Bringing dop into the dominican

Art Vandelay

Dec 15, 2016
Hola,
This may be a stupid question...
Just to save a little time on day one of my trip, instead of hunting for an atm for pocket pesos, can i get pesos at my local bank here in Canada and bring them to the DR ? If so how much is allowed
Gracias

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hola,
This may be a stupid question...
Just to save a little time on day one of my trip, instead of hunting for an atm for pocket pesos, can i get pesos at my local bank here in Canada and bring them to the DR ? If so how much is allowed
Gracias

i hardly think your local bank in Canada is going to have Dominican pesos on hand

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You may want to call American Express. If they don't have them, they may be able to order them for you.

Jul 28, 2014
You can bring Canadian dollars and have them exchanged when in La R.D., the dudes at the Casa de cambios aren't gonna give you a good rate though, you are better off using your Debit card in an ATM and getting $$ as required.

I believe 10,000 dollars is the Maximum you can bring in.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
AMEX has DOP, the rate is pretty bad.
You are better off bringing USD vs Loonies, the money guy OUTSIDE the terminal, right next to the car rental counter is quite fair.
Avoid the criminal operation by the luggage carousel, they give a nice 33% haircut on cambio.
As suggested the ATH will yield the most favourable rate.

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

I think over 10K is what is required to declare. You can bring as much as you want as long as you declare.

The Dominican Republic

You must declare the cash you are bringing into the Dominican Republic, but there is no limit on how much you can bring in. You may be forced to convert a minimum of USD$100 to Dominican Pesos upon arrival, though this rule is rarely enforced.

When you are leaving, you can only bring out the same or less than what you declared and brought in, provided it is under USD$10,000. You are not allowed to bring out more than USD$10,000.

You cannot import or export Dominican Pesos, however, so all money must be in another currency. If you have Dominican Pesos left over and you have failed to convert them prior to departure, you can get about 30% of the value back before departing.

http://www.immigroup.com/news/carrying-cash-you-travel-what-are-limits

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can order the pesos in advance in Canada - just call your bank....takes a week or so.

US $$$ are the best here but CAD work too.

I just bought UK pounds in RD today.... 100 pounds = 5800 pesos.
Chump change for arrival...... ATMs after that

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
You need USD$10 or euros cash for a tourist visa. I once showed up with only pesos and had to go to the exchange desk to buy a $10 bill. I think there's an online site to buy one as mentioned once here on DR1.

I'd just bring some cash (preferably dollars or euros but I'm sure Canadian green will work fine) and an ATM card. Be sure to let your bank know when and where your traveling.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I think over 10K is what is required to declare. You can bring as much as you want as long as you declare.

The Dominican Republic

You must declare the cash you are bringing into the Dominican Republic, but there is no limit on how much you can bring in. You may be forced to convert a minimum of USD$100 to Dominican Pesos upon arrival, though this rule is rarely enforced.

When you are leaving, you can only bring out the same or less than what you declared and brought in, provided it is under USD$10,000. You are not allowed to bring out more than USD$10,000.

You cannot import or export Dominican Pesos, however, so all money must be in another currency. If you have Dominican Pesos left over and you have failed to convert them prior to departure, you can get about 30% of the value back before departing.

http://www.immigroup.com/news/carrying-cash-you-travel-what-are-limits

The chain gang as I call them, the guys who shout out chains chains wanting to change your money will give you 90 % of what their price of selling as you enter the airport in POP if you ask. I have been with several people who asked me to give them $$$$ for their pesos. So I directed them to these guys.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hunt for an ATM? If there's one thing not lacking in DR it's banks and atm's. The biggest bank (Popular) isn't shy when accepting foreign cards. And many others either.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You don't have to worry about wasting any time on day one looking for an ATM. They have one at every airport. Also, there are cambios at every airport. You may not get the best exchange rate there, but just exchange $100 or so - enough to get you through day one.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You don't have to worry about wasting any time on day one looking for an ATM. They have one at every airport. Also, there are cambios at every airport. You may not get the best exchange rate there, but just exchange $100 or so - enough to get you through day one.

I would advice against using just any ATM. The most secure ones are those attached to a bank, and better yet - a major bank. I would avoid any hasty locations.

For the exchange rate, I would also advice against exchanging on airport, any agency back in your home country should have significantly better rates than any agency at an airport. So change a bit before departing, then use casa de cambio in the DR, but not at the airport. It might be just for one day, but you can lose a nice amount of money anyway.

I was once out of USD when entering and had to buy the tourist card, the exchange rate of USD/EUR was actually 1:1. And this wasn't now, it was when the difference was actually big. I know the rate USD/DOP might pretty much always be better, but still, I would not do it.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello, Usually Vimenca has better exchange rate from Canadian to pesos. 1 CAD x 33 RD. Maybe you can send yourself a wire and picked up here. If you bring US Dollars maybe you will loose money as Candian dollar is not so strong. Make the calculations.

Im not sure if in Punta Cana or La Romana the goverment has opened xchange place as they did in Santo Domingo Airport, its been more than one year that I dont visit Canada, but since the goverment bank is xchanging money at SDQ the other exchange houses has the same rate as goverment and now no body is reaped off with very low xchange rates. Goverment Bank is Banreservas or Banco de Reservas, so if you see it at the airport go there in case that you decide to bring your canadian dollars.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You can bring Canadian dollars and have them exchanged when in La R.D., the dudes at the Casa de cambios aren't gonna give you a good rate though, you are better off using your Debit card in an ATM and getting $$ as required.

Not sure which Casa de Cambios you use Guillermo but I find them to give the best rate. I have ones I use in the capitol (Off San Martin) Santiago (Cambio Ruso, calle del sol) and in Sosua the one next to the pharmacy. They give me much better rates than the banks of course but also better than Caribe. If I am exchanging more than a couple hundred they will almost always give me a bit more than their quoted or posted rate.
One note to the OP NEVER change money with the ladrones (thiefs) on the street.

Jul 28, 2014
Only tried a couple, but ATM has always given me a better rate than them, could have something to do with my bank in Canada also?

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
You can also order DOP online and pick up the pesos at the branch 2 or 3 days later. You can get a mixture of bills or all large or all small. Even got a bunch of 20 pesos bills. Unused bills fresh and clean, unlike the dirty one's in circulation in the D.R.
Saves time and hassle from changing after you arrive. Minimum amount to order is $300. CIBC is the bank that offers this, and no service charge.