Cotui Info

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I'm posting this thread within this forum because I'm really not sure if the area in question falls under the NorthEast or Central regions. It's really not that clear cut when looking at a map of the DR.
In a few weeks I have some business to attend to in Cotui. I may be there for 2 or 3 nights. Can anybody recommend lodging, dining, and/or socializing activities there? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
On the road to the lake there was a Hotel Rancho ......... something. Looked the a good option. Been a few years so memory foggy. Other than the lake, it's a normal DR town. We went to a disco or two. Fish carry out restaurant near the lake.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Remembering about 5 or so years ago I went to Cotui with 2 of my peeps, all 3 over 6 feet big men. On Rte. 17 we got a flat a few miles from Cotui, it was very dark, not a light in any home (no power?) and we were a few hour late due to one of the guys flights. The other 2 of us went to a colmado in BC and had a Barceló waiting time.
So we're fixing the flat and a huge truck stops, 5 guys get out. So one of my boys has a lug nut wrench, I'm holding a jack handle and the third is behind the car talking to himself in Barceloees. 5 chicos get out of the truck and walk towards us. I tell them thanks for stopping and we don't need any help. They look around a little and leave. Didn't like the odds. When we stopped at the first bar in town a Policia tells us these guys are known Ladrones. True story.

So my point is don't go around there in Cotui at night. Especially on a back road.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I ate at a decent restaurant by the dam (I think it was a dam). I stayed in a cabana. I'll ask my friend who lives there to see if she has any suggestions and pm you.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies so far. Let me add that I'm under no illusion that it is a tourist town. I know it's not. Again, it's strictly for business. I've spent my share of nights in many "typical" Dominican towns, where a shower head and a helicoptero (ceiling fan) may be a lot to ask for....soap and TP I bring with me.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
On the road to the lake there was a Hotel Rancho ......... something. Looked the a good option. Been a few years so memory foggy. Other than the lake, it's a normal DR town. We went to a disco or two. Fish carry out restaurant near the lake.

Is the lake itself worth seeing/swimmable, or is it a polluted mess? And no, I'm not being a smarta**.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is a hotel/hostal in Cotui, Maria Yobon. It looks good from the outside (we go through Cotui to get to my in-laws). The restaurant by the dam (presa) is called El Muro. The dam (presa) is worth seeing, they have a boat that goes across. I do not think swimming in it would be a good idea. Not much else in Cotui that I see.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
We did swim in the Lake, an area of parking and beach. Enjoyable. Been a few years but doubt that has changed.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm from Cotui. No it's not a tourist town, just a typical Dominican town. Depending on what you're doing the Maria Yobon hostal may be your best option...or you can also stay in a cabana if you don't mind that kind of lodging (Cabanas 809 are relatively new).

There are plenty of places to eat including some restaurants. Nothing really fancy though. The lake is the largest in the Caribbean and it's cool for an afternoon visit. I wouldn't swim there nowadays, because despite what the deniers in here want to say it is being polluted by Barrick Gold's mining operations. Restaurant Rancho del Lago has nice views, but it's a bit run down nowadays. Still an OK option. Send me an email if I can help with anything.