Page 148 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1720

Thread: Gringo Round Up in Sosua ?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

No one is saying there is going to be a big round-up of gringo expats. I think the point that is trying to be made is that it can happen. At any given time the DR government can say no more overstay fees either get legal or chance being deported. The problem is you never know. Laws are laws and some abide by them some don't. With the option of paying a overstay fee I can see where some do not take the legal (residency) process seriously. Is the DR using scare tactics by publishing the deportation numbers (correct or not), possibly. As I stated in a previous post I truly believe in the near future there will be some changes. Getting legal residency is a requirement in order to live here as a expat regardless of what work around is in place presently.

2. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the numbers published on the migration.gov.do website are correct and are not scare tactics. The problem is they don't give a break down of the deportees on the website for obvious reasons.

I can't find the articles now, but I read of these deportations on one or two other Dominican news websites. I can't remember the exact break down, but the overwhelming majority of those deported were Haitians.

4. Likes Uzin, windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I believe that the numbers published on the migration.gov.do website are correct and are not scare tactics. The problem is they don't give a break down of the deportees on the website for obvious reasons.

I can't find the articles now, but I read of these deportations on one or two other Dominican news websites. I can't remember the exact break down, but the overwhelming majority of those deported were Haitians.
    Yes, I would guess.
    Moreover, I would say that 90% or more, of the remaining 10% of deportees that are not haitian, were probably either wanted back home, or criminal elements.
    Plus, I could imagine that a good chunk of the haitian deportees hopped right back over the border into the dr ( aganst all odds, of course, slipping past the network of drones, hords of border patrols, dr hawkeyes vetctoring in the elite of the dr interceptors, canine units, and whatnot...... ).

What I cant wrap my head round, is why you guys seem to think being legal ( as in residency or even citizenship ) is any safer than paying the overstay fees ?  ( only talking about propety, investments...... and not driving around all day or working 7 shifts a day ).
    The way I see it, the more you own in the dr, the more likely you are to be  thrown out so they can carve up your possessions, when ( not if ) the sh.it hits the fan.

6. Likes joe, Garyexpat liked this post
    Dislikes Kipling333, windeguy disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Yes, I would guess.
    Moreover, I would say that 90% or more, of the remaining 10% of deportees that are not haitian, were probably either wanted back home, or criminal elements.
    Plus, I could imagine that a good chunk of the haitian deportees hopped right back over the border into the dr ( aganst all odds, of course, slipping past the network of drones, hords of border patrols, dr hawkeyes vetctoring in the elite of the dr interceptors, canine units, and whatnot...... ).

What I cant wrap my head round, is why you guys seem to think being legal ( as in residency or even citizenship ) is any safer than paying the overstay fees ?  ( only talking about propety, investments...... and not driving around all day or working 7 shifts a day ).
    The way I see it, the more you own in the dr, the more likely you are to be  thrown out so they can carve up your possessions, when ( not if ) the sh.it hits the fan.
    Can you link us to legal non-criminal residents who were arbitrarily thrown out and their assets redistributed?

8. Likes cbmitch9, Garyexpat, windeguy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Those stats mean next to nothing to most here, assuming that one was naive enough to believe them in the first place.

At best they are too vague and at worst....well....stats. You can twist them to back up almost any view.

Unless you are visibly working....owning a small business or bar or store and/or can be seen working the chances of you being questioned or actually arrested and deported are still about nil. Unless of course you're easily mistaken for one of the targeted minority groups.

I've never even been questioned nor has anyone I know that did not fit in as I've described and I don't anticipate ever having an issue.

As others have said if and when I do I'll get legal...or more on or whatever
    Speaking of "legal", rumor has it you're the former Apostropheman, aka D'arcy the Canuckian Fraudster.

Is that true?

Because if it is, you certainly have been "questioned" by the authorities...

10. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This ought to be good.

The silence is deafening.
    Last edited by joe; 06-19-2017 at 07:49 AM.

12. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a Snowbird and my solution for this Winter is simple.
    I have ordered on eBay, 50 Neon Wristbands with Casa Marina printed on them.
    I (we) have no intention of going into Casa Marina.

I believe that (even) DR Immigration Officers can understand.... Don't arrest the AI Guests.

So... if the Goon Squad returns, picking up Gringos with an expired 30 Visas.... I'm ready.

I will don my “Wristband of Invisibility” and bravely walk the streets of Sosua.

14. Likes Uzin, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aname4me View Post

I believe that (even) DR Immigration Officers can understand.... Don't arrest the AI Guests.

So... if the Goon Squad returns, picking up Gringos with an expired 30 Visas.... I'm ready.

I will don my “Wristband of Invisibility” and bravely walk the streets of Sosua.
    Sound wisdom. However if you don't wear a wrist band you won't be hassled by every shmoe shlepping bobbles and trinkets plus migracion won't even look your way, EVER, regardless of wrist band. Anyway, whatever floats your boat.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they'll work for the Grand Buffet...

17. Likes Buzzard liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

AMAZING idea, so you'll be charged 2X the gringo price on any goods and services in paradise, why didn't I think of this?
    At least you won't be kidnapped.

19. Likes cbmitch9, Derfish liked this post