Hanukkah party in Sosua

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Hanukkah Party in Sosua on Wednesday the 28th at 6.00 p.m. PM me for location.

Latkes will be served!!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I'm surprised that you didn't get a much better response. Given that Sosua was based on WWII Jewish settlements with many of those families still in Sosua, I would have thought that the Synagogue would have been involved. BTW... the Synagogue has a great historical museum that should not be missed.

We have a few gringo friends celebrating Hanukkah and have Latkes... and a Christmas tree too. We have Dominican friends and professionals that support the Catholic Church and causes but also have the Star of David and the Cross of Jesus around their necks and displayed in their office's.

It's simply a time of Happy holidays and goodwill to all.

If only for a little while.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know how many times i've heard the word "latke" in the last few weeks. now i gotta make 'em myself, dammit. few weeks ago i made kugel and it was super tasty. i know latkes from home, potato pancakes are a staple in poland. and my parents used to make potato pie (basically, modified kugel) often.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
i don't know how many times i've heard the word "latke" in the last few weeks. now i gotta make 'em myself, dammit. few weeks ago i made kugel and it was super tasty. i know latkes from home, potato pancakes are a staple in poland. and my parents used to make potato pie (basically, modified kugel) often.

DV8. Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas. Enjoy and share each greeting while you can and the pain in the ???? that it may cause you. That pain of sharing is part of sharing history and life.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

You should have called! I am the latke queen.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm surprised that you didn't get a much better response. Given that Sosua was based on WWII Jewish settlements with many of those families still in Sosua, I would have thought that the Synagogue would have been involved. BTW... the Synagogue has a great historical museum that should not be missed.

We have a few gringo friends celebrating Hanukkah and have Latkes... and a Christmas tree too. We have Dominican friends and professionals that support the Catholic Church and causes but also have the Star of David and the Cross of Jesus around their necks and displayed in their office's.

It's simply a time of Happy holidays and goodwill to all.

If only for a little while.

The synagogue is completely inactive and there are very, very few of the original settler families who still have a presence here.

So I did a Jew-it-yourself party tonight. And oy! the dishes!

But the party on Wednesday will be superb!

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Meemselle, sounds fun. I did not even know what Hanukkah party was/is. I am not in the DR unfortunately.

The Jewish history in Sosua is very interesting to me and i have read a few things about it. Do you happen to know up to what point in time the Jewish synagogue was fairly active in Sosua? Are we talking 1990 or 2000 or even later.... Regarding the original Jewish families - are there any left at all?

Wish you a nice party/MM

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The synagogue is used a few times a year. It is well maintained. There are a few families still in Sosua.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the synagogue looks good. it may not be used much but it is taken care of. i enjoyed the museum as well. shame about the cemetery being locked up. but the wall is low enough to climb it, even if wearing a dress. so i heard.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
the synagogue looks good. it may not be used much but it is taken care of. i enjoyed the museum as well. shame about the cemetery being locked up. but the wall is low enough to climb it, even if wearing a dress. so i heard.

It's fine for the synagogue to look good and I am glad it does. But unless the building is used and brought to live with an active, engaged community, it's just another building.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The descendants who own it and maintain it are happy with using it occasionally. It is in good hands.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The Chanukkah party tonight was absolutely fabu! I was one of 3 organizers, and to tell you the truth: we expected perhaps 8-10 peeps. We had an incredible international crowd of some 35-40!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who came. The latkes were awesome; the sufganiot were to die; and I think/hope all who attended had a wondair time. I know once I got over my "hostess hots," I enjoyed myself immensely.

Kudos to Bryn and Gaby and Papolo!

Chag Sameach Chanukkah!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sufganiot, you say? classic polish sweets as well, down to the type of filling (but sans religious regulations regarding ingredients/preparation). i wonder how many polish dishes were borrowed from jewish cuisine?

and i swear, i was looking at pączki recipes last night and set up for making them sometime in january...