quick spanish test in diario libre today

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I scored 10.

That's a very good general beginner level test for Spanish-speaking students and foreigners. The questions are typical basic grammar concepts as they relate to spelling that one learns in school. However, the questions don't have anything to do with texting in my opinion. It's either you can answer them or not. The other issue is understanding what is being asked. 

I do believe texting has compromised the spelling of those who can't spell or another way to look at it is it covers a problem that already existed but I think overall it definitely has an impact on one's spelling in general.

-MP.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I got a 9! By the way, I kind of disagree with the article. I believe that bad spelling can be "contagious".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aug 6, 2006
10 out of ten, but I cheated by having degrees in Spanish/Castellano

A palabra aguda is a word that ends in a stressed syllable: verdad, miró. Words that end in any consonant except n or s are agudas unless they have a written accent.

A palabra grave is a word stressed on the next to last (penúltimo) syllable. Words that end in aeiou, n or s are palabras graves, unless they have a written accent.

A palabra esdrújula is a word that is stressed on the next to the next to the last (antepenútimo) syllable esdrújula is a palabra esdrújula, so are Álvaro and Urchusuástegui. A sobreesdrújula word is a word stressed on the the next to the next to the next to the last syllable. Apágamelo, cándidamente. These words are rare and usually compound words. You can find more examples by googling the term.

Syllables are always counted from the end in Spanish. In English, we count from the start of the word.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks guys.

i never studied spanish, all i know i learnt in DR by simply using the language. my grammar is lacking but orthography is pretty neat because i read local newspapers every day (although dominican journalists make lots of mistakes too). i have good memory for words too so it helps a lot.

Aug 6, 2006
Not that I am an expert, but Polish spelling seems to me to be a chore. Polish is phonetically like Russian, and the Cyrillic Russian alphabet has 33 letters. The Latin alphabet was clearly not designed for the sounds of Polish and other Slavic languages. So I imagine that anyone who can write in Polish would likely be pretty meticulous with spelling in general.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I got 10. As I was never taught Spanish grammar I didn't learn the accent terminology until my son was in primary school and I had to help him with his homework.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I believe that social media can encourage poor spelling.

What you are saying is similar to what I said in my first post in this thread. It can have an overall impact on one's spelling but in what way is the question. I have no social media interaction and do limited texting but for those who communicate regularly on social media may see their spelling change over time especially the usage of short  forms which I find end up being harder to decipher sometimes. A text with a bunch of letters and numbers ends up being gibberish. For example, q = que or k = okay etc. 

Estoy de acuerdo contigo pero pienso que si uno escribe mal desde el principio eso es el problema y la comunicación a través de la red social no ayuda para nada.

-MP.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
My smart phone makes texting in Spanish difficult, because it tends to "correct" proper Spanish words for similarly spelled English ones. Fortunately, I can back up to the original word I typed and put in a space, and it learns the new Spanish word and does not mess up my message the next time. So the more I type messages in Spanish, the less of a nuisance this becomes.

Being a cheapskate, I bought an android Huawei from Consumer Cellular for $85 that seems to do everything that people do with their more expensive Samsungs and iPhones.

The main disadvantage is that finding a case for it is more difficult. It is a quarter of an inch off in one of the dimensions.

The Dominicans I text in Barahona are hideously atrocious spellers. Spelling does not seem to be a major feature of thye curriculum. The textbooks they issue to the kids are fine, but they are used poorly.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for posting that test! I am going use it to test some junior students.

I scored 10 and honestly any educator that does not should not be teaching. 

In my opinion, that is a junior level test. I would say grades 5-8 should be able get a perfect score. 

If that level of Spanish is challenging the average Dominican (adult) it confirms that education needs a serious revamp in the DR.

We can't blame everything on technology. The usage of technology in all facets is still new. The education problem was there before. The article stated what my mantra is everyday to language students- read, read,read. Your grammar and spelling will improve drastically.

The test is pan comido!

-MP.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
9 out of 10 for myself. Gave me a little added spring in my step this afternoon. I forwarded the link to several people. Thank you dv8 for posting.