Importing a CLASSIC CAR .

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Hello , I have searched everywhere on info for importing a Classic car or " Hot Rod " . I ran across one bit of info saying I would need a letter from a local car club . Of course I don't want ANY trouble once I ship it . I'm thinking there must be a lawyer , or , broker that specializes in importing vehicles . Again , I've read the info on importing regular cars till my eyes crossed .This is a 1973 Chevrolet Nova. Any help I would very much appreciate . Thank you .

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
You will be taxed heavily because its an 8-cylinder vehicle. Are you living in DR permanently, I assume so. The salt air will wreck havoc on your classic.

Jan 9, 2004
Hello , I have searched everywhere on info for importing a Classic car or " Hot Rod " . I ran across one bit of info saying I would need a letter from a local car club . Of course I don't want ANY trouble once I ship it . I'm thinking there must be a lawyer , or , broker that specializes in importing vehicles . Again , I've read the info on importing regular cars till my eyes crossed .This is a 1973 Chevrolet Nova. Any help I would very much appreciate . Thank you .

Find the CAACRD on Facebook and contact them. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=CAACRD They will have the most up to date and relevant information. Be kind to them as they must issue you a letter indicating the car is indeed a Classic.....otherwise you will not pass Go.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Thank you

I will be residing here semi permanently. I definitely will not get my money selling the car in Canada . And , I enjoy the car . So I'd rather have it here to enjoy . P.S. Canadas salt isn't much easier . Haha !

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Thank you

I will be residing here semi permanently. I definitely will not get my money selling the car in Canada . And , I enjoy the car . So I'd rather have it here to enjoy . P.S. Canadas salt isn't much easier . Haha ! Thank you for the INFO on CAACRD . Now I'm getting somewhere !

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I would like to have my Saab 99 that's still in Holland, get over but it is such a hassle and rip off. I just forget it. The DR just to do not see the difference between a classic car and an old car. People on the street would feel pity for you driving a classic car. 
Pobrecito....cant buy a jeepeta.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I will be residing here semi permanently. I definitely will not get my money selling the car in Canada . And , I enjoy the car . So I'd rather have it here to enjoy . P.S. Canadas salt isn't much easier . Haha !

Your classic car won't remain a classic for very long if you bring it to the DR. Is there no possibility of selling it in the U.S.? If you are going to be in the DR for part of the year you will need to find a garage to store it in for the rest of the time. The inactivity will not be good for the engine. Sell it, sell it, sell it!! For what it will cost you to import it get rid of it even if you have to sell it in Canada.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Your classic car won't remain a classic for very long if you bring it to the DR. Is there no possibility of selling it in the U.S.? If you are going to be in the DR for part of the year you will need to find a garage to store it in for the rest of the time. The inactivity will not be good for the engine. Sell it, sell it, sell it!! For what it will cost you to import it get rid of it even if you have to sell it in Canada.

And I'd be glad to take it off of your hands. Those are one of my all time favorites.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I guess it depends on what semi-permanently means. You would have to be able to store your car at your residence. And any time left in the sun is deadly.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Your classic car won't remain a classic for very long if you bring it to the DR. Sell it, sell it, sell it!! .
He wants to drive it. So Drive it! Here's one from the car club. His won't be the only Nova on the island.
15895389_1210704245633366_2175148639131635993_n.jpg

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I looked at a 72 Corvette here last year. The fiberglass body was naturally fine but the frame and suspension looked like swiss cheese.  I asked the guy how long the car was on the island and said 3 or 4 years. Do yourself and the car a big favor and sell it back home.
Not sure which province you are from but advertise it on kijiji in AB and BC. Even with all the doom and gloom from the media if its a truce classic or muscle car you should get good money for it.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Sounds like a great car..........I wouldnt recommend bringing the car down to the DR, My experience is you will have much trouble and money spent.............. and if the 73 nova is a Super sport, 4 speed, 350 v8...it is a semi classic. other 73 novas are hot rods, and just old cars, the dividing line is 1970 and older, I sold nova super sport novas in 73 and 74 fun cars..........Doc......

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
As with vehicles everywhere, there are lots of older vehicles here that are in perfectly fine shape for their age.

Give me a 73 Nova in good condition, and I'll guarantee you I can keep it that way for many years.

Anybody want to see my 1990 Wrangler? Bought new and sold for more than I paid for it.
My 1990 cherokee?

My 2000 Montero?

How about my 1988 hilux?

All of them are in excellent condition.

When I sold my Nissan B13, it still looked like brand new.

Heck, even my 1960 golf cart still gets up and goes.

All depends how you take care of them.

I say bring it down.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I looked at a 72 Corvette here last year. The fiberglass body was naturally fine but the frame and suspension looked like swiss cheese.  I asked the guy how long the car was on the island and said 3 or 4 years. Do yourself and the car a big favor and sell it back home.
Not sure which province you are from but advertise it on kijiji in AB and BC. Even with all the doom and gloom from the media if its a truce classic or muscle car you should get good money for it.
The frame and suspension were bad before the car got to the DR.

I'm curious: how much was he asking for the '72 Corvette?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The frame and suspension were bad before the car got to the DR.

I'm curious: how much was he asking for the '72 Corvette?

I never gave him an offer but he said he was in the 30,000USD range. I restored a 76 years ago and a 82 collectors edition about 5 years ago. They are true money pits but a blast to drive. The first thing I did on the 76 was put a stroker in it. That made it fun. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I never gave him an offer but he said he was in the 30,000USD range. I restored a 76 years ago and a 82 collectors edition about 5 years ago. They are true money pits but a blast to drive. The first thing I did on the 76 was put a stroker in it. That made it fun. 
I'm seriously pondering a C3 for my next hobby car. Never had a 'Vette before. Not sure a ton of ponies is a great idea in the DR...

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
The frame has been tied , and oiled .Body panels all new , and oiled .327 just over 500 lift cam , etc etc . It wont be a daily driver . Just so much fun on the right roads . It will be stored high and dry .Thanks for all the advice . The car club was the answer I needed . Thanks again to all .

Jan 9, 2004
The frame has been tied , and oiled .Body panels all new , and oiled .327 just over 500 lift cam , etc etc . It wont be a daily driver . Just so much fun on the right roads . It will be stored high and dry .Thanks for all the advice . The car club was the answer I needed . Thanks again to all .

Lots of different car shows almost every weekend throughout the country.

What was under the hood prior to the 327? I do not believe it was available as a factory option in '73.

Glad the Car Club info was helpful.

Good luck.....and enjoy.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

You have to upload your picture to the internet, then paste the image address to your post.

I just want to hear it after it gets here. I love the sound of a cammed up engine.