuador

QUITO – Ecuadorian authorities raided the offices in Guayaquil of Brazilian construction group Odebrecht early Friday, seizing documents and computer equipment that could provide evidence to support allegations that more than $35.5 million in bribes were paid to government officials.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2427780&CategoryId=14089

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
President Medina this is the way you should be responding to this scandal........

Peru says it will nix key Odebrecht contract if won through bribes

Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski said he will terminate a $5 billion natural gas pipeline contract if it is found to have been won with bribes, even if corruption-plagued Brazilian builder Odebrecht exits the project.

In a videotaped interview with financial daily Gestion posted online on Tuesday, Kuczynski said some of the $29 million in bribes that Odebrecht [ODBES.UL] recently acknowledged distributing in Peru may have been used to win the pipeline contract in 2014, which would trigger "termination of the contract" if true.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-peru-odebrecht-corruption-idUSKBN14G1DU

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Nothing will come of this in the DR. Business as usual. All is forgiven folks. Keep robbing and please don't forget to deposit my share to my Popular account so that I can purchase my shiny new Jeepeta!!

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Nothing will come of this in the DR. Business as usual. All is forgiven folks. Keep robbing and please don't forget to deposit my share to my Popular account so that I can purchase my shiny new Jeepeta!!

This is exactly the mindset that keeps things exactly as they are.......status quo state of mind....jeje