U.S. citizens targeted in Haiti

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
U.S. citizens targeted after extradition of Haiti ex-coup leader

Partial quote:

By Joseph Guyler Delva

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - Haitian police have evacuated some 50 U.S. citizens to safety after attempted attacks by supporters of Haitian Senator-elect Guy Philippe, who was arrested and extradited to the United States last week, a police official said on Monday. ....

Jan 7, 2016
From Microsoft News this Morning:

Haitian police have evacuated some 50 U.S. citizens to safety after attempted attacks by supporters of Haitian Senator-elect Guy Philippe, who was arrested and extradited to the United States last week, a police official said on Monday.
Philippe, long wanted by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and remembered for his role in a 2004 coup against former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, was elected senator for the southwestern Grand'Anse region in polls on Nov. 20.
But on Thursday, days before he was supposed to be sworn in, police arrested him outside of a radio station and flew him to the United States, where a Miami court charged him with money laundering and drug trafficking. Philippe denies the charges.
The extradition has stirred tensions in Grand'Anse, an area that is rebuilding after damages inflicted by Hurricane Matthew last October and where Philippe enjoys popularity.
Supporters of Philippe have clashed with political opponents in the streets, burned two police vehicles and attacked several police stations, forcing officers to flee, said Berson Soljour, a police commissioner in Grand'Anse.
Philippe supporters are also believed to have attacked two U.S. citizens who ran an orphanage and stole their passports and other belongings from their home, police officials said.
Police have evacuated more than 50 U.S. citizens to safer places in Haiti since Friday, Soljour said, who advised those who chose to stay not to leave their residences. Higher than usual numbers of U.S. citizens are in the region helping with hurricane recovery.
U.S. citizens were evacuated to a police station before moving to a United Nations base, where they waited for preparations to fly them to Port-au-Prince, Soljour said. Some have been flown to the capital, while others are still waiting.
"There are groups linked to Guy Philippe that were actively seeking to attack or capture U.S. citizens following (his) arrest and extradition," Soljour said.
A spokesman for the U.S. embassy, Karl Adam, said the embassy was aware of the threats and has sent messages to citizens to advise them to avoid certain areas and to be particularly careful.
"I know some have decided to leave and this is not something the embassy is organizing," Adam said.
More protests were scheduled to take place over the next several days in Grand'Anse and in Port-au-Prince, including outside the U.S. embassy.
Some 200 protesters massed at a barricade across the street from parliament on Monday as new senators were sworn into office, with about half denouncing Philippe's arrest with slogans, T-shirts and waving signs. (Editing by Makini Brice and Michael Perry)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Haiti is a sh*thole. Not the slightest bit concerned or surprised.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
U.S. citizens targeted after extradition of Haiti ex-coup leader

Partial quote:

By Joseph Guyler Delva

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - Haitian police have evacuated some 50 U.S. citizens to safety after attempted attacks by supporters of Haitian Senator-elect Guy Philippe, who was arrested and extradited to the United States last week, a police official said on Monday. ....

Where are you those ones defending Haiti? Those Haitians are so civilized. At some point you will see the picture and smell the coffee.

Jan 7, 2016
Perhaps they'd like to do their own hurricane recovery...probably into the next century! U.S. and Canadian citizens will just stop helping. Without outside assistance, Haiti cannot exist.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Guy Phillipe is one of the most vocal anti-Dominican in Haiti. He made some outlandish claims against the DR during the election campaign. I'm glad he was extradited to the US. Hopefully they will throw him in jail forever.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Perhaps they'd like to do their own hurricane recovery...probably into the next century! U.S. and Canadian citizens will just stop helping. Without outside assistance, Haiti cannot exist.

Hurricane recovery????the people in the USA and Canada will stop TRYING to help Haiti about the same time the Clinton foundation releases the money it is holding for the recovery of the earthquake...........Doc..........

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Hurricane recovery! Ha what a f-ing joke. Fact is France doesn't even want to help these people anymore, not wanting to help themselves. Good thing for the United Nations. They had a military convoy of medical supplies, food, water and whatever that was enroute to PAP area via the northern/Dominican line. Never made it, was ambushed and the drivers were killed, the truck and there contents never made it. Story goes the police/military people were the ones involved. Haiti made it's bed along time ago, now with the normal corruption of the police and government have lesser a chance of ever making head way. Have to laugh, the US and other investors building these mega resorts near the capital and trying to bring back the economy. Are they crazy or what?? The locals will rob the tourists! A country with no future, no infrastructure, no law, no government, no nothing but they bring in tourism? How long to you think AA will make those flights 3 days a week from MIA with a quarter of the plane full. How long will it take the people to figure out that the price they are paying for their A/I and airfare is the same as the other 1000 islands in the Caribbean?? Stupid people. Hate to say it, but Haiti is destin.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Hurricane recovery! Ha what a f-ing joke. Fact is France doesn't even want to help these people anymore, not wanting to help themselves. Good thing for the United Nations. They had a military convoy of medical supplies, food, water and whatever that was enroute to PAP area via the northern/Dominican line. Never made it, was ambushed and the drivers were killed, the truck and there contents never made it. Story goes the police/military people were the ones involved. Haiti made it's bed along time ago, now with the normal corruption of the police and government have lesser a chance of ever making head way. Have to laugh, the US and other investors building these mega resorts near the capital and trying to bring back the economy. Are they crazy or what?? The locals will rob the tourists! A country with no future, no infrastructure, no law, no government, no nothing but they bring in tourism? How long to you think AA will make those flights 3 days a week from MIA with a quarter of the plane full. How long will it take the people to figure out that the price they are paying for their A/I and airfare is the same as the other 1000 islands in the Caribbean?? Stupid people. Hate to say it, but Haiti is destin.

Brutal !!! But true.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
France never truly wanted to help Haiti. The first time a French head of state visited Haiti was in 2010, after the earthquake, by Zarkozy. Haiti separated from France 206 years earlier. A major catastrophe had to take place for a Frenc head of state to even consider stepping foot on Saint-Domingue. That's nothing more than one big SMH (Shake my head).

I always compare that to Spain. The King of Spain visits the DR practically yearly. Yes, most of those visits are not official but rather recreational, but the point is that the Spanish Royal Family has a presence in the DR at least once a year. Many top Dominican families are close friends with the Spanish Royalty, and the Spanish Crown even has investments in the DR.

To make matters more interesting, the very first time a Spanish king and queen left Spain was in the 1970's by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia. The very first country they visited was Dominican Republic. You can see photos of this historic event here (La primera visita a Am?rica de S.M. Juan Carlos I y Sofia, reyes de Espa?a).

I think that says a lot between how badly Haiti is treated even by the country that basically gave birth to them (granted, a very painful birth). Dr Delia Blanco, she is based in Santo Domingo and is very much into the Afro-French everything, I call her the Spanish-Basque Mountainannie (lol); says that the French feel a sense of shame and responsibility for the disgrace of Haiti. Its once most precious territory reduced to what it has become. The French feel so bad about creating Haiti, that they prefer to not even look over there, to simply ignore it, to pretend they had nothing to do with that. Even though Dr Blanco is of Spanish origin, she did grow up in France; so, she knows the French from the inside out.

When the DR was blatantly attacked for the regularization plan, the very first ambassador/government to publicly say that they stand with the DR was Spain! After that, a few other countries came out of the woodwork and also expressed their support towards the DR; but, the very first was Spain. The way it should be. Spain always supports the DR, at least from what I have noticed.

When was the last time France supported Haiti on anything?

The Spanish king himself assist every single Dominican presidential initiation (and the presidents of every other Hispanic country, even Equatorial Guinea which is the only Spanish-speaking country in Africa), when was the last time a French head of state was present at the initiation of any Haitian prime minister? These are symbolic acts that says a lot.

Even Jamaica was visited by the Royal Family of Great Britain, for Pete's sake!

In colonial times the French were known as some of the most vicious of slave owners and now I guess we can say they are very jodones with the descendants of the slaves that once produced a third of France's wealth. Very bad treatment, if you ask me. Aaah, must be the French way of doing things.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
I spent my share of time on the island some years back. Have also seen the extent of corruption in Haiti, and see no hope for these people. It really goes back in time, decades of cutting down the forests and not re-planting. In return the tropical storms have washed out the hillsides killing all in it's path, wiping out villages on a daily basis. This has been going on for hundreds of years, you would think the people would get the drift by now. The island and country are located in the chain that's always affected by hurricanes. Poverty, no stable government or law enforcement, declining exports, no tourism, no infrastructure, corruption on all levels, the lack of willingness to rebuild, and most importantly the civil war that has been going on forever with the Dominicans. The Dominican people have their own problems, and job shortages is one. The Haitians that work in the A/I's with green cards are putting their lives on the line. Go take a drive along the border and watch what goes on. These people are at war! Too bad it couldn't have stayed one island, one people, makes me wonder which way it would have gone.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
"Too bad it couldn't have stayed one island, one people, makes me wonder which way it would have gone. " Well it's just a matter of time. Haiti is a failed state, for many reasons. Chief among them is greed and avarice. Doesn't matter which century. Eventually the nations will merge. could take 50 or even 100 years. But it will happen eventually.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
"Too bad it couldn't have stayed one island, one people, makes me wonder which way it would have gone. " Well it's just a matter of time. Haiti is a failed state, for many reasons. Chief among them is greed and avarice. Doesn't matter which century. Eventually the nations will merge. could take 50 or even 100 years. But it will happen eventually.

I really don't see that, they were never "one island one people ". 

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
In the early 1600's the Spanish set claim to the island of Hispaniola. It started as Spanish ruled but with the increase of piracy, they gave up the western third which was closest to Tortuga, a safe haven for the pirates. They actually played an important part in who owns it today. The French under Louis the XVI took advantage of the vacant area the Spanish left and claimed what is Haiti today. The nine year war and the treaty of Rhyswick will change all of this down the road, in 1697 the war ended and forced the Spanish to rocognize France as owning the western third. In 1777 the official border was set as is today. If not for the pirates, the Spanish would have kept control of the whole island...presumingly.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

Ditto to what others said. There is just too much history which continues today that makes a union unthinkable.

It's like saying that Mexico and the US will merge because they share a continent.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
In the early 1600's the Spanish set claim to the island of Hispaniola. It started as Spanish ruled but with the increase of piracy, they gave up the western third which was closest to Tortuga, a safe haven for the pirates. They actually played an important part in who owns it today. The French under Louis the XVI took advantage of the vacant area the Spanish left and claimed what is Haiti today. The nine year war and the treaty of Rhyswick will change all of this down the road, in 1697 the war ended and forced the Spanish to rocognize France as owning the western third. In 1777 the official border was set as is today. If not for the pirates, the Spanish would have kept control of the whole island...presumingly.

Ancient history. It ain't happening. Who wants to go from bad to much worse? Vastly different cultures. Vastly different governments.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Targeted in Haiti

Ditto to what others said. There is just too much history which continues today that makes a union unthinkable.

It's like saying that Mexico and the US will merge because they share a continent.

Haiti will never merge with the Dominican Republic, in time they will let's say self destruct. If they didn't get the aid from the United nations as well as the US it would happen sooner that later. Mexico? I think the government corruption alone would prevent a merger. The states have nothing to gain...other than cheap labor which is happening on all the bordering states. I think the "Cartel" would also never let it happen, the dirty $$ goes away. That dirty money is keeping these countries alive, like most 3rd worlds, have little in exports or tourism. The tourism boards of the US, Canada, and the UK determine the fate of any given island. It's a control issue. That's what happened with the recent building of these Mega-Resorts in PAP and the assistance of American Airlines doing flights from the states. Built a multi million dollar hotel in a City that is in crumbles, has no infrastructure. They haven't even rebuilt from the storm before the last! The Hatians resent the gringo's, they are only interested in the monies. It too will just be a matter of time after the tourists start getting mugged or murdered, people will stop going. Reminds me of the do gooders and church run missions from the states that go down to bring the children crayons and pencils. Give me a break. Wake up stupid people.

Last edited:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I was quoting someone else when I said one island, one people.  Because Hispaniola is an island this is more likely to occur.  I'm not supporting it.  I feel badly for the dr in this respect.  They gots lots of undeserved bad press regarding Haiti. It is in the interest of very powerful people to just have dr absorb Haiti. According to many people on this site it is a process slowly occurring with constantly increasing migration from Haiti.  Families intermingle.  And the elites in DR will happily accept the foreign aid which will accompany such a transition. We will all be dead, but it will happen.

Less likely that us/Mex would merge, despite families intermingling. We are too big, broad and multicultural. You got just two factors in dr. 

Anyway, having fun in Mexico. Getting tired of talking about trump.