Is Puerto Plata safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clermont

Nov 5, 2015
I plan to visit in April. I'm wondering if it's safe there. Are there any American restaurants there? It's on the Atlantic, right? So I take it the water is cold??? Thanks in advance.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I plan to visit in April. I'm wondering if it's safe there.

I've lived in Puerto Plata for more than 5 years, and not in a tourist zone. Yes, it's safe but it's a country and city with quite a few poor people and quite a few dishonest people, so if you have traveled in a 3rd world country before, or are otherwise well-versed traveled, you will have no issues. Keep in mind, that there are also quite a few good and honest people. Dominicans do not equal bad people.

You have to pay attention to your surroundings and look a bit where you are going, and try to avoid looking lost. Not wear jewelry etc. etc. Same advice really to goes with many countries.

If you find really friendly locals during your first days in the country, I would practice extra caution, as the locals who have pretty much normal and busy lives, are not that interested in hanging out with tourists from the first day. That is not to say you cannot make friends, my wife's (Dominican) sister used to work in a higher-end hotel, and made life-long (well, 15 years and counting) friends with a Canadian woman. Both honest and hard-working.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I plan to visit in April. I'm wondering if it's safe there. Are there any American restaurants there? It's on the Atlantic, right? So I take it the water is cold??? Thanks in advance.

it is the latitude that matters, not the ocean. it is 17 degrees north, so we are still talking tropical heat.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

2lyfqh.jpg

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I've lived in Puerto Plata for more than 5 years, and not in a tourist zone. Yes, it's safe but it's a country and city with quite a few poor people and quite a few dishonest people, so if you have traveled in a 3rd world country before, or are otherwise well-versed traveled, you will have no issues. Keep in mind, that there are also quite a few good and honest people. Dominicans do not equal bad people.

You have to pay attention to your surroundings and look a bit where you are going, and try to avoid looking lost. Not wear jewelry etc. etc. Same advice really to goes with many countries.

If you find really friendly locals during your first days in the country, I would practice extra caution, as the locals who have pretty much normal and busy lives, are not that interested in hanging out with tourists from the first day. That is not to say you cannot make friends, my wife's (Dominican) sister used to work in a higher-end hotel, and made life-long (well, 15 years and counting) friends with a Canadian woman. Both honest and hard-working.

Looking at his questions he doesn't seem to be well traveled nor very well educated. Los tigueres and chicas will have a blast with this one. ;)

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Probably a lot safer than New York or even St Louis for that matter. A guy got shot last night 3 miles from me here in Hot Springs Arkansas, so what means safe?
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Looking at his questions he doesn't seem to be well traveled nor very well educated. Los tigueres and chicas will have a blast with this one. ;)

when a guy is asking questions prior to visiting, and one is asking about American restaurants, we can surmise that he is a bubble dweller, and is a risk for *strange happenings

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Well, you want to have a good and positive experience. There are definitely areas which I would not consider safe for Gringos to wander around and see how the locals live. I know in my neighborhood, they've taken to intimidating and asking for stuff. "hey gringo, I want your sunglasses." I was on my motorcycle and one came up and asked for my tires. I laughed and said that he couldn't have them. However, the tourists are freaked out enough to hand over whatever. And, it goes rapidly down hill from there. Fear seems invites the predator instinct.

Even places that look inviting are trouble spots. The Malecon is a nice sidewalk that goes past idealic beaches, but it seems to be a constant source of violence and prostitution.

I'd recommend linking up with a taxi driver that can take you around and help keep you safe. I'm sure some people here can recommend somebody. I don't know of anybody that is bilingual.

Water is warm. People swim all the time, but be sure to take a good shower afterward. Sanitation isn't the best and as advertised on Nemo, all pipes lead to the ocean.

And, bottled water only including brushing your teeth.

As mentioned, it's all normal for a 3rd world country, but I'd exercise some caution if you're not use to it. If not, I'd recommend a All inclusive resort and venture out in the daytime with a taxi driver. If you like it, great. If not, you can still enjoy your vacation and time here.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Are there any American restaurants there?
I am sorry to report there are American restaurants in Pto Pta. I can understand your apprehension, but please do not let that deter you from visiting our wonderful city. For every American restaurant there are ten serving edible food.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am sorry to report there are American restaurants in Pto Pta. I can understand your apprehension, but please do not let that deter you from visiting our wonderful city. For every American restaurant there are ten serving edible food.

THere is even the Burger Thing (er King) if you cannot eat with the natives.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Please don't travel to foreign countries only to ask for American food, experience the foreign culture you silly Americans, and please don't wine when things don't work here (TV, water, electricity). Don't eat restaurant salads. *Don't get hustled etc (hey my friend where you going? *Just smile and say no gracias and keep walking like your going somewhere. *

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A note to the OP: the electricity service is as good in POP as American fast food joints...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
From reading the OP words. My advice is Book at one of the e AI's and stay inside the AI ...If you do venture out , make sure you go with a Local Expat who knows whats what, and please dont go out at night with a Flower shirts and a fat bulging wallet in your backpocket .
They ( expats living there, try to befriend one here, by participating) will also show you some good Places to eat as well.. and dont buy any overpriced junk, its all made in China anyway.
First Trip, its well enough to stay inside the AI, there is enough in there to keep you busy for a week. A lot of us got started that way .

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Do not come. Things will not end well for you.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Do not come. Things will not end well for you.

He would be ok, if he stays INSIDE the AI....some of the questions from people who claimed to have had SEVERAL trips were even worse .. "do the natives speak English, cuz I heard they teach it in school, Can i pay with US dollars at all the stores . Can I rent a Bicycle to look around , I dont like the Mopeds they pollute the air, How much is a Coconut on the outside "
So he aint alone.. Some never leave the AI for 3 straight Weeks ..

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Don't wear any expensive jewelry , keep your money in your front pocket ,always get a price on anything you do,moto concho,etc. and don't listen to most of the B.S these people are telling you, I've been living here over 20 yrs. and never had a problem.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
"they've taken to intimidating and asking for stuff"
What the hell is going on up there on the North Coast? I wish the best for everybody. Your health, your businesses, your investments, but if life is really that bad up there as such, you may want to consider other alternatives. You're all pretty much sitting there like sheep surrounded by wolves. Intimidating and asking for stuff? That's about two seconds before being attacked, robbed, and becoming a crime statistic.....any place in the world. You can't tolerate this behavior. You should be demanding more protection from your consulates. Please be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.