How much for teeth cleaning in Sosua ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I encouraged a Dominican friend to go visit a dentist when she told me she had un hoyo en un diente. Now she is in her early 20s and never has been to a dentist in her life, which I find incredible. But she managed to save about $150 and went to a local man and wife team (no names).
She paid all her ~ US $150 for work on a couple teeth including one filling but came back with a long list of work listed by tooth number for a total of 31,000 pesos including the 7,000 pesos she already paid but she said the rest is just for cleaning.
She told me the dentist charges per tooth to clean them - the typical plaque removal thing. Now I always have had my work done while back in the states but may start getting my checkups and cleaning done here.
I never paid more than $120 US for a full mouth cleaning with scraping and ultrasound. Is it possible they charge by the tooth to clean or do you think she did not understand ? What is a typical cost of a teeth cleaning in Sosua ? (the non-gringo price).

Last edited:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I can't see the cost of cleaning in your average DR dental establishment to be more than 1-2K pesos. One time I did cleaning in Santiago (Cibao dental or something, a tier one place) and it was the best cleaning ever for $100, - I don't think Sosua has comparable places. As for charging for cleaning per tooth - never heard of it, sounds just stupid.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I just had my teeth cleaned yesterday in Caberete for 2500 DR.I was told by a friend it was high, but It was done by the Dentist. I know him and he has done a lot of work on my teeth before. One of my friends came from Alaska and had him do a complete implant on his whole mouth. It went great and he has not had any problems for 3 years. So I think the young lady was taken advantagust a thought.e of. J

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I got a cleaning from Dr. Monica Garcia a few weeks ago. *It was 1200 pesos. She's in Sosua in the Plaza across from Playero. Speaks perfect English.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I got a cleaning from Dr. Monica Garcia a few weeks ago. *It was 1200 pesos. She's in Sosua in the Plaza across from Playero. Speaks perfect English.
25.00 dollars U.S for a teeth cleaning, by a Dentist. Man, that's what I call a value, I think I paid 25.00 dollar's for a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Thanks I saw her name posted on this forum previously. My next step is to call this other dental establishment and ask what work he is quoted for. If he is charging per tooth to clean ( it must be a misunderstanding) then I would warn others.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Thanks I saw her name posted on this forum previously. My next step is to call this other dental establishment and ask what work he is quoted for. If he is charging per tooth to clean ( it must be a misunderstanding) then I would warn others.

I presume it was you posting on FB, I saw the exchange. I would think that a visit to the office will clear up this 'incident'....yes a quick chat or written receipt should clear the matter up.

dave

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I presume it was you posting on FB, I saw the exchange. I would think that a visit to the office will clear up this 'incident'....yes a quick chat or written receipt should clear the matter up.

dave
Nope didn't use FB

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
So ChicoBill, those charges are not for a cleaning. That much money buys a few root canals. You're being played.
I use Wendy Juma and she is 1200 RD for a cleaning. Nice lady.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
These prices sound right. *For a cleaning in Santo Domingo we pay 1500 pesos, I think it was the same, or maybe 2,000, to replace a cracked filling with white filling. *

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
So ChicoBill, Both Wendy and Monica are in Sosua. There is an old thread with a lot of details call Dentist in Sosua or something like that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for mentioning Dra. Wendy Juma, who is a Sosua native and one of my former students in PUCMM in Santiago!
I always recommend her for work up there on the North Coast. Anything really complicated should be done in Santiago or Santo Domingo.

Have a good chilly day!

HB

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
anyone have prices on crowns and implants?

I went there the other day and asked those same questions. Dr Garcia is away right now and the receptionist said I needed to speak w her about prices.  I did confirm my Feb appoint for teeth cleaning though (1250 DR pesos).