Whale Watching 2017

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I recently read in the papers that the season runs from January through March. Can any locals recommend any up to date excursion location info and/or places to stay? Thank you.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
GOOGLED http://www.whalesamana.com/

https://www.viator.com/Samana-tours/Dolphin-and-Whale-Watching/d4177-g3-c77?pref=02

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowT...renas_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl...d=0ahUKEwjkpMLh18rRAhUJJMAKHXy3Bc0QoioIvQEwDw

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I never got the opportunity. After using some of the very useful information provided here by other posters (whom I truly thank), I did some homework and realized it's not the type of activity for my group right now. I have a few little guys who may be too little. Hopefully next year. Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I never got the opportunity. After using some of the very useful information provided here by other posters (whom I truly thank), I did some homework and realized it's not the type of activity for my group right now. I have a few little guys who may be too little. Hopefully next year. Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

Good decision. The Whale Watching Tour with Kim Bedall is great however it is 2-3 hours long and if you are so inclined it is easy to get sea sick if the Bay is even a little rough. I would not recommend taking kids that are less than 5 years old. That being said I am sure there are many people who have taken their children of any age and enjoyed the experience.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I recently read in the papers that the season runs from January through March. Can any locals recommend any up to date excursion location info and/or places to stay? Thank you.

I can recommend an awesome place to stay. But my Dominicana friend booked the boat, using some kind of Dominican-to-Dominican magic, so we didn't pay the higher prices that the bigger boats ask. And we saw lots and lots of whales last year!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I can recommend an awesome place to stay. But my Dominicana friend booked the boat, using some kind of Dominican-to-Dominican magic, so we didn't pay the higher prices that the bigger boats ask. And we saw lots and lots of whales last year!

I would not recommend going out in a small skiff that has no sun protection. If you get seasick you certainly won't care if you see whales or not.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Went yesterday morning.  Saw maybe 3-4 whales. Small to medium size. Plus a pack of 5-6 dolphins. 

Who did you go with?
How was the experience overall?
Where did you go from?  I was supposed to go on an all day trip from POP but they overbooked and canceled me at last minute.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
A friend of mine lives on the ocean in the north coast. He says that the whales are very few for the last few years and none yet this year. Years ago he would see almost a constant stream all day and hear them at night. Now... nothing.

He recommends a longer boat trip to the Silver Banks that some say are great even at the price. Some just don't like the price. The Silver Banks is a marine sanctuary and are not too far north of the D.R. I didn't look up what port they are using.

I Googled and though I'm not booking, it might be an exciting option for others. I've done many whale boat tours and land watching in the past so don't need the added expense/experience now. But can say that a good boat tour with a good crew is well worth it for a once in a lifetime adventure. That you will never forget.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Who did you go with?
Where did you go from?  I was supposed to go on an all day trip from POP but they overbooked and canceled me at last minute.

We wanted to go with the Kim Beddel tour out of Samana, but when we tried to book the day before, they were already sold out.
We were staying in Las Galeras. The hotel,owner/operator, (Hans) told me that most of the boats from Samana circle around from the south coast of the peninsula (Samana Bay) up to the north coast of the peninsula (Baya Rincon??) right off Las Galeras.  So instead of driving back south to Samana the next morning to get on one of the many boats available there, we just walked down to the Las Galeras playa (beach) and negotiated with the boat owners there.

We ended up getting our own 24' open boat with a crew of 2 (pilot in the stern, spotter in the bow).  We paid $100 for the whole boat. That included as much whale watching as we wanted. As much snorkeling off a great secluded beach as we wanted. And as much food and drink as we wanted. There were maybe 5-6 similar boats and I think they all join together to use a single cooking crew who prepare the beach BBQ while your out whale watching.

Overall, good experience. We saw dolphins and 3-5 whales. Food was decent. Drinks were beer, rum, soft drinks or water. Scenery was stunning! Secluded beach against the cliffs with line of trees adding some green to the white sand and blue sky background. 

And because the boat was all ours, we could stay as long as we wanted, or return as early as we wanted.

But, as a previous poster mentioned, these boats are not the best if your prone to seasickness.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was without internet for awhile. Hope you enjoyed your trip?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Who did you go with?

Try to book with Kim Beddal in Samana. She is the tour guide and also a scientist who has studied the whales for years. Her boat is a good size and has a enclosed cabin or you can be on the top deck and the fresh air. I would recommend staying inside if you get the least bit seasick. It is stuffy and you will feel the rocking of the boat. Worth the trip.