Page 134 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1717

Thread: Gringo Round Up in Sosua ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just make Sosua a sanctuary city so all us undocumented tourists can get health care and food stamps.....

2. Dislikes alexw disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always walked around with just a driver's license and an ai wrist band, never even thought of being asked for more than that. What would be safe to walk around with next time i come for vacation? I only wonder around the puerto plata city and malecon.

a reg. user 99.99% time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billma90 View Post
    What would be safe to walk around with next time i come for vacation?
    When you get here next time, go to a copy shop and get a color copy of your passport info page, your immigration entry stamp and a copy of your return flight info to carry around. If a situation arises where the authorities need to see the original documents, you can make arrangements to produce them at the time. 

A foreign driver's license is not on the list of acceptable identification for a foreigner in this country. 

5. Likes sabra liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A great business idea for someone to set up shop at the airport.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So far this new office seems to be about encouraging foreigners to renew or apply for residency, how do they help tourists that want to stay over 30 days or already in DR for over 30 days... !? What help if anything can they give to these visitors - except to say, go and pay the fee on your exit, same as before... !

I thought that was the real original issue - not everyone is eligible or wish to be a resident here (this is so hard to get through), I don't see any progress on that - offering new visa type or extending current visas...

8. Likes retiree liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    When you get here next time, go to a copy shop and get a color copy of your passport info page, your immigration entry stamp and a copy of your return flight info to carry around. If a situation arises where the authorities need to see the original documents, you can make arrangements to produce them at the time. 

A foreign driver's license is not on the list of acceptable identification for a foreigner in this country. 
    I always bring copies of my passport with me in case I need it for id in renting a vehicle or in other instances. I really don't think the intention of the DR gov is to check documents of tourists wondering around Sosua or anywhere else in the DR. On the other hand if you look for trouble in the DR it will certainly find you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    So far this new office seems to be about encouraging foreigners to renew or apply for residency, how do they help tourists that want to stay over 30 days or already in DR for over 30 days... !? What help if anything can they give to these visitors - except to say, go and pay the fee on your exit, same as before... !

I thought that was the real original issue - not everyone is eligible or wish to be a resident here (this is so hard to get through), I don't see any progress on that - offering new visa type or extending current visas...
    Migracion is more concerned with getting long term people living here to get legal. Get their residency. They are not concerned with snowbirds. They have a system in place now whereby we pay our exit fee at the airport. It works well. If we stay 3 months, get a visa or whatever when we are here or before we arrive, how do they know we will leave at the right time? The way it is now they know exactly when we leave and that is the time we pay.

11. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Making copies of pasport in motherland country only works for rentals... you have to show entry stamp date also... or NFG

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post

You point out exactly what is still missing. A snow bird 6 month visa.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    Migracion is more concerned with getting long term people living here to get legal. Get their residency. They are not concerned with snowbirds. They have a system in place now whereby we pay our exit fee at the airport. It works well. If we stay 3 months, get a visa or whatever when we are here or before we arrive, how do they know we will leave at the right time? The way it is now they know exactly when we leave and that is the time we pay.

Then by your logic the government also has to allow Haitians without DR Residency or DR Regularized status to stay in the DR until they choose to leave and pay the exit fee.

15. Likes JDJones liked this post