Container of TVs stolen in Boca Chica

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Got TVs?

From what I understand, Aduana held the shipment pending payment of duty for the TVs. They took the entire container with them.

Computer translation:
A group of hooded men armed with pistols, still unidentified by the authorities, carried out near midnight on Wednesday the theft of a container containing 1,163 televisions plasmas, after penetrating a restricted area of ​​the port of Boca Chica.

After bursting into that area, the thieves gagged and beat the port and military security personnel stationed at that terminal.

The Directorate General of Customs (DGA) has announced that officers of the Department of Security Supervision and Customs Intelligence of the agency, together with a team of officers of the Department of Trafficking of Goods of the National Police, carried out operations and site investigations for Find the perpetrators of this criminal action.

The institution also warned that it will bring to justice, as accomplices, merchants or individuals who purchase or store stolen goods.

Customs reported that six security guards were investigating the port, including two of that body, two from the Specialized Port Security Corps (CESEP), two security guards and an Army captain, who also served in that guard.

According to a report from the authorities, the van contained 1,163 televisions plasmas of different brands and sizes.

It was registered with the No. SMLU851152-9 and was found empty in the morning yesterday, Thursday, two kilometers from San Pedro de Macor?s, near the Autov?a del Este, in the section San Pedro-La Romana.

Another person, whom investigators believe could be involved in theft and armed assault on the port facility, is questioned by police and officials from various Customs agencies.

The J-2, the National Investigations Department (DNI) and other agencies of the Ministry of Defense are collaborating in the investigations.

"The General Directorate of Customs will be drastic with those persons who participated in this serious assault, and shall proceed in justice against any merchant, persons or society who have been involved in the act, acquiring to negotiate or guarding said goods." DGA in a press release.

Customs officials said late yesterday that the case could be resolved soon after the arrest of one of the people alleged to have acted in the robbery and whose identity has not been revealed until further progress in the investigations.

(+)
TIED TO GUARDIANS and beat MILITARY
The assault and robbery container full of televisions and other goods in a restricted area of the port of Boca Chica by six armed criminals pistols, it occurred at around 11 : 00 pm Wednesday night. The criminals penetrated port territory on one side of the port after knocking down with the tail of the truck head the metal gate that protects the area. Subsequently, and surprisingly, the individuals tied the six security guards and struck one of the weapons with the military officer belonging to the Army. Since dawn, when the theft alert was issued, members of the Security and Customs Intelligence Supervisor, together with the National Police and judicial authorities of the province, set up several operations to arrest those responsible for the robbery.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-con-1163-televisores-en-puerto-de-boca-chica

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Boy someone must have had a BIG leftover inventory......

Plasmas were discontinued a couple of years ago.......

I think??

Not surprised they ended up here though....

What a shock!

Someone stole all of them.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Boy someone must have had a BIG leftover inventory......

Plasmas were discontinued a couple of years ago.......

I think??

Not surprised they ended up here though....

What a shock!

Someone stole all of them.....

I thought it was just the word Dominicans used for 'flat screen TV'. Anyone know?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Definitely an inside job. The only people knowing the contents are the ones with access to data base and paperwork, to include aduanas opening sealed container for "inspection".

Regards,

PJT

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I thought it was just the word Dominicans used for 'flat screen TV'. Anyone know?

Yes, Dominican 'plasma' includes LCD. I tried correcting my girlfriend when she called the LCD plasma and she clarified that it's any flat screen. They will say 'plasma' with a great deal of pride, so never a television which is assumed to be the old school tube units and still in use here in my barrio.

There's a guy around the corner who is a wizard with tube units and has quite a collection that spills out onto the street. I'm always amused when I walk by because there's no obvious need for security or protection from the rain.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Plasma ?? was that Container Stuck in customs since 1997 ?

They stopped MARKETING these in like 2014

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Plasma ?? was that Container Stuck in customs since 1997 ?

They stopped MARKETING these in like 2014

Yes, Dominican 'plasma' includes LCD. I tried correcting my girlfriend when she called the LCD plasma and she clarified that it's any flat screen. They will say 'plasma' with a great deal of pride, so never a television which is assumed to be the old school tube units and still in use here in my barrio.

Dominican-eze.*

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
An amusing event. The policy of the DR government is one that works against the interests of the normal person regarding televisions. The ridiculously high import duties on TVs makes them a "precious commodity" here instead of just a common item. It is almost like large TV's are illegal and you have to pay this exorbitant price to get them when you walk into a retailer that has last years 65" refurbished lefotover model at a price 4 times higher than this years latest version would be in the US.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Several years ago I looked at a tv for sale here on the north coast and when I checked the serial number the unit was 8 years old.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Agreed windy. Which is why I think they will track these down rather quickly. Loose lips and all.

Like the guy in San Cristobal who found all that money in the dump. He shared it, and people talked. *

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not to be cynical but I have a strong hunch the case will go unsolved. That's a lot of tv.