Las Galeras to Samana and back.

Jan 5, 2017
Hi fellow forumites. This is my first post on this forum and wondering if I can get some simple questions answered. I have already searched and read many informative posts here but need a little clarification on a few points.

We will be staying at the Grand Paradise later this month. First question.... I know that the guaguas run from LG to Samana. Where exactly in LG do I get it? Where in Samana does it let you off? I heard something about it dropping you at the market? Is the market close to the marina? Can we walk? Doing the whale watching with Kim in early Feb. Do we return to the market to go back to LG? What time is the last guagua? Whale watch trip at 1:30 and supposed to last about 4 hours. I read somewhere that last guagua leaves at 6? Will we have enough time to catch it? Should we use American or DP for the guagua? What is the cost with each? Question two.... We would like to eat at El Cabito. Other than walking what is the best way to get there? Taxi from the resort? Taxi from LG? Moto from LG? Any idea what it would cost for either? I realize it is only about 3km from the resort according to Google Maps. Third question. I read that there is a 24hr ATM in LG. Is there a limit at this machine? Will a debit card with Visa logo work in it? Is there an ATM at Grand Paradise? And lastly.... How much should we expect to pay (for two people) to take a boat from Playa LG to Playa Rincon and back? Do we just go down to the water and start bartering? Any suggestions who to contact once there? My thanks in advance for any help any one can be with any of my queries. Kelly.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Too many questions. So what is a Forumite? Is it Gorgon, Willy, Frank or Robert?
1. guagua is 100 RD (use RD) o/w pp last I checked. Just go to the center by the End of the Road Caf? to catch and in Samana walk or moto to the Boat area and back. I believe 6 is the last, take a taxi if you miss.
2. El Cabito, call them to send someone or take a taxi
3. There's a bank or two in town, don't remember if there is an ATM at the resort. 10,000 RD per transaction is normal withdrawl.
4. Boat to La Playa, bargain. Check in the TDA Dive Shop at the center of town, very helpful.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm heading to LG in a few weeks as well. My recollection is that the boats to Playa Rincon leave from the beach at the end of the road in LG [Playa LG] and that they will depart when they have a sufficient number of passengers, drop you off at Playa Rincon, and then return to Rincon to take you back to Playa LG. I'm not sure if they barter but would be surprised if they didn't. The folks at the End of the Road Caf? and the Dive Shop are very helpful and are generous in providing any information you require. As stated, Kim is excellent and will help with what you need on the Samana end. Enjoy!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks very much guys. I really appreciate your help.

Use Pesos to pay for the buses or taxis. Yes there is a limit on how much you can withdraw from an ATM. I am not sure what that is in LG. In Las Terrenas you can withdraw a max of 10,000rd pesos at some machines. In LG it may be less. Also make sure you notify the debit/credit card company that you will be using your card in the DR, otherwise it will most likely be declined at the ATM. You are probably better off to get a car and driver in LG and pay him for day to drive you to Samana City and back after your whale watching. With Kim's tour you have the option to get off the boat at Cayo Levantado, Bacardi Island, to walk around, swim or have a drink. This is on the way back to the dock in Samana City. There is a hotel located here. Although the Island is pretty, it is a little bit crowded with tourists and vendors. You will be there for around an hour, before reboarding the boat to bring you back to the dock. Good luck and good travels.