Seriously, What's going on in Santiago?

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
It's called sample size problem which makes all these types of comparisons based on input of 5 reviewers for one city vs input of 7 reviewers for another city pretty lame. But hey, I just went in and singlehandedly improved the Santiago crime index by 15 percent - the world can breathe again...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
A friend of mine walked home after a few beers a month ago and got held up by gun point in the middle of town (16 de Agosto). He is very street smart (except for the fact of being on the street downtown at night).
On the few occasions that I have walked either downtown or from Ahi Bar or a spot I like at across from the Monumento I am very quick, cautious and aware of anyone approaching. I always have a blade or bottle (not great items to take to a gun fight).
I would not suggest anyone walk downtown at night (except the possible exception of my first ex wife).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Crime in Santiago isn't bad compared to some of the other places I've lived on
the island. Compare it to where I was born (Arlington) Jacksonville, FL or
where I spent most of my adult life (9th Ward) New Orleans, LA....
The crime here aint sh*t.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
santiago has high crime rate because it a second biggest city (after SD) and the third biggest province (after SD and DN). so yeah, more people means more crime.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Crime here 'ain't sh*t until you're the victim....which I don't wish on anybody.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
santiago has high crime rate because it a second biggest city (after SD) and the third biggest province (after SD and DN). so yeah, more people means more crime.

Think about it.....

RD has 9-10 million people.
SD has 4-5M, STI has another 1M
The POP, Sos/Cab area must be another 1M

The rest of the country is pretty empty.

Care to hazard a guess where the crime might pop up?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Think about it.....

puerto plata province is the 6th most populated (around 470,000 people, according to 2014 census) with san cristobal being 4th and la vega being 5th. both of those provinces have higher homicide numbers than puerto plata. san pedro (7th), duarte (8th) and altagracia (9th) provinces all have smaller population than puerto plata yet the homicide numbers are higher. southern provinces have also higher rate of crimes related to drugs.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Corruption and bribery are the highest concerns..........Who elected these clowns........elect different politicos, pay the police a living wage.......that folks would be the start of something very good ....maybe.......Doc....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Really?
I'm the "friend" in post #3. Give it a rest sweetheart, crime here is nothing compared
to back home. END OF STORY.

Must be a sad home :( :(

Crime is much more present here than back home. Real crime that is. ie murders/violent deaths / robberies with people hurt.......
On the other hand petty crime is higher back home.

I have a theory.  
The "real" criminals are not scared of the police neither of the justice system ( sic ) here in the dr.  Since the whole thing is a joke, i dont blame them.
On the other hand the pequeños ladrones are mostly opportunity crimes. And here in the dr, they are not going to risk getting shot, or shived, for a chinese made phone.

That said if dealing with tourists, its a diffrent game ...... as they hardly ever shoot back ;)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
A friend of mine walked home after a few beers a month ago and got held up by gun point in the middle of town (16 de Agosto). He is very street smart (except for the fact of being on the street downtown at night).
On the few occasions that I have walked either downtown or from Ahi Bar or a spot I like at across from the Monumento I am very quick, cautious and aware of anyone approaching. I always have a blade or bottle (not great items to take to a gun fight).
I would not suggest anyone walk downtown at night (except the possible exception of my first ex wife).

Santiago almost doesn't have spots that I would consider walkable at night with any degree of comfort - and 16 de agosto is barely walkable at daytime in my opinion (too little foot traffic, too many tigueres). If it's more than a couple of blocks, just call a taxi guys.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Cristo Rey

To: living in the Lower 9th Ward
Interesting. I live in the Marigny near Elysian Fields and the River in New Orleans.

I am retired, and after three or four DR visits, thinking of leasing a place on the North
Coast.
Can you you suggest a quiet livable area with a good number of expats that would my transition smoother.
Otherwise, I'm headed to Merida or San Miguel de Allende in a few months.
RSVP,

thanks
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Keep comments/posts DR related.
Non-DR/Off Topic comments/posts subject to deletion.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Think about it.....

The rest of the country is pretty empty? C'mon man. Leave the pearly gates and explore. There is a bigger world out there, and here. Allow yourself to explore and investigate.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Seriously, What's going in in Santiago?

The rest of the country is pretty empty? C'mon man. Leave the pearly gates and explore. There is a bigger world out there, and here. Allow yourself to explore and investigate.

Yes. William Web is correct. The rest of the country is pretty empty/sparsely populated.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Once again, in most U.S. cities if you stay out of the "wrong areas" in the states you can avoid most problems HOWEVER here in the D.R. that doesn't apply. How many times have you had a gun pointed at you twice in 2 weeks in the states like you did in Santiago (that doesn't include you doing or being anywhere you should not have been).

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Again...

The thread title is "Seriously, What's going on in Santiago?"

Last edited: