Atypical Sankie or just an opportunist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
I found this forum tonight after a trip to the DR last week.  Wish I'd found it before my trip because you guys are hilarious, although a little harsh on fat American girls.  

I am 53 and do alright with guys at home despite a few extra pounds.  I normally do volunteer type vacations (Habitat, biological research) in Spanish speaking countries, but decided to take a regular vacation to Cabarete.  I ended up spending a good deal of time practicing Spanish with a young Haitian bartender.  He seemed an interesting guy, educated, speaks several languages and teaches French.  We talked history of the DR and Haiti, politics American and Caribbean, nothing romantic or sexual.  My last day there we did the friends on Facebook thing, no big deal as I was doing the same with several other guests I had befriended.

The day I get home I have a message hoping I got home alright.  A little odd to message so soon without much of a reason, but maybe he is just being nice.

The next day another message thread which becomes flirtatious.  I went along because it's kind of fun, but it was suddenly like speaking to someone entirely different than I had met.  A pretty obvious ploy, although what the end game is I'm not clear.  No requests for money or anything (yet).

I'm fascinated enough by this Sankie thing that I may just string it along and see what happens.  (No danger of me sending any money, I'm cheap and probably didn't even tip him adequately, lol).  Or maybe I'll tell him tomorrow that I've lost my job while on vacation and need help paying my rent. Scam the scammer.

It doesn't seem like the typical way, but maybe I didn't seem like a good prospect until after I left?  If he were really smart, he would have gone for some kind of "starting a non profit to help my people" scam.  That would have a much better chance with this bleeding heart liberal.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Do not respond. Run, and run fast. On your next trip, if you'd like to visit San Pedro de Macoris....I'm starting a non profit to help my people.......
Seriously, be careful. There are many women here that can help you, some are even published. Be careful. Did I mention being careful?

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
Seriously?  What kind of danger can I be in at this point?  He doesn't have my address or email or anything like that, even.....

Oh, and I would be happy to help with your new non profit.  My friend is a lawyer and can get you set up for next to nothing, she just needs $500 to file the paperwork.  😁

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I found this forum tonight after a trip to the DR last week.  Wish I'd found it before my trip because you guys are hilarious, although a little harsh on fat American girls.  

I am 53 and do alright with guys at home despite a few extra pounds.  I normally do volunteer type vacations (Habitat, biological research) in Spanish speaking countries, but decided to take a regular vacation to Cabarete.  I ended up spending a good deal of time practicing Spanish with a young Haitian bartender.  He seemed an interesting guy, educated, speaks several languages and teaches French.  We talked history of the DR and Haiti, politics American and Caribbean, nothing romantic or sexual.  My last day there we did the friends on Facebook thing, no big deal as I was doing the same with several other guests I had befriended.

The day I get home I have a message hoping I got home alright.  A little odd to message so soon without much of a reason, but maybe he is just being nice.

The next day another message thread which becomes flirtatious.  I went along because it's kind of fun, but it was suddenly like speaking to someone entirely different than I had met.  A pretty obvious ploy, although what the end game is I'm not clear.  No requests for money or anything (yet).

I'm fascinated enough by this Sankie thing that I may just string it along and see what happens.  (No danger of me sending any money, I'm cheap and probably didn't even tip him adequately, lol).  Or maybe I'll tell him tomorrow that I've lost my job while on vacation and need help paying my rent. Scam the scammer.

It doesn't seem like the typical way, but maybe I didn't seem like a good prospect until after I left?  If he were really smart, he would have gone for some kind of "starting a non profit to help my people" scam.  That would have a much better chance with this bleeding heart liberal.

i am probably going to take a lashing for this, but if the guy is 24 years of age, and is a  physically attractive guy, ask yourself what he would have in mind for a woman twice his age, with a few extra pounds. you might be able to get your own answers without baring your soul to internet ragamuffins.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Nice comeback. I can see you've been watching Dr. Phil. Good for you. All I'm saying is that only because you are slightly interested.....that opens the door, and that's all that some of these people need. Close the door. Also, not all Sankies are Dominican or Haitian......there are men from many other countries living here.....and also, not all men are Sankies.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
i am probably going to take a lashing for this, but if the guy is 24 years of age, and is a  physically attractive guy, ask yourself what he would have in mind for a woman twice his age, with a few extra pounds. you might be able to get your own answers without baring your soul to internet ragamuffins.
Probably the same thing that a woman who is physically attractive, and seeking a man twice her age (with a few extra pounds), is looking for. Why discriminate? It works both ways. Especially in this generation of people not wanting to work or earn anything. Don't worry Gorgon....you're golden. I get deleted and banned.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
That was pretty much my point when I said it was an obvious ploy.  36, not 24, and not particularly attractive, but that's not enough of a difference to make it legit interest.  I've traveled a lot so the green card attempted romance is nothing new to me.  I only posted because I wondered if anyone else had seen this tactic or if he is just not very good at it.  I see he just friended another of the guests;  maybe he managed to miss that she is a lesbian.  Lol yeah he is bad at this.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
To the OP, live your life and enjoy it....but be careful. If you have to ask a question, you probably have the answer yourself. Go with your gut.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
That was pretty much my point when I said it was an obvious ploy.  36, not 24, but that's not enough of a difference to make it legit interest.  I've traveled a lot so the green card attempted romance is nothing new to me.  I only posted because I wondered if anyone else had seen this tactic or if he is just not very good at it.  I see he just friended another of the guests;  maybe he managed to miss that she is a lesbian.  Lol yeah he is bad at this.

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
If you´re not into yoga, if you have half a brain
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
I´m the love that you´ve looked for, write to me, and escape"
-Rupert Holmes

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I say go for it and have some fun with this guy.  As you say, you seem pretty wise to what the obvious motives might be.

I once had some similar fun when I was informed by a lawyer in Nigeria that a distant uncle tragically passed away leaving his entire mining empire fortune to me.  I think I got him to go to Western Union in Lagos at least six times with made up transfer numbers!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Probably the same thing that a woman who is physically attractive, and seeking a man twice her age (with a few extra pounds), is looking for. Why discriminate? It works both ways. Especially in this generation of people not wanting to work or earn anything. Don't worry Gorgon....you're golden. I get deleted and banned.

yeah..i am golden. i have been banned twice as often as any poster here.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't think this is atypical. He messaging too soon means nothing, that's common here. He will probabbly shower you with attention and wait 'till you're hooked before asking for money.

If you do alright with guys at home, then why bother?
You may start like Stella, but end up on a episode of Snapped.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
yeah..i am golden. i have been banned twice as often as any poster here.

@ G - I have a multiple page roster of infractions, I need one more, and I am printing them on a T-shirt with The dv8 logo.
@ OP - let him poke you a few times, and bring him a few new Polo chirts, you'll be fine, these stories are all the same, and never end well.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
@ G - I have a multiple page roster of infractions, I need one more, and I am printing them on a T-shirt with The dv8 logo.
@ OP - let him poke you a few times, and bring him a few new Polo chirts, you'll be fine, these stories are all the same, and never end well.

in many cases, they end well for the sankie. at least in the short to medium run.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You can do what I like to call the reverse sankie effect. Yes play up to him. Flirt with him. String him along for a while and then ask him to send you money. That will probably be the last you hear from him. Good luck.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Not much I can add to the advice of the various posters here. You sound like your intelligent and aware of the various male scams you encounter during your travels. String him along, have fun with it and bow out gracefully. You dont want to make an enemy if your thinking about visiting Cabarete again.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
I say go for it and have some fun with this guy.  As you say, you seem pretty wise to what the obvious motives might be.

I once had some similar fun when I was informed by a lawyer in Nigeria that a distant uncle tragically passed away leaving his entire mining empire fortune to me.  I think I got him to go to Western Union in Lagos at least six times with made up transfer numbers!

I love that!  I've read stories of people scamming the scammer but never knew anyone who had.  I guess it is a little mean to do to someone that impoverished that they feel the need to scam me this way, but I'm annoyed that after hours of intelligent conversation he thinks me stupid enough to fall for this.  So I think I will string it and see what he is going to ask for.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
I don't think this is atypical. He messaging too soon means nothing, that's common here. He will probabbly shower you with attention and wait 'till you're hooked before asking for money.

If you do alright with guys at home, then why bother?
You may start like Stella, but end up on a episode of Snapped.

Atypical only because he made no sexual or romantic overtures before I left the country.  It is kind of fun even if it is totally fake, and actually I have paid money in the past to practice Spanish via Skype and this I'm getting for free.  I am in no danger of sending money to anyone.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Seriously?  What kind of danger can I be in at this point?  He doesn't have my address or email or anything like that, even.....

Oh, and I would be happy to help with your new non profit.  My friend is a lawyer and can get you set up for next to nothing, she just needs $500 to file the paperwork.  ??????

I like your idea of telling him you lost your job and need rent money.............

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I think his affection is genuine and has no motive other then being enamored with your personality. I mean all young guys get tired of young slim chicas with firm round breasts, tight buttocks, long muscular supple legs, soft skin and flowing soft hair hanging down to their angular shoulders. Young guys get tired of that and long for good conversation that stimulates their mind. They want meaningful mental exchange and don't mind if the woman needs estrogen therapy to keep her from sweating and turning red. Doesn't even mind if people snicker at him because his date is clearly wearing grandma panties and when he sees her naked in the shower he involuntarily gags.

Status
Not open for further replies.