Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: U.S. citizens targeted in Haiti

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent my share of time on the island some years back. Have also seen the extent of corruption in Haiti, and see no hope for these people. It really goes back in time, decades of cutting down the forests and not re-planting. In return the tropical storms have washed out the hillsides killing all in it's path, wiping out villages on a daily basis. This has been going on for hundreds of years, you would think the people would get the drift by now. The island and country are located in the chain that's always affected by hurricanes. Poverty, no stable government or law enforcement, declining exports, no tourism, no infrastructure, corruption on all levels, the lack of willingness to rebuild, and most importantly the civil war that has been going on forever with the Dominicans. The Dominican people have their own problems, and job shortages is one. The Haitians that work in the A/I's with green cards are putting their lives on the line. Go take a drive along the border and watch what goes on. These people are at war! Too bad it couldn't have stayed one island, one people, makes me wonder which way it would have gone.

2. Likes Yourmaninvegas liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Too bad it couldn't have stayed one island, one people, makes me wonder which way it would have gone. " Well it's just a matter of time. Haiti is a failed state, for many reasons. Chief among them is greed and avarice. Doesn't matter which century. Eventually the nations will merge. could take 50 or even 100 years. But it will happen eventually.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    "Too bad it couldn't have stayed one island, one people, makes me wonder which way it would have gone. " Well it's just a matter of time. Haiti is a failed state, for many reasons. Chief among them is greed and avarice. Doesn't matter which century. Eventually the nations will merge. could take 50 or even 100 years. But it will happen eventually.

I really don't see that, they were never "one island one people ". 

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In the early 1600's the Spanish set claim to the island of Hispaniola. It started as Spanish ruled but with the increase of piracy, they gave up the western third which was closest to Tortuga, a safe haven for the pirates. They actually played an important part in who owns it today. The French under Louis the XVI took advantage of the vacant area the Spanish left and claimed what is Haiti today. The nine year war and the treaty of Rhyswick will change all of this down the road, in 1697 the war ended and forced the Spanish to rocognize France as owning the western third. In 1777 the official border was set as is today. If not for the pirates, the Spanish would have kept control of the whole island...presumingly.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    Ditto to what others said. There is just too much history which continues today that makes a union unthinkable.

It's like saying that Mexico and the US will merge because they share a continent.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluebayou View Post
    In the early 1600's the Spanish set claim to the island of Hispaniola. It started as Spanish ruled but with the increase of piracy, they gave up the western third which was closest to Tortuga, a safe haven for the pirates. They actually played an important part in who owns it today. The French under Louis the XVI took advantage of the vacant area the Spanish left and claimed what is Haiti today. The nine year war and the treaty of Rhyswick will change all of this down the road, in 1697 the war ended and forced the Spanish to rocognize France as owning the western third. In 1777 the official border was set as is today. If not for the pirates, the Spanish would have kept control of the whole island...presumingly.
    Ancient history. It ain't happening. Who wants to go from bad to much worse? Vastly different cultures. Vastly different governments.

8. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Targeted in Haiti

Quote Originally Posted by GringoRubio View Post
    Ditto to what others said. There is just too much history which continues today that makes a union unthinkable.

It's like saying that Mexico and the US will merge because they share a continent.
    Haiti will never merge with the Dominican Republic, in time they will let's say self destruct. If they didn't get the aid from the United nations as well as the US it would happen sooner that later. Mexico? I think the government corruption alone would prevent a merger. The states have nothing to gain...other than cheap labor which is happening on all the bordering states. I think the "Cartel" would also never let it happen, the dirty $$ goes away. That dirty money is keeping these countries alive, like most 3rd worlds, have little in exports or tourism. The tourism boards of the US, Canada, and the UK determine the fate of any given island. It's a control issue. That's what happened with the recent building of these Mega-Resorts in PAP and the assistance of American Airlines doing flights from the states. Built a multi million dollar hotel in a City that is in crumbles, has no infrastructure. They haven't even rebuilt from the storm before the last! The Hatians resent the gringo's, they are only interested in the monies. It too will just be a matter of time after the tourists start getting mugged or murdered, people will stop going. Reminds me of the do gooders and church run missions from the states that go down to bring the children crayons and pencils. Give me a break. Wake up stupid people.
    Last edited by bluebayou; 01-18-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: mistake...ooops!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of stories/updates linked to the original thread origin. Hopefully is of forum code.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...125527719.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...124971364.html

11. Likes southern liked this post
    I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather live in Chad !!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I was quoting someone else when I said one island, one people.  Because Hispaniola is an island this is more likely to occur.  I'm not supporting it.  I feel badly for the dr in this respect.  They gots lots of undeserved bad press regarding Haiti. It is in the interest of very powerful people to just have dr absorb Haiti. According to many people on this site it is a process slowly occurring with constantly increasing migration from Haiti.  Families intermingle.  And the elites in DR will happily accept the foreign aid which will accompany such a transition. We will all be dead, but it will happen.

Less likely that us/Mex would merge, despite families intermingling. We are too big, broad and multicultural. You got just two factors in dr. 

Anyway, having fun in Mexico. Getting tired of talking about trump. 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast