Paying part-time worker for national holiday

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have a part-time watchman who works one or two nights a week when the regular guy has his nights off. The part-timer worked on the recent Dia de Reyes and says that I have to pay him double. I know how to pay full-time workers but although I have looked on the Ministry of Labour website I can't find out how much to pay a part-time worker.

Is my guy right that I just pay him double his regular daily pay? Thanks for any advice.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
According to the labor law holidays worked must be pay as 100% of the regular value per hour. So if regular payment per hour is 5$ during holidays you must pay 10$ per hour.

While this is correct, I think the question is valid. Especially if the fill in security guard is supposed to work on days the regular one isn't around, it's likely he works many holidays *and I'd expect his salary be of a higher level to make up for that and in that case you don't need to pay him double. We pay a guard 6000 per month to work on sundays and Sunday to Monday night and holidays, but he's not receiving 200% for a holiday.*

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thank you for your HELPFUL answers! And just in case Derfish's comment has given the impression that I am mean, I can assure you that I pay more than $5 per night!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
With the amount of times that household help (maids and watchy men) are involved in "inside jobs" why would you want the guy angry with you? Also, if he takes you to the labor office who do you think is gonna win?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The relevant articles in the Labor Code are the following:

Artículo 164.- Si el trabajador presta servicio en el período de su descanso semanal, puede optar entre recibir su salario ordinario aumentado en un ciento por ciento o disfrutar en la semana siguiente de un descanso compensatorio igual al tiempo de su descanso semanal. Artículo 165.- Los días declarados no laborables por la Constitución o las leyes, son de descanso remunerado para el trabajador, salvo que coincidan con el día de descanso semanal.

In my view, this means thet the worker, if he decides to work on the holiday, has the right to receive double his normal slary

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The relevant articles in the Labor Code are the following:

Artículo 164.- Si el trabajador presta servicio en el período de su descanso semanal, puede optar entre recibir su salario ordinario aumentado en un ciento por ciento o disfrutar en la semana siguiente de un descanso compensatorio igual al tiempo de su descanso semanal. Artículo 165.- Los días declarados no laborables por la Constitución o las leyes, son de descanso remunerado para el trabajador, salvo que coincidan con el día de descanso semanal.

In my view, this means thet the worker, if he decides to work on the holiday, has the right to receive double his normal salary