The Wild West drug point in Sosua

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
This type of news really has no effect on the majority of the people that visit Sosua.There are not bringing the wife and kids. The picture of the imbecile with the gun, wearing a Miami Heat jersey and a Chicago Bulls hat, lol..bet you 1 thousand pesos he can't spell his own name.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
This type of news really has no effect on the majority of the people that visit Sosua.There are not bringing the wife and kids. The picture of the imbecile with the gun, wearing a Miami Heat jersey and a Chicago Bulls hat, lol..bet you 1 thousand pesos he can't spell his own name.

Perhaps not YOU but it does others. Including the habits of those of us that actually live in the area.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Perhaps not YOU but it does others. Including the habits of those of us that actually live in the area.

By and large violence perpetrated against expats is rare. Petty theft is common against all. For the most part if one is not involved in illicit activity's and does not associate with shady people you are unlikely to become a victim.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
By and large violence perpetrated against expats is rare. Petty theft is common against all. For the most part if one is not involved in illicit activity's and does not associate with shady people you are unlikely to become a victim.

Man are YOU so wrong. That "illicit activity" has a continued and fuels never ending need. It goes after any and all as that need grows. That need spreads to where ever it thinks it can score and expats are the biggest and most highly attacked one way or another. I don't know of ONE expat that has not been a victim. Some minor but some more aggressively with home invasions with guns even during the day. And those invasions are climbing at a steady rate.

Over 25 years here and learned real fast to protect, duck and cover as needed. And I come up shooting. We live well but we live with an eye and ear on what goes on around us.

The D.R. is what it is and it ain't getting better.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Man are YOU so wrong. That "illicit activity" has a continued and fuels never ending need. It goes after any and all as that need grows. That need spreads to where ever it thinks it can score and expats are the biggest and most highly attacked one way or another. I don't know of ONE expat that has not been a victim. Some minor but some more aggressively with home invasions with guns even during the day. And those invasions are climbing at a steady rate.

Over 25 years here and learned real fast to protect, duck and cover as needed. And I come up shooting. We live well but we live with an eye and ear on what goes on around us.

Wow, exciting!! Good luck to you Sir. " Duck and Cover, come up shooting"...whew !! I think the closest I have come to being a victim is not getting my change back at a bar/restaurant. I don't live in a Dominican neighborhood or play domino's on the street corner either.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Well this news along with the dead torist in pop has a barring on torists.*

We live here and are aware of these happenings. How many people planning vacaations know about this and how many come from cities with crime rates (especially murders) that are worse?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We live here and are aware of these happenings. How many people planning vacaations know about this and how many come from cities with crime rates (especially murders) that are worse?

Actually, many friends that would come every winter for 4 to 6 months DO read the news. Over the years those married snow birds that do not go to Pedro Clisante but visiting and spending money elsewhere have dropped. They have stopped coming much more then most realize.

In part it's the exchange rate with their home country being part of the problem. Many are just fed up with the north coast "aggressive" lifestyle intruding on what ever they are doing. And of course a few are just tired of all the scams and getting ripped off buy so many including the local law enforcement.

Many friends over the years an none .... NONE are coming back. Such a shame.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I am sure that is a big difference between residents and visitors perspective on the crime risk. I have never been a resident in DR. so I am in the visitor category and never been close to be impacted by any crime during my visits. But I am also quite "boring" - I do not drink much and no drugs, I am mostly active during daytime except for dinner.

Also, I assume home invasions mostly is a risk for the residents living in a house. This is bad enough, do not get me wrong but I think apartments are safer so a good option if you want to lower the crime risk. If I would live in a house in DR I would be very prepared for the worse (weapons, dogs, alarms, etc.)

I know several expats that has never been impacted by any crime but I also have heard many horror stories about the ones who has been impacted.

A life is not worth much in DR that is for sure but the same goes with many other countries also

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Los Charamicos for several years was divided up and drug spots were controlled by three individuals. This all changed in April of 2013 when a certain individual's father was killed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YTAwOFwHZk

From around this time going forward Chivero controlled most of the drug spots around the back end of Charamicos with the front end being controlled by someone else.

They have been fighting over control of these drug points in the back end of Charamicos since Chivero was killed about a year ago.
Word on the street in Charamicos is Chivero was murdered by the local _ _ because he decided not to pay them more " protection money" for being allowed to control and operate these spots without any problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbT68XyNUc&t=3s

As the world turns.. violently at times

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Los Charamicos for several years was divided up and drug spots were controlled by three individuals. This all changed in April of 2013 when a certain individual's father was killed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YTAwOFwHZk

From around this time going forward Chivero controlled most of the drug spots around the back end of Charamicos with the front end being controlled by someone else.

They have been fighting over control of these drug points in the back end of Charamicos since Chivero was killed about a year ago.
Word on the street in Charamicos is Chivero was murdered by the local _ _ because he decided not to pay them more " protection money" for being allowed to control and operate these spots without any problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbT68XyNUc&t=3s

As the world turns.. violently at times

I seldom go in Charamicos any more but I used too. Last time I drove through I could tell I was being watched hard. It's absolutely crazy and these are not boys but older men involved in this crap. And the family knows what they do too, but as long as everyone gets their platanos and color TV and internet under the tin roof they look the other way to the drug life until one of their family is acribillado con balas. Then the 'tears' flow. But they are more tears of 'whose going to support us now', than genuine grief.
I worked in Puerto Rico up until about 10 years ago. During that time one of my coworkers was fired. Yet with no job he soon had a new fancy SUV. He then learned to fly, then got his own plane and flew back and forth to St Thomas and the Dutch islands. He asked a attractive young female coworker to fly with him on one trip. She asked my advice and I warned her not to even be seen with him, like when we worked together. She listened to me, thank God. Well the DEA was already onto him at that time and a several months later he and his associates were in Federal custody, and lost all their shiny toys and I think some of the gang's parents lost their homes too. Nobody was killed there but at least 10 families destroyed by drug smuggling.
I understand the allure a person can get fabulously wealthy in a short time but most are so dumb they never get out before getting killed or captured.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-pr/pr/10-individuals-indicted-drug-trafficking-and-money-laundering.

During this same period I was friends with a couple DEA agents in PR and we would get together on UFC fight nights. We would listen to his DEA radio to other agents on Coast Guard ships monitoring boats coming between DR to PR. They would stop a couple boats with drugs almost every night. It's epidemic in the Caribbean now.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Ah yes , the charming city of Charamicos, quant, captivating, cozy. Reminds me of Vence on the French Riviera. Until you hear the hundreds of motos screaming trough the narrow streets and see the dozens of gum chewing, spike heel wearing chicas staggering home from another night on their back.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ah yes , the charming city of Charamicos, quant, captivating, cozy. Reminds me of Vence on the French Riviera. Until you hear the hundreds of motos screaming trough the narrow streets and see the dozens of gum chewing, spike heel wearing chicas staggering home from another night on their back.

sounds so cosmopolitan,,,a gathering place for bons vivants and raconteurs..

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I seldom go in Charamicos any more but I used too. Last time I drove through I could tell I was being watched hard. It's absolutely crazy and these are not boys but older men involved in this crap. And the family knows what they do too, but as long as everyone gets their platanos and color TV and internet under the tin roof they look the other way to the drug life until one of their family is acribillado con balas. Then the 'tears' flow. But they are more tears of 'whose going to support us now', than genuine grief.
I worked in Puerto Rico up until about 10 years ago. During that time one of my coworkers was fired. Yet with no job he soon had a new fancy SUV. He then learned to fly, then got his own plane and flew back and forth to St Thomas and the Dutch islands. He asked a attractive young female coworker to fly with him on one trip. She asked my advice and I warned her not to even be seen with him, like when we worked together. She listened to me, thank God. Well the DEA was already onto him at that time and a several months later he and his associates were in Federal custody, and lost all their shiny toys and I think some of the gang's parents lost their homes too. Nobody was killed there but at least 10 families destroyed by drug smuggling.
I understand the allure a person can get fabulously wealthy in a short time but most are so dumb they never get out before getting killed or captured.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-pr/pr/10-individuals-indicted-drug-trafficking-and-money-laundering.

During this same period I was friends with a couple DEA agents in PR and we would get together on UFC fight nights. We would listen to his DEA radio to other agents on Coast Guard ships monitoring boats coming between DR to PR. They would stop a couple boats with drugs almost every night. It's epidemic in the Caribbean now.

like Denzel was told in movie american gangster....Quiting while you are ahead, is not the same as quiting......

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Why would you stay any place for 25 years if you had to live like that? 25 days? I wouldn't want 25 minutes.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Wow, exciting!! Good luck to you Sir. " Duck and Cover, come up shooting"...whew !! I think the closest I have come to being a victim is not getting my change back at a bar/restaurant. I don't live in a Dominican neighborhood or play domino's on the street corner either.
I've lived in Dominican neighborhoods for most of my time here. I've drank in colmados. I've played dominos in pretty much every place you can set up a table and chairs. I've never had to "duck and cover, come up shooting".

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I've lived in Dominican neighborhoods for most of my time here. I've drank in colmados. I've played dominos in pretty much every place you can set up a table and chairs. I've never had to "duck and cover, come up shooting".

I hear all these nightmare stories people have with banditos, police, taxi drivers etc. I have yet to have any such scrapes. Guess I'm lucky. My chica did throw her spike heel shoe at me, but I think that is just a cultural thing , expressing their true love.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Luck of the draw sanpedro.
I remember my first month in the Caribbean. Mid 90s. It was in Puerto Rico and I was driving on the highway late one January evening in front of a housing project called Lloren Torres. Traffic stopped and I came to a stop on the highway adjacent to the project and I was right alongside an Isuzu Trooper, the same vehicle I drove, but different color.
Next thing I know a young guy, maybe 20 years old, barefoot & no shirt, is running towards us between cars with an AK spraying this SUV next to me with 30 caliber bullets, at least 2 clips. How he missed my car I never know. He actually got between my passenger door and the driver's door of the victim's car. I was terrified and as soon as traffic cleared I sped away. Long story short the driver of that car was slain and it barely made the papers, just another drug deal gone South, hardly news.
Here in DR I've only been the victim of a burglary (doors unlocked) with an expensive looking fake watch, a cheap tablet, and some lose cash taken.
But I did rent Brent Lewis's big house in Lomas Mironas one week for friends who came in from Puerto Rico to vacation.
The same house he was killed in a few months later. Not a close call to me personally but it creeps me out.

Enjoy yourself but stay alert.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk