Beekeeping in the DR

Sam1981

Jan 1, 2017
I'm a commercial beekeeper who will be visiting the country. I am wondering if there is much honey produced in the DR or if there are any significant outfits I could visit. I can't find much info online.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm a commercial beekeeper who will be visiting the country. I am wondering if there is much honey produced in the DR or if there are any significant outfits I could visit. I can't find much info online.

Matilda?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I don't know about commercial places, but in the D.R. you will see signs on individual homes advertising local honey (miel) for sale.

Plus Dominicans can often tell you who is selling local honey (miel).

The supermercados have a few local brands on their shelves.
The manufacturers locations and phone numbers are usually on the labels.

One local brand from Santo Domingo:
20iz0o5.jpg

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Look up the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation. They have a small setup but produce enough to supply a supermarket and gift shops.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Lots of beekeepers on what is called La Linea - the road which goes from Santiago to Monte Cristi in the northwest corner of the island. Most of them are small scale, but there is a growing boom in the keeping of bees and making honey.

There is a Dominican beekeepers association - http://apidom.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ApiculturaDominicana/
http://www.cedaf.org.do/eventos/FEDECCAPI2015/memoria/ponencias/Cesar_Rosado.pdf

I think there is a bee school in the Botantical Garden in Santo Domingo too.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lots of beekeepers on what is called La Linea - the road which goes from Santiago to Monte Cristi in the northwest corner of the island. Most of them are small scale, but there is a growing boom in the keeping of bees and making honey.

There is a Dominican beekeepers association - http://apidom.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ApiculturaDominicana/
http://www.cedaf.org.do/eventos/FEDECCAPI2015/memoria/ponencias/Cesar_Rosado.pdf

I think there is a bee school in the Botantical Garden in Santo Domingo too.

Matilda

i always thought that La Linea started at Navarette, but i guess you learn something new every day..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of our Campo neighbors leases out a good portion of his land to a beekeeper. I've never seen the setup, but Mr AE has. He said they take 55 gallon drums of honey out of there. 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i always thought that La Linea started at Navarette, but i guess you learn something new every day..

Who knows. When you are at the bus station in Santiago at what was the rotunda and isn't round any more, they shout the bus for La Linea. No idea whether the actual Linea starts in Santiago or Navarette but the bees are after Navarette.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Who knows. When you are at the bus station in Santiago at what was the rotunda and isn't round any more, they shout the bus for La Linea. No idea whether the actual Linea starts in Santiago or Navarette but the bees are after Navarette.

Matilda

yes, Matilda, and so are the goats. once you get past places like Laguna Salada, that is chivo country.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
yes, Matilda, and so are the goats. once you get past places like Laguna Salada, that is chivo country.

Yes, nothing like a bit of goat. One of the most famous goat restaurants is near me - Cacique. It must seat around 150 people and every Sunday is full. The goat is amazing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, nothing like a bit of goat. One of the most famous goat restaurants is near me - Cacique. It must seat around 150 people and every Sunday is full. The goat is amazing.

please say the name of the town it is in...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
please say the name of the town it is in...

I did! It is in Cacique (where I live) which is on the road from los Quemados to Monción. It is in the centre of the village opposite the village shop and next to the village department store. Turn right after department store and parking behind it. They only offer goat (with rice and beans or moro, tostones, salad, casabe (aka cardboard) or fried chicken. Packed out on a Sunday including a group of Harley Davidson riders who come every Sunday. Open daily noon till 4 ish I think. Not for dinner.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I did! It is in Cacique (where I live) which is on the road from los Quemados to Monción. It is in the centre of the village opposite the village shop and next to the village department store. Turn right after department store and parking behind it. They only offer goat (with rice and beans or moro, tostones, salad, casabe (aka cardboard) or fried chicken. Packed out on a Sunday including a group of Harley Davidson riders who come every Sunday. Open daily noon till 4 ish I think. Not for dinner.

Matilda

thanks a heap. sounds like a real cultural event..

haitises

Jun 2, 2008
If you are going to be traveling to the La Romana/Punta Cana send me a PM with the dates. I have a dozen hives for this season and should have a small production to sell locally. I hope to at least double after the season. My advisor has been a local guy and the apiary director from the Punta Cana Foundation. They have over 300 hives, have won best honey in the country 3 years in a row and do very well selling their product nationawide.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here's a couple of my favorites.

The Fronteriza stuff is really good.

I consume quite a bit of honey since I gave up on sugar last year.

It's surprising to me how many brands of honey here have a clump of sugar at the bottom of the container.

By the way, will the ability to post pictures again ever happen?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As with everything here in the dr, buyer beware.
Lots of honey is watered down with glucose de mais (corn sugar/syrup ? ).

Hard to tell the diffrence if you just eat it by the spoon, or smeared on bread.
However for cooking its a diffrent story.
I enjoy making jalao, which is a sweet/desert , made out of honey, grated cocunut, spices ( canella, nutmeg.....).
I make it on an outside wood stove in a big pan.
If the honey is pure, the consistency and colour is easily obtained.
However with unpure honey, the process is much harder.
And of course if i use honey, its also because i dont want to use corn sugar.

Again, as with most things in the dr, you will know with time, who to buy honey from, and who not to buy honey from.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Expert needed :)

As with everything here in the dr, buyer beware.
Lots of honey is watered down with glucose de mais (corn sugar/syrup ? ).

Hard to tell the diffrence if you just eat it by the spoon, or smeared on bread.
However for cooking its a diffrent story.
I enjoy making jalao, which is a sweet/desert , made out of honey, grated cocunut, spices ( canella, nutmeg.....).
I make it on an outside wood stove in a big pan.
If the honey is pure, the consistency and colour is easily obtained.
However with unpure honey, the process is much harder.
And of course if i use honey, its also because i dont want to use corn sugar.

Again, as with most things in the dr, you will know with time, who to buy honey from, and who not to buy honey from.

Besides cooking Honey, is there a way to tell the diluted one from the pure one ?? I know you said it s hard to tell, but just in case.

Sam1981

Jan 1, 2017
Besides cooking Honey, is there a way to tell the diluted one from the pure one ?? I know you said it s hard to tell, but just in case.

There is a water test.. add a table spoon of honey in a glass of water. Pure honey will settle on the bottom, syrup will dissolve and you will see it around the water.