Potential Residency roadblock? Help

Milagros

Jan 12, 2017
Hello,

I am an American seeking Residency in the Dominican Republic. Before I undergo the process I needed to know if an Assault charge that is on my record would hinder my becoming a resident.

This assault charge was in 2013 in a domestic incident where I used pepper spray to defend myself from a family member with a weapon. We were both arrested and taken to the police precent and held for a few hours. The charges were dropped and no further action was taken. I do believe this incident is on my FBI report and so before I invest in residency I need to know if I would even be qualified or disqualified for this misdemeanor.

Thank you so much,

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There are websites where you can search your own criminal records in all 50 states. Last I ran it costs me ~$35. See what pops, but I think it's only convictions that matter. If it shows up, talk to your local Dominican embassy and see what they say.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hello,

I am an American seeking Residency in the Dominican Republic. Before I undergo the process I needed to know if an Assault charge that is on my record would hinder my becoming a resident.

This assault charge was in 2013 in a domestic incident where I used pepper spray to defend myself from a family member with a weapon. We were both arrested and taken to the police precent and held for a few hours. The charges were dropped and no further action was taken. I do believe this incident is on my FBI report and so before I invest in residency I need to know if I would even be qualified or disqualified for this misdemeanor.

Thank you so much,

My lawyer said that only felony charges would be impediments. And that was from Guzman - who is considered the top lawyer. Why would you think that being held for a few hours and having no charges would make it onto an FBI report? To be safe, you can go to any police precinct and get fingerprinted and send them off to the FBI yourself for a report on your record.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
My lawyer said that only felony charges would be impediments. And that was from Guzman - who is considered the top lawyer. Why would you think that being held for a few hours and having no charges would make it onto an FBI report? To be safe, you can go to any police precinct and get fingerprinted and send them off to the FBI yourself for a report on your record.

Good point; court orders and convictions are probably what is sent to the FBI. Wonder how NJ does it, since they only have high misdemeanors and low misdemeanors.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Am working on my resident visa also..........just got my F.B.I report back , first you need send them your fingerprints.....It is One short letter, that stated that I have never been arrested??? and it took them almost 3 months.... very sure the assault charge you are talking about will not be a problem. and maybe not even on their records, I had 2 incidents when I was in university that did not even show, if they did show it would not matter, not felonies............Doc...........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hello,

Thank you so much,

If charges were dropped you have no record.

Milagros

Jan 12, 2017
Thanks for your replies, pehaps I should add my mugshot was taken as well as my fingerprints. I keep hearing conflicting ideas about this so you can understand my concern. I've reached out to my local Dominican Embassy but no response yet

Thanks again

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

Thank you so much,

Being arrested is one thing but if the charges were dropped than you weren't convicted. I would say you should be able to apply for residency. I would go to the closest DR Consulate and talk to someone there about your situation and see what info they can give you.

Milagros

Jan 12, 2017
Being arrested is one thing but if the charges were dropped than you weren't convicted. I would say you should be able to apply for residency. I would go to the closest DR Consulate and talk to someone there about your situation and see what info they can give you.

I thank you all for your replies. Just for the record I received my FBI report back clean... 👐

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much,

Get your record expunged, that is, wipe out where it will not show up in a background check. Most states will have the form available online and you just have to submit it for consideration. It's not automatic, but if you can show that you have been a model citizen and no other incidents, then they will wipe it away.