Punta Cana Rental.

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
Can anyone recommend a specific car rental agency in Punta Cana. I would like a fair price, with safe vehicles, and preferably not be forced to buy the most expensive insurance. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Budget gets my vote.  I would recommend paying with a card that has all the insurances on it. From experience RBC Avion, Am Ex platinum and similar cards carry all these insurances. Good luck and happy motoring. 

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I always check Kayak and see who has the best deals.  I would call your Credit card and see if they cover anything if you rent a car in the Dominican. 

Do you want a really small car , small car , SUV? You will pay more for a SUV.  You do have to watch out for it saying this car or similar ? What they consider similar could be different then what you consider similar.   I have like the different Hyundai and Kia cars I have rented.     

Sometimes an agency away from the airport is cheaper and they might let you pick it up from the airport. 

Simon Cosman

Dec 28, 2016
Thanks. It seems like Hertz may be the cheapest. I know my credit card provides coverage. I want a small car.

I did an online search on Budget and the quote was a lot lower at the airport location even with the extra airport location fee. That was just one though, I should check others.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The CC insurance may not be honored at all rental places. Double check that the cc insurance is international, and stick to the big-names in car rental.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
I have used National/ Alamo for the past 6 years. First through booking on line, now I deal directly with the office here in Punta Cana.Their insurance is standard. For a short term your credit card coverage and Third party insurance will be ok. Longer terms - talk to them. They have gotten new cars in the past month.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The CC insurance may not be honored at all rental places. Double check that the cc insurance is international, and stick to the big-names in car rental.

You are right. I depends on what company you are dealing with and if it is a franchise location, which can make up their own requirements, when it comes to insurance. Either way get the optional insurance. That is your best bet while driving in the DR.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think with smalller cars it is an option. With more expensive cars they include the insurance.    At least at AVIS one time I rented an SUV for around $50 a day and she said the insurance was all included on that vehicle.   Normally I rent cars for less and the insurance is an option.  

May 20, 2012
Budget gets my vote.  I would recommend paying with a card that has all the insurances on it. From experience RBC Avion, Am Ex platinum and similar cards carry all these insurances. Good luck and happy motoring. 

Check with your credit card company though...my Visa EXCLUDES the DR.

porkyfish

Feb 2, 2017
I rented from Budget at the airport, used my visa and insisted I was covered by it when the insurance doubled the quoted price. Ended up placing a $1000 hold on that Visa, and off i went with no in house insurance, thinking i was "covered" by my card. I guess i should double check with Visa about DR and not assume :)
Cant drive a little car without scraping up the bottom, and i was a little nervous returning it. But when i returned the car at the airport, the guy taking the car was very relax, said no issues, all $1000 hold was returned... I tipped the guy extra when he dropped me off at the terminal, he seemed surprised by it :)