Best cheapest hotels in Zona Colonial

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
I am wondering if anyone knows which are the best sub $50ish Hotels in the Zona Colonial.. I am not too fussy about anything fancy.. relatively clean/quiet is preferential.

Also what options do I have for accommodation in smaller, possibly less touristy towns?

I have never been to the DR but I have done quite a bit of research so far.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am wondering if anyone knows which are the best sub $50ish Hotels in the Zona Colonial.. I am not too fussy about anything fancy.. relatively clean/quiet is preferential.

Also what options do I have for accommodation in smaller, possibly less touristy towns?

When you say smaller, less touristy towns that describes most of the DR. Are you talking in the Santo Domingo area or what part of the country? Someone will have to answer about hotels in SD. The one I would recommend in the Colonial Zone is Hotel El Conde de Penalba. You can google it on-line and check it out. It may be more than $50 per night and remember most establishments are charging the tax of an additonal, I believe, 18% tax on the total of your bill. How long are you planning on visiting for? More details will give you a better answer. Good luck and good travels.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Sadly any hotel in this price range i.e. Conde Penalba, Casa Conde; Roma will have flimsy locks on the doors, lack proper security and will be rife with undesireables entering and leaving, thus your personal safety and your valuables will be compromised. Look for something more fortress or bank-like if it exists.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
The Hotel Discovery is one that fits your requirements. They have a web site. I've stayed there many times and I liked it.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Air conditioning can cost up to about $10 per day at a commercial hotel and is usually charged as a flat rate. It is worthwhile to send an email or call to ask the price if it is not stated on the website. I have traveled and know of many reasonably priced hotels that are in good shape and have good security. There are good deals out there at smaller hotels. Smaller hotels can provide a nicer experience as you may get to know the staff or owners. It adds a cool flavor to the whole experience in my opinion.

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
Thanks for all the replies.

I plan to be in the country for two weeks. I will spend a few days in Santo Domingo and some time in the Samana area, other than that i'm interested in any of the scenic and less touristy places.. So at this point yes, that could be almost anywhere. Beach relaxation is not my goal although a few days would be nice. I enjoy scenery, hiking, and photography (both urban and rural), and experiencing the culture.

So I am interested in low cost accommodation in the capital and anywhere else that could be recommended.. I see some sub $50 hotels that have ok Google reviews near Zona Colonial.. Hotel Riparbella, Hostal Los Jensen, Hotel Gazcue, and others in that area. Anyone have comments about those? I don't mind roughing it so to speak. What about Airbnb, they have some low cost options, anyone have experience with those?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I have stayed at the Roma many times and have never had a problem there. It is not an upscale hotel, but it is clean and I think safe. I have also stayed at the Discovery many times. The rooms are small, but it is centrally located, clean and safe. There is also an off the Conde yet in the ZC hotel in Gascue, the Danae, that is in a very quiet neighborhood in SD, small, but very quaint, and inexpensive.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The Hotel Discovery is one that fits your requirements. They have a web site. I've stayed there many times and I liked it.

I have also stayed here a few times and found it clean and quiet ...and secure ...I felt very safe there and they also have free parking

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It says on the website they charge extra to use the air conditioner. That cost could be a killer. Lol. When you leave a variable to these people rest assured it will not be favorable to you. Best stay away.

If you read farther the charge is 2 dollars per day. It has a lot of reviews that are positive.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
If you read farther the charge is 2 dollars per day. It has a lot of reviews that are positive.

The very first and most recent review on Trip Adviser is one where the agent caused confusion about the electrical charge per day. The end result was the guest being overcharged. Most likely the $2.00 per day went to the establishment and the overage went to the dishonest hotel worker(s). Open your eyes people.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The very first and most recent review on Trip Adviser is one where the agent caused confusion about the electrical charge per day. The end result was the guest being overcharged. Most likely the $2.00 per day went to the establishment and the overage went to the dishonest hotel worker(s). Open your eyes people.

So you have no personal experience and pick out one negative thing out of many positives.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Hi Simon - I agree with RonS and his 3 recommendations, Roma, Discovery and Danae would all be fine. Roma is probably a bit out of the $50 price range and not worth the extra money IMO, the Discovery you can usually get a room for $45 a night or so (cheaper for the smaller single rooms on the interior). Its safe and has quite a nice roof deck, but is on a noisy corner. There's also the 'Ocean Breeze' a block south of the Discovery which is a small apartment type place, or a few blocks from there is Casa Pina casapina.net which is another small, safe little b&b type hotel (maybe 7 rooms or so). There's also Hotel Portes 9 which I stayed at a number of years ago when it was under a different name and ownership, so I can't speak to how the place is run these days but when I stayed there it was in nice condition, in a great location, and might be worth finding out more about how its being run these days (Hotels.com lists a $35 nightly room price which includes breakfast - I know because I'm considering it for my April trip). I think any of the above would meet your requirements.

I love going to the southwest part of the country, and if you make Barahona your jumping off point for that part of the country, I've stayed at the Hotel Caribe in Barahona on the Malecon, about $30 a night which includes both breakfast AND dinner (nothing fancy, basic Dominican dishes like Mofongo, fried salami, etc..). Barahona the town is nothing special, but San Rafael beach is about a half hour west of there, then past that Paraiso, on to the little town of Enriquillo - these all make for great places to walk, take pictures, meet locals, with few to no tourists. And Lake Enriquillo and Sierra de Baoruco National Park are inland from there, again with great wildlife viewing and photo opportunities.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Hotel Duque de Wellington *on Avenida Independencia. *809 682 4525. *I stay there frequently.