Weather hiking Pico Duarte

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
I am thinking of hiking Pico Duarte in mid February. Does anyone know the average temperatures in the higher elevations there? Is there typically much rainfall that time of year?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
February used to be the best month of the year to go, because of the low temperatures (climbing up in the blistering sun is not that pleasant) and it hardly rained in january and february. Since a few years it rains also in January and February, but still February is considered the best month to go. 

I went once, and it was in April, temperature at night probably  5 or 6  degrees Celsius) (at the last stop before the top (la comparticion)). Now and in february it should be less. During the day it goes up fast. Anyway, you'd bring a sweater for the night, but shouldn't wear it when going up the last part, from comparticion to the top (often early in the morning), it's cold at first but the hike will make you warm fast enough and once the sun is out it warms up fast. 

On a side note: it was the best trip I made in this country.

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
February used to be the best month of the year to go, because of the low temperatures (climbing up in the blistering sun is not that pleasant) and it hardly rained in january and february. Since a few years it rains also in January and February, but still February is considered the best month to go. 

I went once, and it was in April, temperature at night probably  5 or 6  degrees Celsius) (at the last stop before the top (la comparticion)). Now and in february it should be less. During the day it goes up fast. Anyway, you'd bring a sweater for the night, but shouldn't wear it when going up the last part, from comparticion to the top (often early in the morning), it's cold at first but the hike will make you warm fast enough and once the sun is out it warms up fast. 

On a side note: it was the best trip I made in this country.
Awesome thank you.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I am thinking of hiking Pico Duarte in mid February. Does anyone know the average temperatures in the higher elevations there? Is there typically much rainfall that time of year?

Prepare for all situations. I hiked it in February. On the way up it was mostly dry. Some areas were wet or I wanted to pass some slow hikers so I used some of the side paths which were slippy in some areas and deep think mud in other places. No problem. On the way down, it rained hard, and the paths turned into mud shoots. The paths have eroded about six feet deep or more in many areas, and the mud was flowing down about six inches thick. Most people either slid down or ran down the steep sections because it was difficult to step or retain footing. At the bottom, most had mud up to their waists. There is a stream at the bottom where everyone jumped in to wash off the mud. Bring flip flops. At the top camp is a pipe in the ground where you can take a cold shower under a trickle of water.

At night it went down to 34 degrees at the last camp. At the peak the next day it was nice and warm with very few clouds. Our guide said we were lucky because many times you just see clouds and mist. If you want to train for this, walk stairs for about 8 hours every day.

Great experience but it was a challenge.