Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ventura killed in car crash.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    Yordano Ventura was 'robbed of World Series ring and cash' as he lay dying after car crash - as it's revealed his family's claim to his $20m fortune hinges on if he was drunk

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4WlU5VFdT
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Not true.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    my friend and i went to the capital on Thursday. i observed the driving, and  the only thing i wondered was how the death rate on DR highways is so low. it appears that nobody knows how to drive a car!! guys overtaking around corners, at the crest of hills, on the inside of traffic..in tunnels, for chrissakes!! .it boggles the mind.-
    Exactly. Many in the DR have no driving skills. They learned by trial and error, mostly error. They were never taught any courtesy or restraint. When the right of way basically is whoever has the biggest vehicle then craziness on the highway will occur.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LTSteve View Post
    Exactly. Many in the DR have no driving skills. They learned by trial and error, mostly error. They were never taught any courtesy or restraint. When the right of way basically is whoever has the biggest vehicle then craziness on the highway will occur.
    there are islands in the caribbean, like Jamaica and Barbados, which are drivers' cultures. from youth, everybody strives to be a good driver. it is in the cultural genetics. when i was growing up, i would get into hair raising road races, knowing that the guy whom i was up against would not do something insane and wreck both of us. in the DR, i would never take such a chance, because guys have zero skills.

driving is a composite of many moving parts, one of which is eye contact, or the ability to see the other driver. in the DR, that is not possible, because every mook is hidden behind some opaque tint on his windows.

5. Likes CAPAMERICA liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes bob saunders, BermudaRum liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Isn't that one of the curses of this twisted modern world we live in.  Why should a person who is particularly good at throwing, catching or hitting a small ball be rewarded and made into a multimillionaire?  To me it is obscene to watch a game of many team sports where the salaries of the combined team exceed the GDP of a small country.
    Growing up in the USA, I am old enough to remember when professional sports athletes were paid a normal amount of money for PLAYING their sport.......they bought most of their own equipment....worked a job on the off season , because they had to. The owner of the Minnesota Twins baseball team in the 1960s, Calvin Griffen told his players, if you dont like your contract money, go drive a truck it pays the same. I played sports all the way from when I was small through University. ......I can tell you todays pro athletes have almost nothing in common with the fans that pay their contracts.......today I dont even watch pro sports....the sports system needs a overhaul.....when young men are multi millionaires over night they lose touch with reality, many times with bad results........Doc..........

9. Likes beeza liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freqexpat View Post
    Spent an tremendous amount of time in Barbados over my first 30 years of life. The driving culture there is not much different from the DR, at least for the locals. Have you ever noticed the bus drivers racing through the streets to see who will win the bet for the day to make their rout and get back to Bridgetown first. These guys take those buses around corners on what is essentially a one way street doing 80. Knuckle heads with tricked out muscle cars do the same irresponsible nonsense with drinking and driving that you see in the DR. Some of the drivers have the same immaturity and ignorance that you see in the DR. The population of Barbados is much much smaller than the DR but they unfortunately have their representative share of the same type of tragic accidents also, two victims of which I knew personally.
    i agree that the guys do hair raising idiot stunts in Barbados, but the difference is that they can drive a car there. and, yes, guys are going to get killed in accidents, too. just like playing baseball is a cultural thing in DR, driving cars is the Barbados pastime..along with cricket.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    Growing up in the USA, I am old enough to remember when professional sports athletes were paid a normal amount of money for PLAYING their sport.......they bought most of their own equipment....worked a job on the off season , because they had to. The owner of the Minnesota Twins baseball team in the 1960s, Calvin Griffen told his players, if you dont like your contract money, go drive a truck it pays the same. I played sports all the way from when I was small through University. ......I can tell you todays pro athletes have almost nothing in common with the fans that pay their contracts.......today I dont even watch pro sports....the sports system needs a overhaul.....when young men are multi millionaires over night they lose touch with reality, many times with bad results........Doc..........
    absolutely spot on. when a guy who could barely find enough money to buy a platano suddenly commands 7 and 8 figures for hitting a ball with a stick, bad things can happen..

12. Likes USA DOC liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    I was one who played when there was not a lot of money in pro sports unless you were a superstar. My largest contract was $26,000 in '76. I had a lockermate, an 8-year veteran OL, who was making $65,000.

Back then everyone had an off season job. I worked in a park in St. Petersburg. My lockermate was learning the carpet trade in St. Louis (as a side note, he was like Bubba Blue in Forrest Gump, except for carpet. I can't recall a conversation that didn't have carpet sneak in...)

But at the same time player payroll was like 12% of team revenues, and the players union had an owners flunky as the head. Now players are more fairly compensated as a % of team revenues, around 47-48.5%.

The WFL attempted to change this in '75 by having contracts with a minimum plus a % of gate receipts. Unfortunately, the gate was poor, and guys played for the minimum (unless a superstar.)

It's not just young athletes making stupid money. The same happens in music, Hollywood and other areas.

If folks don't like athletes, musicians or actors making all that money and acting the fool, just refuse to watch or listen to them.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

No one on the planet is a "good driver" when drunk.

15. Likes RV429, acmike, RG84 liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910