Hello from NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

StringTheory

Feb 5, 2017
I'll be visiting Santo Domingo in late Feb for a few weeks for vacation and to learn about investment opportunities. What are the best areas for activities, nightlife and what neighborhoods should I avoid?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'll be visiting Santo Domingo in late Feb for a few weeks for vacation and to learn about investment opportunities. What are the best areas for activities, nightlife and what neighborhoods should I avoid?

Welcome. What kind of investment opportunities are you talking about, real estate, business, or other? Will you be in Santo Domingo for the entire stay? I am sure that many who live in SD can fill you in on the rest. Good luck and good travels.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

be careful about whom you choose to instruct you in matters of investment opportunities. try to shy away from the guys who tell you that there is this guy called Moises who gives you 18% return on your money, if you deposit it with him.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
be careful about whom you choose to instruct you in matters of investment opportunities. try to shy away from the guys who tell you that there is this guy called Moises who gives you 18% return on your money, if you deposit it with him.

Does he say he will take you to the promise land or just I have bridge I can sell you?

StringTheory

Feb 5, 2017
Welcome. What kind of investment opportunities are you talking about, real estate, business, or other? Will you be in Santo Domingo for the entire stay? I am sure that many who live in SD can fill you in on the rest. Good luck and good travels.

I am looking specifically for real estate and yes, staying entirely in Santo Domingo with a short trip to Boca Chica.

StringTheory

Feb 5, 2017

Thank you, I definitely have my guard up already.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hola and welcome, more than ovoid places I should say avoid dark streets, try to dress like locals and dont use expensive jewls.

About places to invest Colonial Zone in Santo Doming is going back to life, and do not decided anything so fast.  Be careful, explore all the options and enjoy your vacations.

Greettings from San Pedro.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hey string, I was surprised the first time I went to boca chica. It is a dump.  The beach is nice and the swimming is ok for splash-around activities, especially for kids as it is protected.  The only positive thing about the town is it is close to SD.  If you are dude alone it will be assumed you are up to no good.  You will be propositioned by pimps or drug dealers constantly.  The night life is solely around drinking and 50+ men dancing with  (hopefully) 18+ Girls.  Weekends are ok if you like to watch families having fun.  Sitting under a palapa enjoying cold beer and decent seafood is fun.  But the beach vendors give a hard sell and rarely take no for an answer.  

Personally, I've never understood the -Dominican women are so hot- meme.  My interests lay elsewhere anyway, and I  think the same thing about the dudes.

I still go to dr at least twice a year, but just long weekends.  Never been to the north coast.  It's still on my list for potential retirement destination in about ten years.  The whole electricity and water thing are big issue.  The process for snowbirds seems cumbersome and I would only want to be legal.  Plus middle and upper class Dominicans shy away from foreigners.  I'm not a snob, but I don't hangout with waiters and waitresses at home and don't really care to in dr. Also securing my belongings when I return to USA every few months or take other trips is a problem.  

Anyway, without a car in SD you are limited to the colonial zone and its environs. You can find a quiet street, but it is a city with all the associated problems, especially traffic.  I like the commercial area around ave. Duarte and Chinatown, mainly because it reminds me of Washington heights in NYC.  

You'll get lots of advice in you real estate thread which you should heed.  Also, scour the archives.  The sankie and cuera threads are very entertaining.  Too bad nobody here wants to hear about the buggarone phenomena which I imagine would be equally entertaining.  

Have fun and don't trust anyone who says "my fren". The more English an uneducated person speaks should be a warning sign, imho.  

Have fun and join in the forum.  

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Does he say he will take you to the promise land or just I have bridge I can sell you?

he says that the banks are giving 3%, but he is smarter than the banks, so he can give you 18%. he knows something they don't know. when you give him your life savings, the bridge comes free with your receipt.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
he says that the banks are giving 3%, but he is smarter than the banks, so he can give you 18%. he knows something they don't know. when you give him your life savings, the bridge comes free with your receipt.

Dont laugh, but when I first started going to the DR (the Capital)...the group i was traveling with used to say " You know you can get 14% + down here on your money, so its not bad,, a lot of good things here you cant get back in the states"
Good thing I was just not greedy enough to give such Foolishness a second thought... but quite a few people have fallen for this over the years .. My guess is their real problems started when they tried to get back their Principal .. Just amazing how Gullible people can be..
But the way it was briefly explained to me as "plausible" is that in poor countries like the DR, People can not get CREDIT , so these Other types of Lenders Charge much higher interest Rates to these high Risk folks , and therefore can AFFORD to Borrow money at much higher rates,,, ergo the Investor who will get his 14%+ Cut ... that just seemed Wrong to me on so many levels ..so I was never even tempted .

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Avoid investing.

StringTheory

Feb 5, 2017
Hola and welcome, more than ovoid places I should say avoid dark streets, try to dress like locals and dont use expensive jewls.

About places to invest Colonial Zone in Santo Doming is going back to life, and do not decided anything so fast.  Be careful, explore all the options and enjoy your vacations.

Greettings from San Pedro.

Thank you for the tips!

StringTheory

Feb 5, 2017
Hey string, I was surprised the first time I went to boca chica. It is a dump.  The beach is nice and the swimming is ok for splash-around activities, especially for kids as it is protected.  The only positive thing about the town is it is close to SD.  If you are dude alone it will be assumed you are up to no good.  You will be propositioned by pimps or drug dealers constantly.  The night life is solely around drinking and 50+ men dancing with  (hopefully) 18+ Girls.  Weekends are ok if you like to watch families having fun.  Sitting under a palapa enjoying cold beer and decent seafood is fun.  But the beach vendors give a hard sell and rarely take no for an answer.  

Personally, I've never understood the -Dominican women are so hot- meme.  My interests lay elsewhere anyway, and I  think the same thing about the dudes.

I still go to dr at least twice a year, but just long weekends.  Never been to the north coast.  It's still on my list for potential retirement destination in about ten years.  The whole electricity and water thing are big issue.  The process for snowbirds seems cumbersome and I would only want to be legal.  Plus middle and upper class Dominicans shy away from foreigners.  I'm not a snob, but I don't hangout with waiters and waitresses at home and don't really care to in dr. Also securing my belongings when I return to USA every few months or take other trips is a problem.  

Anyway, without a car in SD you are limited to the colonial zone and its environs. You can find a quiet street, but it is a city with all the associated problems, especially traffic.  I like the commercial area around ave. Duarte and Chinatown, mainly because it reminds me of Washington heights in NYC.  

You'll get lots of advice in you real estate thread which you should heed.  Also, scour the archives.  The sankie and cuera threads are very entertaining.  Too bad nobody here wants to hear about the buggarone phenomena which I imagine would be equally entertaining.  

Have fun and don't trust anyone who says "my fren". The more English an uneducated person speaks should be a warning sign, imho.  

Have fun and join in the forum.  

Well, I do appreciate the honest review of Boca Chica. I was looking forward to the beach there but I will make share I go as a group. Definitely not there for damas or cocaina.

Do you have any recommendations on where to go for good food?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
3 places to eat in Boca Chica:
1. Boca Marina
2. Neptuno's
3. Bocana
Now, this does not mean there are not other places. There are tons. I am only providing you with 3 places I have eaten at in the last 6 weeks. The quality is very good, and therefore the prices will be on par with New York. For example, a Presidente pequena in Boca Marina is 280 pesos. I was there last Tuesday. Go with a bottle of wine instead. Remember, in a restaurant, you're not just paying for the food (as should be), but also the ambiance/views/service etc.....
Just from experience, you get more bang (no pun intended) for your buck in Juan Dolio. Only 10-15 minutes removed from Boca Chica. Great restaurants. More affordable prices. No Northshore BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.