Public transportation from Punta Cana to Bayahibe

newuser

Bronze
May 12, 2002
Can anyone tell me what public transportation options are available between Punta Cana and Bayahibe? Thanks!

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
A bit complicated

Can anyone tell me what public transportation options are available between Punta Cana and Bayahibe? Thanks!

I don't believe that there are any, your best bet would be to negotiate with a taxicab for direct transport there. Other options if you're adventurous, would be guagua Punta Cana-La Romana, And/or Bavaro- Higuey, Higuey- La Romana, La Romana- Bayahibe. The guagua will drop you off in el parque central Duarte en La Romana and you could catch another one to Bayahibe from there. That's the easiest. The adventurous part is to get dropped off the highway entrance to Bayahibe off the Coral and Motoconcho into Bayahibe, I've seen the smaller guaguas as well.

I usually get dropped off at PUJ from La Romana for about RD4000, and I've paid as low as 3000 before and they've paid the tolls, so It's not far fetched that you can get a deal to Bayahibe, especially if there's a chance they might get a return fare to PC or PUJ.

Good luck,

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Of course there are public options. guagua's rule that.
You can take a bus to La Romana and then guagua. Or guagua the whole way.

The real question is: Is there a bus company that goes directly from PC to Bayahibe? I don't know the answer. Mike F would.

newuser

Bronze
May 12, 2002
I don't believe that there are any, your best bet would be to negotiate with a taxicab for direct transport there. Other options if you're adventurous, would be guagua Punta Cana-La Romana, And/or Bavaro- Higuey, Higuey- La Romana, La Romana- Bayahibe. The guagua will drop you off in el parque central Duarte en La Romana and you could catch another one to Bayahibe from there. That's the easiest. The adventurous part is to get dropped off the highway entrance to Bayahibe off the Coral and Motoconcho into Bayahibe, I've seen the smaller guaguas as well.

I usually get dropped off at PUJ from La Romana for about RD4000, and I've paid as low as 3000 before and they've paid the tolls, so It's not far fetched that you can get a deal to Bayahibe, especially if there's a chance they might get a return fare to PC or PUJ.

Good luck,

Thanks for your helpful information! Was the RD3,000 or RD4,000 fare that you paid in a taxi or on a motoconcho?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Only a crazy would take a Moto from PC to Bayahibe! Taxi will cost you $100-125

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Is this travel an adventurous day trip or you traveling other people and baggage to Bayahibe ? It may make a difference on recommended mode of transport.

Please note: If you already do know, great. But it is helpful to know a gua gua is a bus. The local route (smaller) buses rarely have space, if any, for baggage. The larger intercity buses usually have baggage space.

Regards,

PJT

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
One bus from Punta Cana to Higuey, then in Higuey another bus to La Romana, the bus stop is in the left front side of the Basilica, and tell the bus driver to drop you in front of Bayahibe bus stop that is just right away when you pass by the bridge in la Romana. in Total you will spend like 300.00 pesos.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Bingo!
One bus from Punta Cana to Higuey, then in Higuey another bus to La Romana, the bus stop is in the left front side of the Basilica, and tell the bus driver to drop you in front of Bayahibe bus stop that is just right away when you pass by the bridge in la Romana. in Total you will spend like 300.00 pesos.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for your helpful information! Was the RD3,000 or RD4,000 fare that you paid in a taxi or on a motoconcho?

You misunderstood, I meant moto from the entrance of Bayahibe off the Coral highway.

What I paid was for a taxi, brand new air conditioned vehicle.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The fact is you can take an express gua gua - grande with a/c and wifi (usually) from Friusa to La Romana. You can get off that gua gua at the BAYAHIBE parada in La Romana. Just tell the cobrador that is where you want to get off. From that Bayahibe stop, you can take the smaller gua gua to Bayahibe. Express from Friusa to La Romana is 225 pesos. La Romana to Bayahibe is 60 pesos. The Bayahibe guas guas are not at parque central - they are at their own stop near Jumbo.

Friusa is a 40 dollar taxi ride from PUJ. You can try to catch that express bus by going from PU to Veron instead of Friusa - but it is little more challeging. A taxi driver should be able to get you there - and it costs $10 I think. But, of course for either, you need to know the hours. They start in the morning and then I know 10:50 am, 1:20 pm., and 3:50 pm from Friusa. So the bus arrives in Veron after leaving Friusa about 30 minutes later. Yes, you can go to Higuey but you don't want to. Smaller gua gua and more time.

Jeepito is right about the hard way, get off at Bayahibe highway exit. Very challenging to get off, walk to underpass and flag down small gua gua coming from La Romana. There are moto conchos there too, but not a safe ride to Bayahibe.

Taxi is the most safe and sure if you are not experienced here. And if you have anything bigger than a small suitcase, the small gua gua from La Romana to Bayahibe will not work well, or at all. No space inside the gua gua - its mostly used by people that live in La Romana and work in Bayahibe.