Page 149 of 171 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1703

Thread: Gringo Round Up in Sosua ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    AMAZING idea, so you'll be charged 2X the gringo price on any goods and services in paradise, why didn't I think of this?
    At least you won't be kidnapped.
    What's the down side of being kidnapped? You wake up in Boca Chica with a couple of gals while your puppy's being babysat?

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

this part of the discussion will need to continue in private messages, thanks.
    North Coast Moderator

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Sound wisdom. However if you don't wear a wrist band you won't be hassled by every shmoe shlepping bobbles and trinkets plus migracion won't even look your way, EVER, regardless of wrist band. Anyway, whatever floats your boat.

Fair point... I am hoping this is not an issue.

The dozen places I frequent, all know me by name.

When I walk down the Beach the Vendors ignore me (they recognize me). The big exception is when my Son arrives (in all his Canadian Winter Whiteness) in which case EVERY vendor pesters us.

Unlike the AI resorts, I do not intend to put the wristband on very tight. Easy to slip off if required.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    4,966 people from 12 countries were deported from the DR in May, 2017.
    And how many were from overstaying their tourist visa and only for that infraction?

5. Likes Polar Bear, CristoRey, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    No one is saying there is going to be a big round-up of gringo expats. I think the point that is trying to be made is that it can happen. At any given time the DR government can say no more overstay fees either get legal or chance being deported. The problem is you never know. Laws are laws and some abide by them some don't. With the option of paying a overstay fee I can see where some do not take the legal (residency) process seriously. Is the DR using scare tactics by publishing the deportation numbers (correct or not), possibly. As I stated in a previous post I truly believe in the near future there will be some changes. Getting legal residency is a requirement in order to live here as a expat regardless of what work around is in place presently.
    Yes of course anything can happen. Spain could attack and reconquer the island front to back. Who knows? Anything could happen!
    Der Fish

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Yes, I would guess.
    Moreover, I would say that 90% or more, of the remaining 10% of deportees that are not haitian, were probably either wanted back home, or criminal elements.
    Plus, I could imagine that a good chunk of the haitian deportees hopped right back over the border into the dr ( aganst all odds, of course, slipping past the network of drones, hords of border patrols, dr hawkeyes vetctoring in the elite of the dr interceptors, canine units, and whatnot...... ).

What I cant wrap my head round, is why you guys seem to think being legal ( as in residency or even citizenship ) is any safer than paying the overstay fees ?  ( only talking about propety, investments...... and not driving around all day or working 7 shifts a day ).
    The way I see it, the more you own in the dr, the more likely you are to be  thrown out so they can carve up your possessions, when ( not if ) the sh.it hits the fan.
    From what I remember, you're right. I think over 90% were Haitian and about half of those were caught illegally crossing the border and sent back.

I don't agree about those with citizenship or residency though, unless the DR becomes another communist Cuba. Citizens cannot be deported. Residents have a lot more rights than illegal foreigners and there are only specific crimes for whcih a resident can be deported. Serious crimes will land you in jail and then you will be deported. Minor infractions will probaby just get you fined, You can't just be deported on a whim, whereas those here illegally don't have a leg to stand on.

8. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Yes. one country was Haiti, but there were 11 others. The Dominican Migracion website says efforts to deport people illegally in the country are being stepped up. Here is a google translation that shows how the numbers in May were up from those in April with almost 10,000 deported in 2 months:

The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported that during the month of May were repatriated 4,966 citizens from 12 countries, who were illegally in the country. The institution notes in a press release that during the last few months it has increased its immigration interdiction operations throughout the national geography, reflecting according to statistical data a progressive tendency to increase in deportations.

According to the agency led by Lt. Gen. Máximo William Muñoz Delgado , on this occasion returnees from Armenia, Canada, China, Colombia, Spain, Greece, Haiti, India , Italy , Panama, Peru, and Venezuela , they were arrested in recent weeks, surpassing the number of deportations in April, when they were repatriated 4,787 foreigners.
    Of the 4, 966 how many plane tickets do you think the DR government had to purchase? Ya right like they would even invest in that. Any that needed a flight were probably wanted in their home country for something. I know it kills you but the DR government simply is not deporting people that do not have your precious residency. Nobody likes a preacher by the way.

10. Likes CristoRey, Garyexpat, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markryan View Post
    Of the 4, 966 how many plane tickets do you think the DR government had to purchase? Ya right like they would even invest in that. Any that needed a flight were probably wanted in their home country for something. I know it kills you but the DR government simply is not deporting people that do not have your precious residency. Nobody likes a preacher by the way.
    Not totally true, but most of the non-Haitians that have been deported were probably caught working here illegally. Some were probably involved in some violation of the law which was what got them caught. Maybe an immigration check point "redada"(?).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Not totally true, but most of the non-Haitians that have been deported were probably caught working here illegally. Some were probably involved in some violation of the law which was what got them caught. Maybe an immigration check point "redada"(?).
    ANd most of them were probably picking their nose when confronted with immigration officers. Any body can invent stuff. It has no bearing on reality.
    Der Fish

13. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    ANd most of them were probably picking their nose when confronted with immigration officers. Any body can invent stuff. It has no bearing on reality.
    Der Fish
    What's so hard to believe about some illegal foreigners getting deported? Take a look at the list. If I remember right, there was one Canadian deported. Only a couple European countries are lisited, and none from the US. There have been numerous news articles about foreigners from those other countries entering illeglly, working here illegally, and being deported.