Cigars

New Guy

Feb 28, 2002
I am leaving for Puerto Plata in three days. I will be staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. First trip to the D.R. I love Dominican cigars, and would like to know the best place to buy them. Any comments on the resort or suggestions on what to do ( I am going by myself) would also be welcome. I have been watching this board for a few days now and I find it both amusing and informative. Thank you.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
If I were you...

I would take a side trip to Santiago and visit the La Aurora factory. This can be done on most weekdays. There you can obtain the freshest cigars possible. Also there are many boutique tobacco factories alog the road to Santiago. You may want to check them out also and have a cigar experience so to speak. Do not buy anything on the beach or in touristy shops. There you are sure to get crap

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you will email me, perhaps I can help you get some very good cigars.

The tour to the La Aurora factory is, indeed, quite nice.

You can get a bus right there in Puerto Plata, about a ten peso bus ride from the front of your hotel away. Just ask the driver to let you off at the Metro Station. Once in Santiago, you are within walking distance of some nice shops and we can have a beer.

HB

New Guy

Feb 28, 2002
Hillbilly:

Thanks. I gather you are the cigar expert around here. I was unaware you live in the DR. Very cool! How far are you from Puerto Plata? I'd be honored to have a beer or two with you and go cigar shopping.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: If I were you...

Mcinbrass said:
I would take a side trip to Santiago and visit the La Aurora factory. This can be done on most weekdays. There you can obtain the freshest cigars possible. Also there are many boutique tobacco factories alog the road to Santiago. You may want to check them out also and have a cigar experience so to speak. Do not buy anything on the beach or in touristy shops. There you are sure to get crap

One of the great misconceptions people have about Cigars is the Fresher is better! Premium Cigars are like wine. they need to be aged under proper conditions(a Quality Humidor). Cigars fresh out of the factory are to "green"(Not the color). Some of my best cigars have over 20 years in one of my Humidors. Aurora's quality has slipped over the past few years. They still make a good cigar but they are not like the ones they made in the 80's before the big Cigar boom.
But when it comes down to it, it is all a matter of taste. Smoke what you like.

Tony C.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All I can add is that tony is pretty accurate.

There is an attraction with a cigar fresh off the table. Howevr, a cigar that has been aged for a few years is considered by most aficionados to be the better of the two.

One of my great discoveries was a package of Pliades Maduros made by Matasa, that had been hidden away in a corner of the ageing room for a couple of years. They are some of the best smokes ever, IMB. they are now over 6 years old and doing fine.

I will repeat my offer to assist you, if you so desire. the fraternity of cigar buffs watches out for its own...

HB

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I too am aware...

...that a great cigar need time to age just like a fine wine. I was merely trying to alert him to the mutitude of crap being sold on the beach and in tourist shops all throughout DR. Even the cigars sold in Supermercados are suspect as far as the condition they are stored. We recently had a poster complain that he bought a box of "Dry Cigars" at supermercado nacional. The best bet as far as im concerned when visiting DR is to buy from a factory and control the aging process yourself. I seriously doubt the type of cigar you mention is available in the Dominican Republic.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Question about Davidoff's

HB - I heard a rumor that if you buy a Davidoff in the DR, then it is a fake, as they are all earmarked for export.

Sounds suspect to me...?

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I "think" that there is a sort of family arrangement. See, Sandra Kelner is sister to henke kelner the maker of Davidoff cigars. I do, however, believe that these cigars pay taxes before leaving the Free Zone and that they are - for the most part- legit cigars.This is based on the idea that her brother giver her genuine product to sell.

Now, this is not to say that there are not a lot of Davidoff fakes out there.

I say, if you want good cigars, come see me! Costs nothing and you might learn something. At least i can steer you in the right direction!

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
New Guy, definatley take HB up on the offer. Took a day trip to Santiago last month and spent a bit of time with the man, probably the most informative day I've ever had in many trips to DR.

jo2na

Feb 24, 2002
hillbilly

wow!!! hillbilly, i did'nt know you lived in dr!! what part?? are you in school/work?? can you tell me some information on hotel clerks in the dr?? yearly earnings, etc. im getting out of high school ,and dont know exactly what to do. what do you suggest? should i stay here in new jersey, or go up there??

Joe Boone

Feb 23, 2002
Fake Davidoffs

Regarding the discussion about Fake Davidoffs, the best examples of fakes, or the poorest examples of the real thing can be found in the Duty Free at the Cibao International Airport in Santiago. The rings are obviously made on a copy machine, and the box is even worse. Yes, there are a lot of Fake Davidoff Cigars in the DR (in my opinion, the majority), and the real ones will not be cheap, and can be found in some of the better Cigar Shops, in the Capital. I just returned home after 3 months in the DR and as always, discovered a few new sources for Cigars. My latest finds were a Tamboril factory called "El Artista", and Juan Clemente Cigars in Santiago. Comments Please.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well Joe, the "Artista"makes a pretty poor cigar, IMO and Clemente has made some very good cigars. The Artista was originally a tobacco wholesaler that started to make cigars during the boom-like everyone else in Tamboril. He was a jobber. Nowadays, he makes a few cigars for local consumption. Juan Clemente, if memory serves, was a french guy that started during the boom, had some success but is not doing that much. I think his cigars used to have a gokd band around the foot...
Most of these stocks were sold out to major US players at very deep discounts..

Next time you get here, send me an e-mail so we can explore some more places, perhaps some of the top of the line places...

HB