?Tenemos ballenas?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Samana? They are supposed to start checking in soon......

Cannot W8!

Yes, normally the whales come to Samana Bay from the middle of January to the middle of March. You can probaby call Kim Beddall's Whale Watching Tour Company to confirm that they have begun to spot the Humpback Whales.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yes, normally the whales come to Samana Bay from the middle of January to the middle of March. You can probaby call Kim Beddall's Whale Watching Tour Company to confirm that they have begun to spot the Humpback Whales.

I'll keep checking; I know Kim. And then I will be there like a shot!

I think my patronus is a male humpback whale.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
I'll keep checking; I know Kim. And then I will be there like a shot!

I think my patronus is a male humpback whale.

I went fishing out of samana bay last monday, and I encountered four whales side by side, very special!
So yes they have arrived....

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I went fishing out of samana bay last monday, and I encountered four whales side by side, very special!
So yes they have arrived....

WOO HOO!

I think if there is such a thing as a spirit animal/patronus, mine is a male humpback. To be able to breach the water from thousands of depths as they do.....if only I could.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
WOO HOO!

I think if there is such a thing as a spirit animal/patronus, mine is a male humpback. To be able to breach the water from thousands of depths as they do.....if only I could.

How about starting off trying to breach the water from the bottom of a pool and work your way towards the ocean. You have to start somewhere? Practice taking a deep breath go to the bottom and push off at the same time launching your body out of the water and do a belly flop. That's as close as you will get.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
WOO HOO!

over in the silver banks they are breaching from 100 feet or less depth........5-10-20 times (some of the babies).........not necessary for depth.

dave

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I wonder if the whales are visible from the sky, say from one of the flights from Puerto Rico to either POP, STI or Samana's airport.

Now that I think of it, even domestic flights from Punta Cana and La Romana to the above mentioned airports (I doubt flights from La Romana to STI or POP requires passing over Samana Bay; from Punta Cana they definitely do for POP but not sure if also for STI) probably pass over Samana Bay.

If anyone is planning to be in any flights along those routes and will be on a window seat, have a camera or smart phone ready and bring us a few pics of the whales from the air, if they are visible.

Also flights to SDQ from Europe probably fly over Samana Bay too. That's another chance, although they probably pass too high for the whales to be visible.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I wonder if the whales are visible from the sky,

Sorry. Bad job with the cut & paste of your quote.

I can tell you from personal experience, flying in a 4-seat Cessna 172RG that yes, whales in the ocean are visible from the sky. We've seen them numerous times off the coast of Massachusetts, particularly when you do the turn-out from the Provincetown airport over to Race Point.

However, this is not the best way to see whales.

The experience in Samana is BEYOND and I advise everyone to do it.

But then again, the humpback whale is my spirit animal/patronus.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I wonder if the whales are visible from the sky,

Sorry. Bad job with the cut & paste of your quote.

I can tell you from personal experience, flying in a 4-seat Cessna 172RG that yes, whales in the ocean are visible from the sky. We've seen them numerous times off the coast of Massachusetts, particularly when you do the turn-out from the Provincetown airport over to Race Point.

However, this is not the best way to see whales.

The experience in Samana is BEYOND and I advise everyone to do it.

But then again, the humpback whale is my spirit animal/patronus.

Sort of a Nantucket Sleight ride?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I wonder if the whales are visible from the sky, say from one of the flights from Puerto Rico to either POP, STI or Samana's airport.

Now that I think of it, even domestic flights from Punta Cana and La Romana to the above mentioned airports (I doubt flights from La Romana to STI or POP requires passing over Samana Bay; from Punta Cana they definitely do for POP but not sure if also for STI) probably pass over Samana Bay.

If anyone is planning to be in any flights along those routes and will be on a window seat, have a camera or smart phone ready and bring us a few pics of the whales from the air, if they are visible.

Also flights to SDQ from Europe probably fly over Samana Bay too. That's another chance, although they probably pass too high for the whales to be visible.

There is a sort of non-official restriction to low flying there during the whale season so from around 2000 feet they look like sardines...The only real way to notice them from above is by their blowhole spray but it's not easy.Not the best way to view.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

There is a sort of non-official restriction to low flying there during the whale season so from around 2000 feet they look like sardines...The only real way to notice them from above is by their blowhole spray but it's not easy.Not the best way to view.