Looking for a part-time babysitter fluent in Mandarin

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
Bit of an odd request I know, but I'm interested in a part-time sitter who is fluent in Mandarin to watch over a toddler, preferably a University student looking for some extra cash on the side .

If anyone has any leads, please pass them along!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Bit of an odd request I know, but I'm interested in a part-time sitter who is fluent in Mandarin to watch over a toddler, preferably a University student looking for some extra cash on the side .

Nothing personal, but are we talking the Dominican Republic? That may be hard to find. Go to the China Town area and ask around.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If Chinatown here is at all similar to many Chinatowns in the US, most of those folks will probably speak Cantonese.

Dominican college students seem to focus on English these days, though Mandarin would be of far greater value in the long run.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
If Chinatown here is at all similar to many Chinatowns in the US, most of those folks will probably speak Cantonese.

Dominican college students seem to focus on English these days, though Mandarin would be of far greater value in the long run.

THAT is right, I have been to China Enough times to be able to pick the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin, I have not heard Anyone on my lifetime speaking mandarin, at least not on the lots of picapollos I have been

DavidKramer

May 16, 2012
Yes, that's right, China Town here near Zona is run by Cantonese speakers. Mandarin here is mostly spoken by Taiwanese communities I think.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hmm, perhaps ask around at the Chinese Embassy? They may be able to point you towards some organization that might help.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Import one, there are some agencies that can help, I am sure you find a lot of willing candidates (if they don't know about DR and you advertise as Caribbean lol), might even be an option from US ... !

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Curiosity has got the cat. You are living in a Spanish speaking country looking for a Mandarin speaking babysitter. If you were in NYC that is doable but in Santo Domingo, with such a small Asian population, I'm not sure it is? Why Mandarin? Are you moving to the Far East at some point? I know it is none of our business but it just seems odd?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Isn't everyone looking for a University student looking for some extra cash on the side in Santo Domingo?