Order to block cell phones in prisons

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Chamber of Deputies has approved the second and final reading for the bill that proposes to implement bans on the use of cell phones in jails. The bill orders prison wardens to block the cell phone signals in their facilities.

The initiative proposed by deputy Juan Julio Campos (PLD-La Altagracia), highlights that a number of crimes have been instigated from inside the jails themselves. Inmates have been known to use cell phones to plan extortion, threats, kidnappings, homicides, escapes and other crimes.

In addition, the bill states that drug dealing in prisons is being carried out using cell phones, and threatens the security of the population as a whole.

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does this mean that nobody will be able to use a cell phone, including the guards and the warden at any prison in the DR? That is how I read it if they use a device to block all cell phone signals.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Are the wardens responsible for setting up a program that blocks the signals, or are these measures already in place, and it's the warden's responsibility to assure that they are properly functioning at all times?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The Chamber of Deputies has approved the second and final reading for the bill that proposes to implement bans on the use of cell phones in jails. The bill orders prison wardens to block the cell phone signals in their facilities.

The initiative proposed by deputy Juan Julio Campos (PLD-La Altagracia), highlights that a number of crimes have been instigated from inside the jails themselves. Inmates have been known to use cell phones to plan extortion, threats, kidnappings, homicides, escapes and other crimes.

In addition, the bill states that drug dealing in prisons is being carried out using cell phones, and threatens the security of the population as a whole.

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

The inmates are going to be ****ed Luuuuuuccccccyyyyy. They won't be able to call for a pizza delivery!

JoshH

Feb 15, 2017
I must admit prison life is easy for a lot of prisoners these days. And taking a phone away won't do much due to contraband