Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Used Clothing from US to DR for Charity

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    makes a lot of sense. however, there is an African American guy in POP who has a used clothing store, and he sells really upscale used clothes there. i have seen Ralph Lauren and other brands like Oscar De La Renta and Hermes. he selects this stuff himself in NY and sends shipments down. i have no idea how he gets the stuff in.*
    What is so hard to figure out? Are we losing something in translation here? NY is Dominican Central. Pack a box or boxes, or a plastic drum with items, call the shipping company, they come to you and pick it up, pay the price, and wham...in 3-4 weeks it's at your door here in DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i really wonder how it is illegal to import used clothes, and every house in POP is a used clothing boutique.
    I wonder, too, but that is what the head of aduanas told me in the POP airport. He gave me the name and contact number of the head honcho in aduanas in Santo Domingo to get permission to bring the items in.

Lindsey

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen Ralph Lauren at la pulga and mun2 in Sosua but I would swing by this store in pop if there were Hermes items there! Where is this store?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanpedrogringo is right, boxed up used clothing sent through a mundanza comes right to your door. Aduana does do spot checks of the boxes, and they may X-ray a few, but they're looking for serious contraband like guns. *Just this week they found guns inside paint cans. He's also right that a LOT of the clothes come in over the border from Haiti.*

There is no paca store near our campo, but once a week a truck pulls into an empty lot, lines up tables and fills them with clothing.*

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

5. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sanpedrogringo View Post
    What is so hard to figure out? Are we losing something in translation here? NY is Dominican Central. Pack a box or boxes, or a plastic drum with items, call the shipping company, they come to you and pick it up, pay the price, and wham...in 3-4 weeks it's at your door here in DR.
    yes, sanpedro, but that puerta a puerta thing still has to clear customs....

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    I have seen Ralph Lauren at la pulga and mun2 in Sosua but I would swing by this store in pop if there were Hermes items there! Where is this store?
    there are 3 stores in POP. one on Beller, one near to tienda Jimenez, and one in that mini plaza near the stadium, where there is Western Union and the new french bakery...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"You can lead a horse to water....."

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My NYC mudanza has about 3 loads a week.
    Certainly has a deal with the dock.

In all my shipments, only once has the seal been broken.

Customs seems to turn a blind eye for them*

10. Likes sanpedrogringo, AlterEgo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    My NYC mudanza has about 3 loads a week.
    Certainly has a deal with the dock.

In all my shipments, only once has the seal been broken.

Customs seems to turn a blind eye for them*
    No where near the shipping track record you have as I have only shipped three blue barrels and one cardboard box. The mundaza asks, "What's in the barrel, clothes and food"? I shake my head yes. Three weeks later the barrel arrives at my door in la rep dom. Couldn't be easier. Picked up at my door in USA, three weeks later delivered to my door in the DR.

12. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Clothing, non-perishable food items, and toys do not get confiscated. Guns and drugs do. Electronics are a different ballgame. Gorgon, you once lived in New York, have you never had anybody send you something through a mundanza? I was up in New York the first week of November. Why? A two fold reason, but I won't go off-topic on one of them. The second was to ship my boy's clothing and toys for Christmas. My 2 tanks were delivered to my front door on Friday Dec 16th. No problems. No questions. No worries. As always. If you wish, on my next trip I'll send you some "I Love NY" $5 t-shirts, if you pick up my bar tab for a day. Then again, just head to the local pulga, there's plenty of them there for 100 pesos. 200 pesos around Valentine's Day for the heart caption on the t-shirt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast