Police Pay Rises

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Last edited:

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
This will not stop them from shaking down gringos. They are still way below what we would consider a living wage. They will still be involved in illegal activities. I think many join because they think it is license to steal.

There is no quick and easy solution, it has to be a process. This process takes time, and should have already been in the works, but can still start now, with at LEAST a 5 point approach.
1. It is on the Dominican government to resolve this problem, and they need to want to. This starts by acknowledging that there is a problem. Without an acknowledgement, nothing will ever be resolved.
2. Yes, this pay raise was welcomed and much needed, but should be repeated in 12 months, in order to gradually try and level out the circumstances. If they wait another 5 years before acting it will be for naught. No, they will not be compensated like US or European organizations, but they could and should be paid at least a market living wage for the Dominican Republic. These positions need to be compensated correctly and fairly, in order for those that hold the positions to believe they actually hold some value, and would not want to jeopardize losing their jobs. Nobody wants to lose something that has value.
3. Corruption needs to be addressed. Start at the top, not at the bottom (see next point). When these higher level officials are caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Goodbye. Lose it all. No pension. Too many are caught red handed, and allowed to exit the back door with full pensions. So, what is the deterrent? Correct, there currently isn't one. Cut lose some of these higher ups who have been dirty for years. They leave with nothing, and people will start taking notice.
4. Continue addressing the corruption, also from the bottom. If somebody is caught dirty....fire them. Period. Not to be rehired in 5 or 10 years. Fired. Period. Punto. It's amazing how many rehires this agency has, which I believe is due to the dirty ones mentioned in point #3. The younger ones will start taking notice, and while also looking at the problem from the bottom on up, if they see their superiors are under the same microscope, changes will start to occur.
5. Advise tourists, foreign residents, expats that it is not acceptable to dish out money as such and if they do, they can be subjected to some sort of legal enforcement...ie: Attempted Bribery/Bribery. If this community believes enforcement will be taken against them, watch how fast the pesos stop passing hands.
Now, let's not get crazy now. In order to correct a problem, you need to admit there is a problem, and tackle it from all ends. So, this is a start. No, nothing in life is 100% fail safe or guaranteed, but you need to start somewhere.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There is no quick and easy solution, it has to be a process. This process takes time, and should have already been in the works, but can still start now, with at LEAST a 5 point approach.
1. It is on the Dominican government to resolve this problem, and they need to want to. This starts by acknowledging that there is a problem. Without an acknowledgement, nothing will ever be resolved.
2. Yes, this pay raise was welcomed and much needed, but should be repeated in 12 months, in order to gradually try and level out the circumstances. If they wait another 5 years before acting it will be for naught. No, they will not be compensated like US or European organizations, but they could and should be paid at least a market living wage for the Dominican Republic. These positions need to be compensated correctly and fairly, in order for those that hold the positions to believe they actually hold some value, and would not want to jeopardize losing their jobs. Nobody wants to lose something that has value.
3. Corruption needs to be addressed. Start at the top, not at the bottom (see next point). When these higher level officials are caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Goodbye. Lose it all. No pension. Too many are caught red handed, and allowed to exit the back door with full pensions. So, what is the deterrent? Correct, there currently isn't one. Cut lose some of these higher ups who have been dirty for years. They leave with nothing, and people will start taking notice.
4. Continue addressing the corruption, also from the bottom. If somebody is caught dirty....fire them. Period. Not to be rehired in 5 or 10 years. Fired. Period. Punto. It's amazing how many rehires this agency has, which I believe is due to the dirty ones mentioned in point #3. The younger ones will start taking notice, and while also looking at the problem from the bottom on up, if they see their superiors are under the same microscope, changes will start to occur.
5. Advise tourists, foreign residents, expats that it is not acceptable to dish out money as such and if they do, they can be subjected to some sort of legal enforcement...ie: Attempted Bribery/Bribery. If this community believes enforcement will be taken against them, watch how fast the pesos stop passing hands.
Now, let's not get crazy now. In order to correct a problem, you need to admit there is a problem, and tackle it from all ends. So, this is a start. No, nothing in life is 100% fail safe or guaranteed, but you need to start somewhere.

this is a great idea ...but it relies on politicians to do the right thing and that is not going to happen in our lifetime ...corruption is what they live for ...not just in Dominican republic but throughout the world
the rewards are to great for them...just look at " the great felix bautista " and odebrecht

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
this is a great idea ...but it relies on politicians to do the right thing and that is not going to happen in our lifetime ...corruption is what they live for ...not just in Dominican republic but throughout the world
the rewards are to great for them...just look at " the great felix bautista " and odebrecht

Sad, but true.

suspiro2

Aug 24, 2012
What about the Policia Municipal? Are the governed by a completely different set of regulations?
Are their salaries controlled by the municipio they are serving?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This will not stop them from shaking down gringos. They are still way below what we would consider a living wage. They will still be involved in illegal activities. I think many join because they think it is license to steal.

I'm not so sure.

With a better wage, I think there will be more folks interested in joining the force. Folks with better preparation and education.
There is a huge amount of people here who are educated but have a lot of difficulty finding a job. 16K is also very close to what workers in most service companies are paying, like store employees, malls and such.

Keep in mind these new wages will put them quite a bit above what most workers make in free zones.

I can guarantee you the existing force will receive these increases with open arms.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'm not so sure.

With a better wage, I think there will be more folks interested in joining the force. Folks with better preparation and education.
There is a huge amount of people here who are educated but have a lot of difficulty finding a job. 16K is also very close to what workers in most service companies are paying, like store employees, malls and such.

Keep in mind these new wages will put them quite a bit above what most workers make in free zones.

I can guarantee you the existing force will receive these increases with open arms.

Add to that the pension and the medical cover for person and family, plus the incentive on housing announced and it begins to add up to a decent package for the base employee with promotion opportunities.

There also has been quite a few police expelled since the new police law came into force for corrupt behavior and changes at regional level. A lot more will be more cautious about the way they behave going forward with a lot more to lose now.

Interesting to note that the 'dog handlers' may not be getting the second rise announced this week.

Last edited:

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
and maybe with the first increased pay check they can run out and buy a helmet to wear when riding around on their motorbikes....hard to pull someone over for not having a helmet when the police don't wear them

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
and maybe with the first increased pay check they can run out and buy a helmet to wear when riding around on their motorbikes....hard to pull someone over for not having a helmet when the police don't wear them

A provided civilian police uniform would be a good next step with accessories. I do hope those ringing the changes do just that.

AMET (or rather whatever they are called now) do wear helmets (at least in Santo Domingo) and are there to implement (the amended) traffic laws rather than PN.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010

I was going down Kennedy today and saw  two PN followed by two Army guys on motorcycles sin helmets.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So basically... Presidente is going to see a noticable boost in sales first quarter of 2017.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
1 out of 3 PN at our place had a moto. Now 3 our of 3 have a moto. We are a couple of miles to the office and they would walk. Now they can ride... with pride? They took lots of photos on and around the new bikes. These guys felt great and looked great. BIG lift to their attitudes.

Good for them. I see that possible loans/programs for home ownership is also possible.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Reading some of the above. Direct and on the ground observations. 3 PN living in apt. 300 feet from the main house with me overlooking the property. The apt. is 20 feet from the front gate.

The PN have been very professional and always in clean crisp uniforms. These are cleaned by a service that they drop off and pick up from the main station. Being on my property is see a lot. They don't drink, are never loud, a cleaning girl every now and then that enters the gate/apt and leaves directly out the gate. Other friends do the same. That was the agreement that that no one wonders around the property. Into the apt and out.

My wife and I have kept an "arms length" distance but amiable (sp) and friendly. But we don't want to get to close. I think that we have a respectable situation that is working.

When we do happen to run into each other.................. It's hugs. Really. They are so happy and open yelling my/our names with arms open and bear hugs.

I never thought that I'd be writing about this cause everyone here in the DR are "looking to take you". To some point true. But I've been changing to seeing that some just want to do their jobs. With a little respect and recognition they will do better.

Long post and ya.... 2 drink post.