Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What's on the menu today?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking to do a pasta primavera with whole wheat pasta. Suggestions on what is the best whole wheat pasta available (Santo Domingo) is appreciated.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's the best pasta available, but the most common here in San Pedro is Milano or Princesa (both about 24-29 pesos a package), and they do have whole wheat offerings. There is a selection of imported Italian pastas in the Jumbo and Iberia here as well, but I don't know how good they are. If you have some time to spare, I can get you their name and price on my next trip to them on Friday.
    On a side note, there were a few Italian restaurants in Juan Dolio that were charging steep prices for their pasta dishes due to the fact they were using "authentic imported Italian pasta". They were using Milano and Princesa. Unknown if the Pasta Police were notified.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Yautia with salami ...

Klasse..lekkerrr

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sanpedrogringo View Post
    I don't know if it's the best pasta available, but the most common here in San Pedro is Milano or Princesa (both about 24-29 pesos a package), and they do have whole wheat offerings. There is a selection of imported Italian pastas in the Jumbo and Iberia here as well, but I don't know how good they are. If you have some time to spare, I can get you their name and price on my next trip to them on Friday.
    On a side note, there were a few Italian restaurants in Juan Dolio that were charging steep prices for their pasta dishes due to the fact they were using "authentic imported Italian pasta". They were using Milano and Princesa. Unknown if the Pasta Police were notified.
    that Milano and Princesa stuff is not exactly haute cuisine...

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Case in point with the Juan Dolio reference. What people don't know, won't hurt them.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

DR does have good Italian pasta available, I buy Delaverde at La Sirena, they even have the lasagna sheets that are great - just layer and bake. *

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

I made gnocchi with cassava (yuca) yesterday, used this recipe:

http://perudelights.com/gnocchi-with...em-with-yucca/
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    no, we bought it in a new bakery in the city. not as dark or dense as classic german version but it's tasty. i may try to bake my own, now you mention it. i found a nice simplified version i can do since traditionally it's baked in those locked pans for 14 hours of more and i'm not gonna go to those lengths.

german thin dense prepacked pumpernickel is available in most supermarkets, often in the freezer section.

New bakery? *With proper bread??? Please share directions! Thank you!

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neargale View Post
    New bakery? *With proper bread??? Please share directions! Thank you!
    moulin de paris. plaza brugal (this is a small plaza where refripartes are, opposite hormigones del atlantico, main road). tel: 829 826 2134 and 809 819 4085.

North Coast Moderator

10. Likes Neargale liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

today for lunch: polish fresh cabbage stew with chorizo and smoked bacon, served with ciabatta bread.

today in the freshly fixed oven: polish cheesecake with butterscotch chips. i plan to put some chocolate ganache on the top.

ps, yuca gnocchi sounds great. i think lots of root veggies will work great for this dish, batatas should rock. heck, even platanos could be used. i will try different versions and report back.

North Coast Moderator

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast