What's on the menu today?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
We have a simple day.
White rice.
Guandules.
Ajam paniki (chicken paniki, indonesian dish)

We start with a Cold Bohemia.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Advil
Motrin
Acetaminophen
Cough syrup
Sore throat spray
Honey & lemon
Chicken soup

Yeah, you guessed it, I'm suffering from man flu.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
get well. no Brugal for you.

Thanks.

I just have to be grateful the mother-in-law isn't here. *She would be brewing up some disgusting concoction from the campo which would supposedly cure me! * Beetroot, onion, honey, ginger, chocolate powder and salt made into some sort of tea, followed by a sopa de nervio de vacca. *Gross!

Just give me drugs and leave me alone!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Advil
Motrin
Acetaminophen
Cough syrup
Sore throat spray
Honey & lemon
Chicken soup

Yeah, you guessed it, I'm suffering from man flu.

Same here :( and worse... I had to take the dreaded concoction. YUCK!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
breakfast of plain croissant and fried eggs, followed by lots of coffee, followed by walking very reluctant dog who run under the sofa after seeing the leash.
lunch of homemade celery root gnocchi with chorizo and parmesan, followed by a coffee and homemade chocolate pudding, apple and pear cake.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Breakfast: sandwich and coffee
Lunch: rice / moro with scrambled eggs (I don't like Moro but with eggs it's passable.
Dinner will be: nachos.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Chicken wings tossed in a puree of bacon, red onion, Henny White, and jerk seasoning. Slow cooked on the grill, then moved onto the open flame to get that crispy skin.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks.

I just have to be grateful the mother-in-law isn't here. *She would be brewing up some disgusting concoction from the campo which would supposedly cure me! * Beetroot, onion, honey, ginger, chocolate powder and salt made into some sort of tea, followed by a sopa de nervio de vacca. *Gross!

Just give me drugs and leave me alone!

My MIL makes a tea out of Herbs from her garden. Actually tastes pretty good, but effective...no say.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dinner: sammich of pumpernickel bread with cream cheese, tomato, ham, onion, mustard and horseradish.

Aug 21, 2007
Breakfast/lunch (brunch) chicharrones bought outside the church door. Nothing in our stomachs at 10:30 am and we bought 3 pounds....far more than is possible or healthy for 2 people to eat. We sampled one piece in the car, sharing a napkin, and saved the rest for home. At home, with no yucca or plantain to suck up the fat, we just ate fried pork,( and mostly fat.)

It was delicious, with grease dripping down our chins, until the third piece when our stomachs decided to revolt.

A fast followed with salad for dinner to wash it all out.

Such is life in the DR.

Oh, the lives we live!

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do you make your own pumpernickel bread? *Don't think I've ever seen it in DR.*

no, we bought it in a new bakery in the city. not as dark or dense as classic german version but it's tasty. i may try to bake my own, now you mention it. i found a nice simplified version i can do since traditionally it's baked in those locked pans for 14 hours of more and i'm not gonna go to those lengths.

german thin dense prepacked pumpernickel is available in most supermarkets, often in the freezer section.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
no, we bought it in a new bakery in the city. not as dark or dense as classic german version but it's tasty. i may try to bake my own, now you mention it. i found a nice simplified version i can do since traditionally it's baked in those locked pans for 14 hours of more and i'm not gonna go to those lengths.

german thin dense prepacked pumpernickel is available in most supermarkets, often in the freezer section.

The La Sirena in San Cristobal has a woefully small freezer area, which is understandable because it caters to Dominicans only. *I've only seen a handful of foreigners in there over the years, and I mean maybe two a year :)

I'll have to check out Nacional in SD. Thanks for the tip.*