Best Hiking, Mountains, Photography

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
I was happy with the responses from my post, thanks all..

The title sums it up. I am planning a backpacking style trip around the island for 2-3 weeks in February. Trying to keep costs down but I don't mind splurging. Going to go for cheaper hotels, Airbnb, and some Hostels.

I am looking for advice on the best places to go for hiking and photography. Mountains and landscape is my favorite I do like some urban and architecture too. I decided to not bring my two larger and more expensive cameras for fear of theft and drawing attention to myself, rather I will take a advanced small pocket camera.

So far I have decided on some time in the Colonial Zone, Las Galeras, and Jarabacoa. Any general areas or specific hiking or photography spot would be appreciated. Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The most famous mountain hike is to climb Pico Duarte, which takes about three days and is usually an organised trek with guides. There are other popular hikes in the Central Cordillera.
In the Constanza area there is a very short hike to the top of the Aguas Blancas waterfall, which can be done in about an hour.
In the Saman? area you have the hike to the El Lim?n waterfall
From Las Galeras there are a couple of hikes to the beaches that are not accessible by road, like Front?n and Madama.
A spectacular photography spot in the east is Monta?a Redonda on the road between B?varo and Miches.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I was happy with the responses from my post, thanks all..

The title sums it up. I am planning a backpacking style trip around the island for 2-3 weeks in February. Trying to keep costs down but I don't mind splurging. Going to go for cheaper hotels, Airbnb, and some Hostels.

I am looking for advice on the best places to go for hiking and photography. Mountains and landscape is my favorite I do like some urban and architecture too. I decided to not bring my two larger and more expensive cameras for fear of theft and drawing attention to myself, rather I will take a advanced small pocket camera.

So far I have decided on some time in the Colonial Zone, Las Galeras, and Jarabacoa. Any general areas or specific hiking or photography spot would be appreciated. Thanks

On the Samana Peninsula go to Playa Rincon, which you can get to from Las Galeras. Also if you are renting a car drive over the mountain to Las Terrenas. Some great photo opts there. Also from LT go to Playa Bonita and Play Coson. At the end of Playa Bonita there is a trail that wraps around the bay which you can walk all the way into Playa Coson. Some nice shots of the mountains beyond playa Coson. Good luck and good travels