What is wrong with Arroyo Hondo nowadays?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Why are house rentals that cheap now in Arroyo Hondo?

I've seen as low as 20,000 DOP for a not bad looking house. Also they state "24 hours luz". I mean this is what one would expect from AH anyways, or?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Maybe the horrendous traffic jams to get in or out of Arroyo Hondo. I hear several people living there that say they are bound to live their life on the north of Kennedy since it's a problem to cross Kennedy at peak hour.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
OK. I work from home, so that would not be a problem for me. It has nothing to do with being close to ****ty neighborhoods though? Or are there parts of AH to avoid?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
AH is known for having barrios mixed with good areas. If you don't mind living a bit further from 'civilization' *I'd look into Cuesta Hermosa II or III. These are secured residential areas. Or even Isabel Villas, with golf court and restarant. Living there automatically makes you member of the club.

Close to Ikea , in Arroyo Hondo Viejo there are some streets with security on both ends.*

I'd check out Los Pinos, near Botanical Garden but not depending on the two / three entrance / exit avenues like AH, decent houses, several EEUU embassy staff live there.*

Or buy my house in Las Praderas so I can go back to Europe.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thank you!

You can rent it to me, I pay on time. :)

Wait, don"t you have this a**hole neighbor what loves to occupy your parking spot? :D

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yeah, and I like Santo Domingo better than any place on the NC, we have IKEA and meatballs, you not! There you have it :D

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe because CC passed away real estate prices dropped in his neighborhood? ;)
Mauricio, stay there you don't wanna come back to this fukked up Europe.

A.H. surely is missing CCCCCCCCCCCC
Frank why again did you leave the DR and took your daughter to Holland?
No matter which way you spin it, Holland, Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia still are some of the best places in the world to live. Yes there are problems caused by PEOPLE!
You've lived in a few places and have experience. Choose your next favourite perfect place.
Obviously the decision to leave the DR and to live in the Netherlands have been errors committed by you.
To live in S.D. may be the best choice for people who need to generate income and work in the D.R.
I prefer to be outside the D.R. for work and income.

Jan 7, 2016
For those of us who have no work obligations or financial obligations, living in Santo Domingo is probably not an option. Puerto Plata, Sousa or Punta Cana would be much more amenable to the "retirement lifestyle". Shopping at IKEA is not the end to end all that everyone says it is. There's always the Catalog stores--delivery in 2 days, but no life-changing, heartburn-causing Meat Balls made of Horse Meat to indulge-in!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
For me there's no other option in DR to live than SD. Children in a school going age, my work is 99% in the city, our social circle as well. I'm sure SD is not the best DR has to offer. (Last week I was in Constanza and I must say I think I'd become crazy of boredom in a village like that...)

I've said it many times, raising several children is not the easiest in SD, because of cost, mess, traffic, education, opportunities for them (leisure , sports). The Netherlands (and Europe as a whole) has its challenges but on a micro level I expect it to be better for us.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hence the mention of which Arroyo Hondo in Santo Domingo? You do know that there are a few right?

Please tell me you were already aware of this fact....

Honey, I've been going to Santo Domingo since 1975, when there was almost nothing north of 27 de Febrero or west of Churchill. Metaldom felt like it was in the sticks, and the only large hotels were the Embajador, the Jaragua, and the Hispaniola. *I know precisely where just about every corner of Santo Domingo is. *

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When I refer to Arroyo Hondo, I mean precisely that. If I want information about one of the "other" Arroyo Hondos I will ask about Arroyo Hondo II, Altos de AH, Viejo AH or Barrio La Puya de AH (never).

What "other" Arroyo Hondo do you have in mind beside these?