A Few L.T Questions

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I am returning to The Alisei for the fourth consecutive year in Feb. There is actually a direct flight from Ottawa this year to AZS . YEAH!!!!

Anyhow, 2 questions :

1)Does anyone know if the German restaurant Navia is still open? The last Trip Adviser review appears to be from last March.

2)Given that we are staying at the Alisei I find the little calmado on the side street almost across from Coco Plaza tremendously convenient. Three years ago it was open , Two years ago it was closed , last year it was open. Can anyone tell me the status as of now ?

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Can only answer your first question. Navias closed its doors last spring. They went back to Germany.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am returning to The Alisei for the fourth consecutive year in Feb. There is actually a direct flight from Ottawa this year to AZS . YEAH!!!!

Anyhow, 2 questions :

1)Does anyone know if the German restaurant Navia is still open? The last Trip Adviser review appears to be from last March.

2)Given that we are staying at the Alisei I find the little calmado on the side street almost across from Coco Plaza tremendously convenient. Three years ago it was open , Two years ago it was closed , last year it was open. Can anyone tell me the status as of now ?

I was in LT in early March of this year and was able to get one last meal at Navias. The best German food I have had anywhere. They will be missed. Not sure about the calmado. Good luck and good travels.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are many great restaurants in LT. Navias food was not only excellent and plentiful but also priced right. A major loss for the area but there are many other places that are very good. One of my favorites is La Yuca Caliente, authentic Italian food with a great menu and atmosphere across from Paseo Plaza, right on the beach. Also, for Cuban food and great drinks is Mojitos on Punta Popi and Pizza Azul for the best pizza in LT. Still many choices and price options.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Lucky guy... Tell Jetblue/JFK to do the same, will ya?

I talked to JetBlue Customer Service in Novemember regarding the former flight to AZS and of course they gave me the ususal company bs saying that the route was not profitable. I can't believe that would be the case between Christmas and Easter. I think it is a matter of time before JetBlue or another airlines starts to fly into El Catey again.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Colmado is alive and kicking, we are next door (Casa Delfin), come and say hello :)

I will more than likely be frequenting that colmado daily for one thing or another. I may just pop in and say hello.
Be careful what you ask for ;)

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
There are many great restaurants in LT. Navias food was not only excellent and plentiful but also priced right. A major loss for the area but there are many other places that are very good. One of my favorites is La Yuca Caliente, authentic Italian food with a great menu and atmosphere across from Paseo Plaza, right on the beach. Also, for Cuban food and great drinks is Mojitos on Punta Popi and Pizza Azul for the best pizza in LT. Still many choices and price options.

Thank You LTSteve. Too bad on the Navia closing. When I was there last year I suspected the owner may be headed back to Germany. I loved his selection of Bavarian beer in addition the the great food.
I have walked by La Yuca Caliente many times but have never gone in. Will do so this year for sure.

Last edited:
I talked to JetBlue Customer Service in Novemember regarding the former flight to AZS and of course they gave me the ususal company bs saying that the route was not profitable. I can't believe that would be the case between Christmas and Easter. I think it is a matter of time before JetBlue or another airlines starts to fly into El Catey again.

Jet Blue last flights from JFK to AZS was April 2016 (I'm pretty sure).

Very disappointed - As I love LT - but its a PITA now for they short trips we do in DR. Flying into SDQ and driving up is OK, but with short trips - its basically wasting a day of vaca to do a R/T via rental car. I've done that twice, but not looking to travel that way again.

Friends want to go to Costa Rica, but never like to fly into an airport than have to drive more than 30 mins to my destination. Thats why DR is awesome.

In ten years of going to DR - I've never had a bad time. People, beaches, food. But I love Samana the best, probably cause very few Americans go there. (I'm American - so I can say that)

Hoping Jet Blue reconsiders. As when I took those flights they were always pretty full, so I can't see how they weren't making $.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Jet Blue last flights from JFK to AZS was April 2016 (I'm pretty sure).

Very disappointed - As I love LT - but its a PITA now for they short trips we do in DR. Flying into SDQ and driving up is OK, but with short trips - its basically wasting a day of vaca to do a R/T via rental car. I've done that twice, but not looking to travel that way again.

Friends want to go to Costa Rica, but never like to fly into an airport than have to drive more than 30 mins to my destination. Thats why DR is awesome.

In ten years of going to DR - I've never had a bad time. People, beaches, food. But I love Samana the best, probably cause very few Americans go there. (I'm American - so I can say that)

Hoping Jet Blue reconsiders. As when I took those flights they were always pretty full, so I can't see how they weren't making $.

I don't see how an Airline would reconsider, if they stopped, they weren't making money.

I only flew to El Catey once, because flying with my children (in high season), it always came out cheaper coming through SDQ (including taxis). Also, I liked the convenience of having many flights going and leaving any days of the week, any time of the day.

On the other hand, I believe LT, will never be over-developed because it is difficult to get to (which is a good thing to me).

I don't see how an Airline would reconsider, if they stopped, they weren't making money.

I only flew to El Catey once, because flying with my children (in high season), it always came out cheaper coming through SDQ (including taxis). Also, I liked the convenience of having many flights going and leaving any days of the week, any time of the day.

On the other hand, I believe LT, will never be over-developed because it is difficult to get to (which is a good thing to me).
Flying from JFK to AZS on Jet Blue was basically the same costs as SDQ.

Plus its cheaper to get a taxi / car service vs. a rental car. And most of my crew would rent Moto's anyway.

I guess if I go back to LT it'll be via a Canadian airline, but sadly don't see that happening anytime soon...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk