Looking to Hire a Nanny / Maid in Santo Domingo

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
Anyone know the best way to search for a domestic person in the capital? I'm looking for a potentially live-in person to assist with child care as well as handle cooking and housework. They need to speak a moderate amount of English, be extremely trustworthy and have good references.

I'm looking for suggestion of how / where to search, as there does't seem to be any type of referral service or agencies in this country.

Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Everyone I know in Santo Domingo has hired their household employees via word of mouth, or personal recommendation. To the best of my knowledge there is no "agency". Additionally, depending on the size of the house and household, many have more than one person [i.e. one for the children and their care/laundry; one to cook and clean; a part timer for laundry].

The moderate English may prove to be difficult to find. You'll probably need 'moderate Spanish' instead.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Everyone I know in Santo Domingo has hired their household employees via word of mouth, or personal recommendation. To the best of my knowledge there is no "agency". Additionally, depending on the size of the house and household, many have more than one person [i.e. one for the children and their care/laundry; one to cook and clean; a part timer for laundry].

The moderate English may prove to be difficult to find. You'll probably need 'moderate Spanish' instead.

You are right A/e in santo domingo..at least when i was there..it was a very "specialized" division of labor..the cook ..only cooked and fetch the goods...the cleaning was done by only cleaning ladies and so on..and some times the have letters of former employers

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well, there are many agencies, if you are new in DR, I'd recommend it, they do a background check and send you another one if it doesn't work out within a reasonable time.*

In practice we have had good and bad luck with women from agencies and good and bad luck with referred women by word of mouth.*

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, there are many agencies, if you are new in DR, I'd recommend it, they do a background check and send you another one if it doesn't work out within a reasonable time.*

In practice we have had good and bad luck with women from agencies and good and bad luck with referred women by word of mouth.*

Maybe you could post contact info for a few of the agencies you've used? Thanks

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Anyone know the best way to search for a domestic person in the capital? I'm looking for a potentially live-in person to assist with child care as well as handle cooking and housework. They need to speak a moderate amount of English, be extremely trustworthy and have good references.

I'm looking for suggestion of how / where to search, as there does't seem to be any type of referral service or agencies in this country.

Thanks!

Let me guess, a pretty university student looking for a little cash on the side would be just perfect?

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
Let me guess, a pretty university student looking for a little cash on the side would be just perfect?

Eh... maybe not too pretty, I don't need temptation so close :p

By far, honesty, trustworthiness and love of children are the predominant characteristics. Looks ain't important.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Another agency: Top Nanny, can't find the contact info, but that's the one my wife used.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
In know of someone from the Campo in Cambita Garabitos and would be willing to do live in but she does not speak English. She's very trustworthy church going person.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
the last time I hired a live in, helper.....I hired a close friend of the family....... caution is good in this situation...........Doc..........

The Professor

Sep 22, 2015
In know of someone from the Campo in Cambita Garabitos and would be willing to do live in but she does not speak English. She's very trustworthy church going person.

I've since revised my requirements. Asking for an English speaker is too much. We may also reconsider the live-in requirement, as we're really not sure about it. I'll talk to my girlfriend about the person you know.

Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You have to realize that hiring a non live in means transportation costs. And if she does not live close that will add up fast.

Fayb

Aug 24, 2017
Ask your friends or family for the recommendations. Else register with caregiver listing websites.