punta cana, better than the capital?

jo2na

Feb 24, 2002
hopefully, i will be visiting punta cana. i was just wondering if its better than the capital? is it worth spending money at the resort, instead of staying free at a family members house? whats the better choice? thankx

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please understand that Pinta Cana is WAY out in the East, and there is nothing there except the hotels and their resources.
In Santo Domingo you have the vibrant night life and the hustle and bustle of a major capital city.
AND, if it free, you can better spend your money having fun, since you can bet that your family won't let you pay for food unless you offer and insist.
They are two different worlds, so you had better decide what you want: Peace and quite in a tourist environment or the YEAH BABY, in your face of the abig city.

Hb

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
"better" vs "worlds apart"

I have been to SD 4 times, and if I never see it again, I could still die a happy man.

The two places you are describing are absolutely worlds apart, and you need to figure out what you are coming for: Sun, beach, all inclusive type vacation...or the hectic pace of an enormous city full of garbage and traffic jams.

If you're here long enough, you might want to split it up...?

marc

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
well mark,
Santo Domingo is more than jam traffic and garbage.
We have over 500 years of history. there is a lot of place that you can visit during daytime. Nightlife? as great as any big city around the world. SD is a very exciting and cosmopolitan metropolis. hundreds of Discos to choice. Our restaurants are as good as New York city or Chicago.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
It always cracks me up when people fly down to the DR, hop on a resort bus then spend a week at Punta Cana then tell everybody they went to the Dominican Republic! Punta Cana is no more the DR than Cancun is Mexico or Disney World is the US. When I travel for leisure I tend to avoid resorts. The last people I want to see when I travel to another country is More Americans. I won't even mention Canadians or Euros.
The question you need to ask is what do you want? Do you want to lounge around all day at a beach resort? If yes, the PC is the place. Do you want to visit a wonderful exciting Country? The Santo Domingo is the place!

Tony C.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Santo Domingo

Hi John. You're talking to a farm boy from Saskatchewan. I can't stand big cities on my best day. I went to SD and loved the history, but it isn't a place I can handle in large doses. Disco's and that "night life" don't do it for me. Give me a bon-fire on the beach under the stars any day!

Definitely more to SD than traffic and garbage, but just not a place for me!

take care
marc