Travel to dominican republic with USA refugee travel document, no green card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladlenamo

Jan 24, 2017
Hello, I'm wondering if I can travel with usa refugee travel document to dominican republic. I don't have a green card, but I have my I 94. I know I can not use the passport from my country. So can I travel or not?
Thanks everyone in advance.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Hello, I'm wondering if I can travel with usa refugee travel document to dominican republic. I don't have a green card, but I have my I 94. I know I can not use the passport from my country. So can I travel or not?

Good question. I don't know, but there is also a legal forum which is monitored by a well respected lawyer from the Dominican Republic.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It should be easy to find out. Call the airline and ask if they will let you on the plane with no passport. Next, call US immigration and ask them if as a refugee, you leave the country, will they let you back in. Then call the Dominican Embassy nearest you and ask them the same question. 

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

You're asking for trouble. I'd recommend caution. Just leaving the country(usa) says that you have other options.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Getting into the DR probably won't be a problem, however getting back into the USA might be.

CNSIERRA

Apr 11, 2016
GringoRubio has a valid point. Refugee people are allowed in a country because they cannot go to another country. So same advice. Get your paper in order first and then plan about traveling abroad.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
GringoRubio has a valid point. Refugee people are allowed in a country because they cannot go to another country. So same advice. Get your paper in order first and then plan about traveling abroad.

Refugee are allowed in a country because they are persecuted/unsafe in their HOME country, hence seek refuge from persecution/war. It is traveling to their home country which wouldn't make sense.

From USCIS : A person with refugee or asylum status who wishes to travel
outside the United States needs a Refugee Travel Document in order
to return to the United States.In most cases, a refugee or asylee may use the Refugee Travel
Document for travel in place of a passport. The Refugee Travel Document is similar in appearance to a U.S. passport.

You should double check with the DR embassy and an US immigration lawyer, but given that the travel document is delivered by the US and is used in place of passport, it is likely that you can travel to DR.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/D4en.pdf

Good luck and have a nice trip (hopefully!)

Last edited:

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Except for Cuban refugees who regularly return home for vacation. That's how Elian Gonzalez's extended family knew him.  They met him while vacationing in the country they left as desperate refugees. 

Feb 7, 2007
Well no... refugees that are awaiting asylum cannot just roam EU and go from Germany to Canary islands on vacation and then back to Germany or Sweden for handouts (well...wait...as the current situation looks like the politicians actually might let them do that ... sigh). Anyway. Unless you have asylum you only have refugee status and you are supposed to seek safe haven in the first safe country (not the safe country of your choice). If your asylum application is under review, you are not supposed to leave the country where the application for asylum is being processed. If you are granted permanent asylum, you get residency (e.g. green card in USA) and you can then travel freely. If your petition is approved for temporary asylum you probably could travel, depending on whether you will be let into destination country (in this case DR) and then back to USA. If your application is pending and no asylum status has been granted yet, you are not supposed to leave or else you basically nullify your application.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Now that the insane clown president has weighed in on this issue I would expect that it shouldn't matter to a refugee what the Dominican Republic's stance is on this type of travel. It appears that those that have cautioned not to leave the US unless you want to leave for good were advising well, especially if you were born in the seven countries.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Now that the insane clown president has weighed in on this issue I would expect that it shouldn't matter to a refugee what the Dominican Republic's stance is on this type of travel. It appears that those that have cautioned not to leave the US unless you want to leave for good were advising well, especially if you were born in the seven countries.

Please keep your political views to yourself. You already ruined another thread.

to the OP, you should look into the new executive order from President Trump and see if it affects you. Good luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Refugee are allowed in a country because they are persecuted/unsafe in their HOME country, hence seek refuge from persecution/war. It is traveling to their home country which wouldn't make sense.

From USCIS : A person with refugee or asylum status who wishes to travel
outside the United States needs a Refugee Travel Document in order
to return to the United States.In most cases, a refugee or asylee may use the Refugee Travel
Document for travel in place of a passport. The Refugee Travel Document is similar in appearance to a U.S. passport.

You should double check with the DR embassy and an US immigration lawyer, but given that the travel document is delivered by the US and is used in place of passport, it is likely that you can travel to DR.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/D4en.pdf

Good luck and have a nice trip (hopefully!)

Good advice, it's unlikely anyone here can offer legal advice, you need a US immigration attorney

Best of luck

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.