Mugged, but unharmed.

May 29, 2006
6:30AM~still dark. Two guys on a moto. They were mugging a commuter woman on a motoconcho across the street who was screaming for help. They had just let her go and I went out to help, thinking they were making their getaway. But when they saw me, they stopped their bike and went for me too. One guy took a couple jabs at my face with a military knife with his left hand then he grabbed my cell with right and took off on the moto with the other guy. The woman and motoconcho guy took off, hopefully uninjured. All this took place in about 30 seconds.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no good things happen before 8 am. just sayin', ya know. it's better to sleep in.

May 29, 2006
Villa Cerro, Hig?ey. I got a bad case of "I told you so" from mi esposa. I think the bad guys were from somewhere else.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Villa Cerro, Hig?ey. I got a bad case of "I told you so" from mi esposa. I think the bad guys were from somewhere else.

here is a bad case of i told you so from one who is not your esposa....don?t be a hero. you were probably unarmed. chivalry is good. health is better.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Glad you are ok Peter.
This Gov. / Justice system? needs to deal harshly with any/all violent crimes.

May 29, 2006
I didn't know what was happening~a woman screaming in the dark surrounded by three guys.. All happened very fast.

I thought they were taking off. Double dipping... how crass..

[video=youtube_share;RfprRZQxWps]https://youtu.be/RfprRZQxWps[/video]

Last edited:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
6:30AM~still dark. Two guys on a moto.

no good things happen before 8 am.

We have always had a very strict rule in our house, set by my wife (no, she's not joking about it), that nobody is even allowed to open the main door before sunrise, yet alone leave the house, unless there is a vehicle waiting right in front of the house and there is an additional person checking the surroundings while you get in to the car.

Not sure why, we've been on the road really late at night (way past 12am) on many occasions, and while we try to get quickly home and check our surroundings carefully of course, I have always felt much less secure when we have had to leave the house between 5am and 6am in the morning... The early morning hours (3am-6am) creep me out in the DR...

I'm glad the OP is fine, hoping that you won't participate to things like that in the future...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I didn't know what was happening~a woman screaming in the dark surrounded by three guys.. All happened very fast.

It's not worth it to step in if Dominicans rob Dominicans. Just let them do that. It's also not a good idea to offer any help here, even if you see that someone is dying after the traffic accident, just continue going your way and don't pay attention to that.

I have to agree with sddr. It's unfortunate, and against how I was raised, but so are things like this in the DR.

IMO, it doesn't matter if you know or do not know what is going on, I doubt there is much that you can resolve... The best you can do is let someone know about it, but knowing what the street life can be like in the DR, I cannot think of any good reason to interfere to any incident as an expat...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
oftentimes, the 'accident' is a trap/set-up to lure ex-pat helpers.

one time that wasn't, my friend was driving his cousin ( a male nurse from the Yukon) when they came upon on accident.
No set-up this one - the moto driver's leg was a good distance from his body on the road.

The nurse insisted on stopping..... my friend ( a 22 yr veteran), said 'No' and instead just phoned in the accident to the local police.
That's the way it is here.... unfortunately.

Jan 9, 2004

Three observations;

1. Fortunately all that you lost can be replaced.
2. Listen to your wife....she understands her people.......and if you still insist on intervening,
3. Never go to a potential knife/gun fight or volatile situation armed with only a cell phone....someday, your life may depend on how much you learn from this experience.....and it truly was an inexpensive, but unfortunate, experience.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2*

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Good to hear you are OK. It is a hard lesson learned but it could have been worse.
Listen to your wife. No more hero acts! It is a natural reaction that must be ignored in the DR. Sad to say.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Even if you are armed with a gun, don't step in if it's not your problem. Even if they kill a Dominican woman or a child in front of you and you are armed, if you shot the criminal, you will go to jail and/or pay a lot of money to his family. So if it's not your problem, just don't pay attention to that. They deserve the life they live and we are here to enjoy our life, not to get in trouble. If your life or the life of your family or your property is in danger, then kill the fcking animals if you are armed, but if it's between them, just remember that their life doesn't cost a penny anyway.

i was tempted to issue a response, but i have decided that when i hear some of these vile remarks i will consider the source and move on. i am just bemused as to why you live in a country populated by people for whom you have such robust contempt.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
WTF is wrong with you people?
I guess "Holiday Spirit" ended with a thud.
Peter learned a valuable inexpensive lesson, glad he is unharmed, and thanks for sharing.
Do we really need to have another dr1 p i ss ing contest about nothing?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Glad to hear you (OP) are ok. I was robbed here in the center of town in Santiago around 8.30pm
2 months ago. I lost a cheap phone and 300 pesos.
Sh*t happens. Doesn't change the way I feel about the place.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Glad you are OK.... sorry to hear this happened to you.. Hopefully these guys will meet some STREET justice one day real soon.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I say kuddos to Peter.
The more people step in, hopefuly the more criminals think twice before committing a crime/mugging.
So OK, if u are away from home dont intervene.
But in front of ur own homes ??? Lool......
Even when its drunks fighting I'll go out and tell them to fukc off and kill each other elsewhere...... and yes of course, precautions are needed, i just dont go running out ( they might be luring you out , who knows ), and yes i do take something potentially more lethal than a cell phone ( like 2 rotties and a gun ).

On another note its so typical. People complain of the "climate of violence and lack of help ", but contribuate to it by doing nothing.
Its common sense, if thieves/robbers/criminals know they are risking their lifes, or at the least a good beaten, they will go and do their evil deeds elsewhere. Places where people close their eyes and cover their ears while people are mugged/murdered in front of their closed gates.*:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I am glad to hear that the OP came out otherwise unharmed from this incident. If you're not careful, this place will make you lose your soul and whatever good comes with it.