AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
computer translation:

TOURIST BUS
Four people injured in an accident on the Saman? highway
THREE OF THE WOUNDS WERE REFERRED TO THE SAMAN? HOSPITAL, WHERE THEY ARE RECEIVED

Samana
Four people, including a tourist, were injured during an accident on Thursday in the Saman? motorway between a vehicle and a bus full of foreigners moving to Las Terrenas de Saman?.

The four injured passengers, whose names were not reported, were transferred to the public hospital in Saman? where they were said to recover from injuries received during the accident.

According to the reports, the crash occurred between a bus company Caribe Tour and a private car at kilometer 76 on the Saman? Highway, when the vehicle hit the bus, which had about 49 tourists of different sizes Nationalities.

During the accident only one tourist of Canadian nationality resulted with minor injuries, which were cured in the place of the fact and later the woman was dispatched, while the other victims received blows and injuries of care, that keep the observation in them The health center where they were transferred from emergency.

It was also reported that after the accident the vehicular traffic was interrupted, but as soon as the damaged vehicle was removed from the highway, the traffic was reactivated.

During the past year 2016, a large number of people lost their lives during a transitory accident involving traffic on the Saman? Highway, considered a very dangerous road to transit.

It was indicated that the vehicle that collided with the Caribe Tour company bus was practically destroyed due to the strong impact that was registered.

Members of the AMET Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the National Police began an investigation into the causes of the accident.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...nas-heridas-en-accidente-en-autovia-de-samana

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
computer translation:

TOURIST BUS
Four people injured in an accident on the Saman? highway
THREE OF THE WOUNDS WERE REFERRED TO THE SAMAN? HOSPITAL, WHERE THEY ARE RECEIVED

Samana
Four people, including a tourist, were injured during an accident on Thursday in the Saman? motorway between a vehicle and a bus full of foreigners moving to Las Terrenas de Saman?.

The four injured passengers, whose names were not reported, were transferred to the public hospital in Saman? where they were said to recover from injuries received during the accident.

According to the reports, the crash occurred between a bus company Caribe Tour and a private car at kilometer 76 on the Saman? Highway, when the vehicle hit the bus, which had about 49 tourists of different sizes Nationalities.

During the accident only one tourist of Canadian nationality resulted with minor injuries, which were cured in the place of the fact and later the woman was dispatched, while the other victims received blows and injuries of care, that keep the observation in them The health center where they were transferred from emergency.

It was also reported that after the accident the vehicular traffic was interrupted, but as soon as the damaged vehicle was removed from the highway, the traffic was reactivated.

During the past year 2016, a large number of people lost their lives during a transitory accident involving traffic on the Saman? Highway, considered a very dangerous road to transit.

It was indicated that the vehicle that collided with the Caribe Tour company bus was practically destroyed due to the strong impact that was registered.

Members of the AMET Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the National Police began an investigation into the causes of the accident.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...nas-heridas-en-accidente-en-autovia-de-samana

I can't really agree with the statement in this article that the Samana Highway is "considered a very dangerous road to transit". I have driven this highway many times, during the day and at night. Most of it is very easy driving, without much traffic. As on any highway there are those who drive too fast for the conditions and generally do not care about other drivers on the road. There will always be accidents when human judgement is involved. The overall driving skills in the DR is poor at best.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The data proves you wrong Stevie. Number of fatalities on the toll road is outrageous. This is indeed a dangerous road.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What does make that road dangerous is it is not a divided hwy. and has a lot of large curves. When you are dealing with the type of drivers here that can be a deadly combination. I would stay away at night.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Is this the highway that runs basically south to north from Santo Domingo to Samana (Nagua)?
Or is it the road that runs basically west to east from Naugua to Las Terranas along the cost?
Both, I believe, are toll roads.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is this the highway that runs basically south to north from Santo Domingo to Samana (Nagua)?
Or is it the road that runs basically west to east from Naugua to Las Terranas along the cost?
Both, I believe, are toll roads.

It is the first one, toll road to Nagua from near SDQ.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
It is the first one, toll road to Nagua from near SDQ.

Ok thanks. I've travelled both roads, and IMO, there better than most of the "highways" in the DR. But you still need to drive with extreme caution. Many blind curves on the road in question. Not a lot of vehicles (because of the tolls I think?) but still you get speeders and other reckless drivers.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The grading of the pavement is screwy in some places. Not bad in sunshine and dry conditions, but in a downpour the water tends to pool in the middle of the road and can get quite deep. With the quality of tires on many vehicles here, aquaplaning should be the norm.

True. Curves, hills, an ignored speed limit and an impression that traffic is light may induce one to step a little heavier on the accelerator.*

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The data proves you wrong Stevie. Number of fatalities on the toll road is outrageous. This is indeed a dangerous road.

If you are looking at statistics than you are right but I disagree that it is the design of the road. The people that are driving this road is what makes it dangerous. Yes there are a lot of curves when you enter the National Park area but if you maintain the correct speed it is not difficult driving. That is a big "if" for many DR drivers. I once saw a "local" passing a truck on one of these curves with double yellow lines. Many drivers in the DR have little patience, no courtesy and very poor driving skills. This is the real problem.