Travel changes from/to the DR.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
A thread was started but quickly closed. I think that it should re-open with some actual thought and real changes in our lives.

My wife has to go to Europe from the D.R. next week. She does this often with no problems going AA from POP via Miami/Heathrow to get to her destination. She get lots of air miles and upgrades even though this is a long schedule.

She just returned from the U.S. back to the D.R. She has that express customs thing and never had a problem. This time returning while in Miami was taken aside and asked several questions. "Why so many trips to the Dominican Republic?" being one question asked several times with the answer being.... that's where I live. I travel for business. Etc. It was not the Spanish Inquisition and did not really hit her until we watched the news and talked about it.

Going back to her next trip to Europe? AirBerlin has a flight from POP and is an AA partner. Not as nice but gets their sooner and not having to worry about what changes might happen in the U.S.

Our trip to Cuba is still in the works. The Cuban airline out of SDQ is... the planes are scary vintage Russian. So we figured that AA from POP to Mia. to Havana. Cost more and more time but not white knuckle. That's changing too. We rather be white knuckled on the old Russian flight then go via Miami.

As we talk to others in our field of work, they too are working go a-rounds if possible. And we know a lot of people that travel.

Travel changes from/to the DR? Absolutely avoiding the chaos at any/all U.S. airports until things get sorted out. (and then changed again.)

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
If you have nothing to worry about, you have nothing to worry about. She's probably being asked the questions because the DR is known as a major hub for drug shipments entering the US and Europe. I am not implying that she is involved in this activity, nor who is or right or wrong, but I can guarantee that is the basis for the questions being asked of her. Before I lived here, I traveled here frequently (every 6 weeks, for 4 years), and I was asked the questions then, and still am now. It's basic questioning, not interrogations. I've actually been asked on this end (Los Americas) as well. No harm, no foul, and nothing to do with recent business abroad.....unless a member of a listed nation.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Burka? Stupid.
If she is from one of the 7 Trump Countries she has a big problem, otherwise not. Take the Air Berlin as she'll get some miles from AA

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Burka? Stupid.
If she is from one of the 7 Trump Countries she has a big problem, otherwise not. Take the Air Berlin as she'll get some miles from AA

There is no reason for anyone traveling to/from U.S. - D.R. to be concerned. The agents always have the freedom to ask extra questions. My ex-Colombian always got extra questions when returning to Miami from Barranquilla.

Just for the record the 7 countries were first designated most dangerous by the Obama administration and then confirmed by the congress. Personally I'd add Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Quatar to the list.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The man doing the executive orders said it would.(MOnths ago) He cannot start there apparently, but has to ease into it. I wouldn't go to a Muslim country that has stated that Christians aren't wanted (even though I ain't one) and I, if I were a practicing Muslim would be trying for a work around as also has been mentioned.
Der Fish

There are 16 Muslim countries that officially ban Israelis passport holders from their countries. This is only a temporary ban until the vetting system is strengthened and perhaps an assessment of what really constitutes a refugee. Dominican traveller have no worries that they didn't already have. My wife's cousin just arrived in NYC yesterday on his first trip out of the DR and had no issues aT ALL.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I think crossing US border will get significantly worse for most passport holders, - that was just one executive order, there will be more to follow. It will be harder to get US visas, and there will be much longer conversations on the border. They are hiring thousands more immigration agents and are giving them way more leeway in their decisions - this looks like a beginning of a new trend to me, and not a one off case for the 7 countries. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I think crossing US border will get significantly worse for most passport holders, - that was just one executive order, there will be more to follow. It will be harder to get US visas, and there will be much longer conversations on the border. They are hiring thousands more immigration agents and are giving them way more leeway in their decisions - this looks like a beginning of a new trend to me, and not a one off case for the 7 countries. 
High time.....or as said here in the DR....Por fin!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
A thread was started but quickly closed. I think that it should re-open with some actual thought and real changes in our lives.

My wife has to go to Europe from the D.R. next week. She does this often with no problems going AA from POP via Miami/Heathrow to get to her destination. She get lots of air miles and upgrades even though this is a long schedule.

She just returned from the U.S. back to the D.R. She has that express customs thing and never had a problem. This time returning while in Miami was taken aside and asked several questions. "Why so many trips to the Dominican Republic?" being one question asked several times with the answer being.... that's where I live. I travel for business. Etc. It was not the Spanish Inquisition and did not really hit her until we watched the news and talked about it.

Going back to her next trip to Europe? AirBerlin has a flight from POP and is an AA partner. Not as nice but gets their sooner and not having to worry about what changes might happen in the U.S.

Our trip to Cuba is still in the works. The Cuban airline out of SDQ is... the planes are scary vintage Russian. So we figured that AA from POP to Mia. to Havana. Cost more and more time but not white knuckle. That's changing too. We rather be white knuckled on the old Russian flight then go via Miami.

As we talk to others in our field of work, they too are working go a-rounds if possible. And we know a lot of people that travel.

Travel changes from/to the DR? Absolutely avoiding the chaos at any/all U.S. airports until things get sorted out. (and then changed again.)

I think your wife will be ok. A coincidence she was screened a bit more. I would never mind additional questions as this means they are trying to do their job.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004

I know frequent travellers to Canada and the US are often questioned the same way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know frequent travellers to Canada and the US are often questioned the same way.

I ahve been questioned the same way.... too many DR trips -- Why?
My Cdn passport is almost solely RD stamps.

I show them my residency card -- over with !!

The US asks me a lot of questions... having lived there for 15+ yrs..... no longer.
In fact, I was denied entry recently when they thought I was sneaking back in.

Sneaking back !!??? I countered.
I forfeited a green Card and later a visa to leave. !!!

Not acceptable --- turned back.

More questioning is a good thing......tightens the borders..... fire away boys,.
I have nothing to hide

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There was a time recently when if a border official (cdn or American) saw a stamp from a 'suspect country',
they sent that person to secondary....... as a matter of routine.

Why were you there?
What did you do there?
Etc

Just good border patrol, IMO.... screening

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It has been clear that all travelers have faced increased scrutiny for years. Some more than others. All passengers on flights over the US even if they do not land in that country are screened by US officials. I would not be surprised if by now the US has the name of every passenger on every flight anywhere. Going forward, those with US visas and green cards who choose to travel to countries deemed unfriendly to the US can expect demands to account for their movements on their way to and from these countries.

As a result Dominicans who have always been looked at carefully, will see these efforts continue. Other nationalities arriving in the US from from RD will see the same. Anyone who originally comes from a country that makes "the list" will have to choose if travelling is worth the risk, the hassle and the uncertainty. Many who do not absolutely have to step foot in the US may exercise prudence and will choose travel options that bypass that morass even if it costs a little more or takes a little longer.

If I wish to subject myself to snarky comments, rude attitudes and invasive questions before being told that I can't do something, I have lots of opportunities to do that right here in the DR - the US is just catching up.

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I don't believe it will affect most people going to the USA from the DR, if they are going legally and have proper paperwork. Not much will change for Dominicans. I can see green cards becoming harder to get though. I think for those of us that travel back and forth to the DR will see little change. I was grilled pretty good at JFK when we went to visit relatives. Agent was friendly but thorough, and professional. I have no issues with this type of procedure. Anyone else use the VIP service at Las Americas. Works like a dream for going through customs, both coming and going.

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I see absolutely nothing to support your theory regarding passport holders from say Europe or Latin America. So, it isn't effecting the D.R. now and I don't see where it will in the future. If you have something fact based please post it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Take it easy

I have a Euro passport, live in the US. Frequent trips to DR, don't look very good because of Drugs.
I was only "questioned" once, not an issue as I have stamps from many other countries.
I avoid connection in Miami because I always heard, it is long and messy , it shouldn't get any better.

I have no worries, so you shouldn't (And I am originally from a Muslim country :cool:)

Now, I am may reconsider my trip to Cuba though for other reasons :nervous:

Last edited:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Thank you everyone for your input and points of view. I found most very interesting with different views from different countries.

It's not just the extra 5 minutes of being pulled aside. It's that moment of "fear" that grips you when you are. As someone pointed out we just don't know what the changes will be tomorrow. Having a layover requiring to leave the airport and then return the next day with all the confusion she/we are opting to not go via the U.S. if we have other choices.

Remember.. the Dominican Republic is our home. But we have work that requires travel several times a year outside the D.R. and travel all over.

I hope to hear from those that are traveling; D.R. related get real time experience.

Ty.